Weatherspoon or Spivey?

Sean Weatherspoon-LB- Player Mar. 3 - 2:58 pm et

Citing "intel" from the NFL Combine, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the Falcons "love" Mizzou LB Sean Weatherspoon.

Weatherspoon figures to be a consideration for Atlanta at No. 19, though GM Thomas Dimitroff may lean toward players at more valuable positions. Rarely are 4-3 outside linebackers are deemed worthy of top-20 selections. The Falcons should be able to get one of the draft's premier corners in round one.

Source: Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Related: Falcons

Spoon on Rotoworld

Amari Spievey-DB- Player Mar. 3 - 12:18 pm et

The Falcons reportedly have Iowa CB Amari Spievey rated as a first-round prospect.

Spievey, timed in the high-4.4s to low-4.5s Tuesday, was one of NCAA's most physical corners a season ago. NFL Network's Deion Sanders was also impressed by Spievey's quick feet in drills. The Falcons pick 19th overall, and Spievey along with Boise State's Kyle Wilson may be on their radar.

Source: National Football Post

Related: Falcons

Amari on Rotoworld

Which of these two would fit the ATL defense the best?

Mike Peterson is venerable and was an obvious quick fix after Brooking left. Weatherspoon fills the void in a number of ways as he is young, proven productivity, and is known for his leadership skills on the field. The corners that Atlanta has now can get the job done once there is a pass rush, which will be helped with Jerry's return and Anderson hopefully being replaced by Biermann on the starting roster.

We could get both. Hopefully DE is helped via FA if that's the case. I like both.

I dunno...maybe if we manage to trade back, but even then we would most likely have to land 2 2nds or a 2nd and an early 3rd.

Spoon is definately a top 35-40 pick in my mind, just too much good film and athleticism to fall to the middle of the 2nd, IMO. Spievey, however, does have a chance of falling into the 50-75 range (late 2nd early 3rd) due to some off-field concerns and durability issues.

I wouldn't lose my sh!# if Spievey was even our first pick, but again, only if we trade back out of 19. Maybe if he interviewed extremely well and seems like a good scheme fit, TD & Co. could justify a second rounder on a guy they 'give a 1st round grade,' but I just don't see them spending a mid 1st rounder on a guy like Amari.

Where have you been? but I see your still hating on Spoon. But now that FA is almost here what do you realisticly think we will do?

Not hating on spoon anymore, and I actually think he could be a good LB, but i also think that we can find a OLB that can be effective for us in the later rounds, espeicially considering this draft is LB deep. I also think that based on our needs and positional value DE and CB rank higher and are greater. TD is big on positional value IMO based on his previous drafts.

QB, OT, DT.

Not hating on spoon anymore, and I actually think he could be a good LB, but i also think that we can find a OLB that can be effective for us in the later rounds, espeicially considering this draft is LB deep. I also think that based on our needs and positional value DE and CB rank higher and are greater. TD is big on positional value IMO based on his previous drafts.

QB, OT, DT.

But this year we are not in the same situation as the last 2. I mean the needs we had the lst 2 seasons were a lot and this year DE, CB, OLB, O-lineman, TE, WR are our biggest needs. But because we drafted Owens and Grimes player really well at the end of the season, Jackson can still turn out to be a very good player, maybe drafting another young gun in the 1st rd is not as high as we think it is. Or DE We have 2 very young guys in Kroy and Sid to take another DE in the first would almost be like stock piling the position.

So we will see either a good CB come in from Free Agency or possibly the 3rd rd of the draft but we are in nned of another player at CB. While at DE Kroy might not be the best at stopping the run yet but he has only been in the league for 2 years, we will never know what we have until we let them have the best chacne to showcase their skills. The only reason I want to see Kroy get his shot is he was a 5th rd pick from Montana and in 2 years has become a very key player to this team wether it be on ST, or passing downs he gives everything he has and becasue of it there is no reason to cut him short and say no we will not give him his shot to prove he can stop the run.

At OLN it's different. Wehter you believe it or not Adkins is 2 to 3 years away from being considered anything at the OLB position Petes old an we dont have a big time player that can step in for him.

