Jason Snelling got a 2nd round tender

atljbo

I guess speed does hold some value...Snelling clearly earned a 1st round tender over Norwood IMO, but se la vi...I'm glad to see we're getting things done quickly. Goes to show how much our FO takes care of business...they probably already had assigned tenders to these guys prior to the draft. Hopefully Grimey gets his turn soon.

With the tender on Norwood and Snelling...The Falcons aren't looking for another RB...unless it's very late in the draft.

Nobody is going to give a #1 for Norwood, or a #2 for Snelling.

I was shocked by the tenders, but TD runs the team...so let the chips fall where they may.

Aside from week 17, the only thing Snelling showed us is that he IS a back-up. I appreciate the effort we got from him, but we can definitely upgrade our backup RB situation.

Aww, man, that was harsh! Too harsh, IMO. I'm not saying he's ready to start, but he was a few hairs above "serviceable" filling in for Turner. We need a change of pace back, maybe - that would improve any "situation" we might have at RB. But Snelling isn't any way shape or fashion the cause of said "situation". He is much closer to the word "solution" then "situation". :P

I think it is very smart that we put a 2nd rd tender on Snelling, for some reason I could see the Chargers giving us a 2nd rd pick for him. I know some wont agree but they have no runningbacks and with that passing attack to have a guy that can carry the load and only have 15 to 20 carries a game I think Snelling solves a problem for them. He showed he can carry the ball really well and his hands is what I think will be so attractive to the Chargers.

It's actually almost a surprise to me that Snelling was a 2nd and Norwood was a 1st...

Snelling made himself look worthy of the first to me this last season. Norwood is a barbie-doll and gets a first round tender?

Agreed, poutlipper please don't spew drivel here, there are impressionable young minds that do not realize you know nothing.

No one is going to give a 1st for Norwood, but I could see some teams tempted to take Snelling for a 2nd. Snelling is a less talented William Andrews, and is an asset for any team he plays for.

* Runs hard and aggressive, picking up extra yards after contact, a bruiser

* Blocks well as a FB

* Can pass block

* Can catch passes out of the backfield and pick up yards

* Special Teams tackling ace

Now getting all that in a 7th round pick? That's ridiculous value.

Norwood > Snelling and it isn't even close. No one will trade a 2nd for Snelling when they could draft a much better back by holding onto their pick. Snelling is a back up FB and a back up RB. He is a good back up at both spots. Norwood is a great 3rd down back and kick returner. He also is a playmaker. Folks should really look at more than last season before deciding a player's quality.

Norwood > Snelling and it isn't even close. No one will trade a 2nd for Snelling when they could draft a much better back by holding onto their pick. Snelling is a back up FB and a back up RB. He is a good back up at both spots. Norwood is a great 3rd down back and kick returner. He also is a playmaker. Folks should really look at more than last season before deciding a player's quality.

My guess is that TD said that we will spend X-amount of dollars in the backfield. If we tender Norwood and get a 1st, then that would be great, if not, we were going to end up paying a serviceable backup that much money anyway. It might as well be someone that we are familiar with. Since Snelling has more immediate value, let's tender him as a 2nd. If someone wants to give us a 2nd, then we have just made progress in value. If not, then we were going to pay him the 2nd round tender anyway, so we can keep our backfield intact for 1 more year.

They question is then, "Why Snelling a 2nd, and Norwood a 1st?". My guess is that Snelling is most likely to receive an offer, so let's make him more tempting with a lower tender. Let's put a higher one on the guy that is less likely to leave because it fits into the budget and if we lose Snelling, we also don't want to lose Norwood because we have to have some continuity at the backup spot.

Again, I have no idea, but that is the scenario that makes most sense to me.

Edited by hoopscoach21

Snelling is a great role player, but his skill level isnt in the same league as a healthy Norwood.

I am not suprised Norwood got a higher tender, but am suprised that either of them got what they did.

I would have done 2nd on Norwood and 3rd on Snelling.