Tips for nailing your interview and landing a job.

kicker

Ok, so here's some advice for getting the interview and nailing it.

-------------------------

1. Don't add a personal statement to your resume. Most people try to be clever on their personal statement. I have a top ten list I keep, because they're all just that ridiculous. If your experience doesn't speak for itself, you're not going to get the interview anyway. Instead, attach a cover letter.

2. Get a respectable email address. bigjuicy69@hotmail.com is going to get your resume placed in the round file every time. I can't tell you how many times I see it.

3. Employers do google you. Don't put anything on facebook or your blog that you don't want an employer to know.

4. Wear a suit. Always. Don't wear cologne or strong body wash. Just don't.

5. The economy sucks. Be prepared to start on the ground and work your way up. Leave your pride in the closet when considering a job.

2. Get a respectable email address. bigjuicy69@hotmail.com is going to get your resume placed in the round file every time.

:lol:

Also, cut your ******* hair. I know you want to be an individual and your hairstyle shouldn't reflect on how hard of a worker you are, but don't show up with a nasty, unkempt do. First appearances are everything.

1. Don't add a personal statement to your resume. Most people try to be clever on their personal statement. I have a top ten list I keep, because they're all just that ridiculous. If your experience doesn't speak for itself, you're not going to get the interview anyway. Instead, attach a cover letter.

2. Get a respectable email address. bigjuicy69@hotmail.com is going to get your resume placed in the round file every time. I can't tell you how many times I see it.

3. Employers do google you. Don't put anything on facebook or your blog that you don't want an employer to know.

5. The economy sucks. Be prepared to start on the ground and work your way up. Leave your pride in the closet when considering a job.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Drive yourself to the interview. Don't get a ride. I have seen that too many times.

Turn your phone off, or better yet...leave it in the car that you drove in. When a phone goes off and during the interview and they react, it's over.

^^^

THIS!

Remember, even McDonalds has a dress code. If you show up looking like you can't dress yourself, they have every right to assume you can't dress yourself.

It may sound simple, but don't be late.

Watch for spelling mistakes on any application, resume or whatever you have to fill out.

Yes, I give people **** for spelling. Because it matters. If you think what you are trying to say matters, spell like you think it matters.

Don't bad mouth your last employer, even if they deserve it. Your new boss will assume you will do the same about him.

Unless you are interviewing for a wrestling or rap job, leave the ten pounds of gold at home.

The less potential employers know about your personal life, the better. Take off your wedding/engagement ring before the interview. The employer doesn't need to know if you're married or not. Do not mention your spouse or children during the interview. I know it sounds cruel, but employers don't like to hire employees with big, young families because it means that you may have too many commitments that keep you from working. If you smoke, wash your mouth out with some mouthwash before the interview. Cover up them tatoos. Speak with a strong, confident voice. Be nice and respectful to everyone you meet, rather it be the receptionist or the janitor.

I always show up 15 minutes before the interview time... usually catches them off guard.

And this is random, but a common question is if you view yourself as an introvert or an extrovert... ALWAYS say you're an extrovert, even if you hate people. You're always a self starting extovert who enjoys working in teams... regardless of the truth. If you say you're an introvert, they'll take that as you saying you're socially inept. Just one of those things.

Remember, even McDonalds has a dress code. If you show up looking like you can't dress yourself, they have every right to assume you can't dress yourself.

It may sound simple, but don't be late.

Watch for spelling mistakes on any application, resume or whatever you have to fill out.

Yes, I give people **** for spelling. Because it matters. If you think what you are trying to say matters, spell like you think it matters.

Don't bad mouth your last employer, even if they deserve it. Your new boss will assume you will do the same about him.

Unless you are interviewing for a wrestling or rap job, leave the ten pounds of gold at home.

This x10.

Also, wear pants.

The less potential employers know about your personal life, the better. Take off your wedding/engagement ring before the interview. The employer doesn't need to know if you're married or not. Do not mention your spouse or children during the interview. I know it sounds cruel, but employers don't like to hire employees with big, young families because it means that you may have too many commitments that keep you from working. If you smoke, wash your mouth out with some mouthwash before the interview. Cover up them tatoos. Speak with a strong, confident voice. Be nice and respectful to everyone you meet, rather it be the receptionist or the janitor.

I disagree with that sentiment. Married individuals with or without kids tend to be more responsible and/or more mature. Also, not wearing a ring during an interview and then wearing one to work or showing up to work with pictures of your kids sends off a signal that you lied. How are you going to explain away having to take a sick day to stay at home with a sick child or spouse? You may have a point about other personal lifestyle choices such as religion, however saying that you should cover up the fact that you're married is laughable.

I always show up 15 minutes before the interview time... usually catches them off guard.

And this is random, but a common question is if you view yourself as an introvert or an extrovert... ALWAYS say you're an extrovert, even if you hate people. You're always a self starting extovert who enjoys working in teams... regardless of the truth. If you say you're an introvert, they'll take that as you saying you're socially inept. Just one of those things.

15 minutes early is being late in my book, I'm always somewhere at least 15 minutes early... but I grew up a military brat and it later served me well in college where I had a football coach that started every meeting and practice 10 minutes earlier than the scheduled time.

Agreed. When I interview, though I am not legally allowed to ask, I do try and find out in a round-a-bout way if they are married. To me, that shows security as they have responsibilities and thus are more likely to show up and to do a good job.

Agreed. If they bring it up we talk about it, but otherwise it's illegal to ask any questions about family and health.

I talked to a headhunter one time and he told me if a place interviewing says dress buisness casual for the interview. Its ususally a trick question, why he said always dress up, because a lot of people will just show up and not dress up, dressing up means your serious about the job. ;)

Agreed. When I interview, though I am not legally allowed to ask, I do try and find out in a round-a-bout way if they are married. To me, that shows security as they have responsibilities and thus are more likely to show up and to do a good job.

Exactly, you're not as likely to job hop if you're married or you're married with kids. Not that many people can job hop these days but it's something about a ring that gives people a different level of respect, if that's what it can be called or described as. When I was younger and working in the government contracts field I was often over looked because I wasn't married, the government agents I dealt with always gravitated towards my married coworkers.

Exactly, you're not as likely to job hop if you're married or you're married with kids. Not that many people can job hop these days but it's something about a ring that gives people a different level of respect, if that's what it can be called or described as. When I was younger and working in the government contracts field I was often over looked because I wasn't married, the government agents I dealt with always gravitated towards my married coworkers.

I'd say at the same time lots of married people may have their heart in the right place but end up with a lot on their plate and have more problems with stuff outside of work than anyone else. They'll be stressed out for a month because their wife just had a kid, or their schedule is all screwed up because they have to pick their kid up every day from daycare and be with them/arrange for someone else to be, etc.

Drive yourself to the interview. Don't get a ride.

Not everyone has lived your charmed life buddy. If you discriminate based on current financial standing then you're a *********, glad I don't work for you.

And just because the economy sucks doesn't mean my years of experience are meaningless. If you want entry level positions filled hire entry level talent.

This thread is an epic fail by a bunch of mouth-breathers.

Being married makes you a better employee? Do you know how many man-hours are lost due to "family issues"? Get real. You people are why we are in an economic depression.

Not everyone has lived your charmed life buddy. If you discriminate based on current financial standing then you're a *********, glad I don't work for you.

And just because the economy sucks doesn't mean my years of experience are meaningless. If you want entry level positions filled hire entry level talent.

This thread is an epic fail by a bunch of mouth-breathers.

Being married makes you a better employee? Do you know how many man-hours are lost due to "family issues"? Get real. You people are why we are in an economic depression.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Do you honestly think employers give a rats *** about what kind of life you've lived? They want to know you can get to work. They can't ask you if you've got a car, but they can **** sure look out the window and see that your girlfriend dropped you off. As mentioned, I'm in the staffing BUSINESS. I like to know if my employees are going to have a problem getting to work every day. If they are, I'm not going to risk an account by putting someone in a position I'll have to refill in two weeks. After all, I run a business, not daycare.

I'll fill a position with anyone that's willing to work. There's this wonderful thing called supply and demand. In the workforce, it rarely if ever balances such that all people are content with their position and all businesses are content with their talent. In a booming economy, workers have the advantage. In a recession, businesses hold the cards.

Being married makes you a more stable employee. Like it or not, you're less likely to move, more likely to be committed financially to your position, and more likely to think long term.

And for what it's worth, I talk to people like you all the time. Entitled to a job? Wake the **** up. Your talent means **** without the ability to sell it.