But this year we are not in the same situation as the last 2. I mean the needs we had the lst 2 seasons were a lot and this year DE, CB, OLB, O-lineman, TE, WR are our biggest needs. But because we drafted Owens and Grimes player really well at the end of the season, Jackson can still turn out to be a very good player, maybe drafting another young gun in the 1st rd is not as high as we think it is. Or DE We have 2 very young guys in Kroy and Sid to take another DE in the first would almost be like stock piling the position.

So we will see either a good CB come in from Free Agency or possibly the 3rd rd of the draft but we are in nned of another player at CB. While at DE Kroy might not be the best at stopping the run yet but he has only been in the league for 2 years, we will never know what we have until we let them have the best chacne to showcase their skills. The only reason I want to see Kroy get his shot is he was a 5th rd pick from Montana and in 2 years has become a very key player to this team wether it be on ST, or passing downs he gives everything he has and becasue of it there is no reason to cut him short and say no we will not give him his shot to prove he can stop the run.

At OLN it's different. Wehter you believe it or not Adkins is 2 to 3 years away from being considered anything at the OLB position Petes old an we dont have a big time player that can step in for him.

Just like you think that Adkins is 2 to 3 years away I believe the same about Sidbury, and think that Beirmann leans more toward a RDE/situational pass rusher, which various reports have confirmed. Also the interviews and comments from actual falcon FO and Coaching staff tend to point that they feel DE is a need this draft and that we need help at DE more than OLB. Coach smith has stated that Adkins has surpassed expectations this year and has positione himself to earn more playing time with a good Training camp/Preseason. I am basing my opinions off of what I saw from watch the tape of the Falcons from preseason/and regular season and also the comments from TD and coaching staff.

WE need a DE and we need a CB period regardless of how you currently feel about who we have on our roster, the question becomes will we address those need via FA or the draft.

Just like you think that Adkins is 2 to 3 years away I believe the same about Sidbury, and think that Beirmann leans more toward a RDE/situational pass rusher, which various reports have confirmed. Also the interviews and comments from actual falcon FO and Coaching staff tend to point that they feel DE is a need this draft and that we need help at DE more than OLB. Coach smith has stated that Adkins has surpassed expectations this year and has positione himself to earn more playing time with a good Training camp/Preseason. I am basing my opinions off of what I saw from watch the tape of the Falcons from preseason/and regular season and also the comments from TD and coaching staff.

WE need a DE and we need a CB period regardless of how you currently feel about who we have on our roster, the question becomes will we address those need via FA or the draft.

I agree that Sid is still a few years away but he is closer than Adkins because Sid has seen the field. But last year we drafted Jerry in hopes that he would improve the pass rush from the first game it looked like a good deal then he got injured. We where willing to see if he could help out the pass rush but didnt get to so why would we not give it another shot and see if he can make the layer beside him better and in this case with the production and development we saw from Kroy, Kroy isnt a bad guy to put beside Peria.

A DE is needed but it's only needed if Kroy and Sid show that they are only pass rushing DE's, and with only a rookie season for Sid and 2 years from Kroy we dont know all that they can do. You said the FO has said that we need to improve our pass rushing but where do they say that will come from a DE or that we will find a DE to rush the passer and play the run? Like you said Kroy can play the pass and the FO said we need a pass rush, maybe we already have that pass rush in Peria and we are waiting to bust it out. I'm not saying Peria will have a lot of sacks but he can make the people around him have a lot.

I agree that Sid is still a few years away but he is closer than Adkins because Sid has seen the field. But last year we drafted Jerry in hopes that he would improve the pass rush from the first game it looked like a good deal then he got injured. We where willing to see if he could help out the pass rush but didnt get to so why would we not give it another shot and see if he can make the layer beside him better and in this case with the production and development we saw from Kroy, Kroy isnt a bad guy to put beside Peria.

A DE is needed but it's only needed if Kroy and Sid show that they are only pass rushing DE's, and with only a rookie season for Sid and 2 years from Kroy we dont know all that they can do. You said the FO has said that we need to improve our pass rushing but where do they say that will come from a DE or that we will find a DE to rush the passer and play the run? Like you said Kroy can play the pass and the FO said we need a pass rush, maybe we already have that pass rush in Peria and we are waiting to bust it out. I'm not saying Peria will have a lot of sacks but he can make the people around him have a lot.

You are contradicting your prevoius pro- Weather spoon arguements. YOU stated that LB's can have a more immediate impact than DE because it takes longer for DE to learn and make an impact. Kroy is very inconsistent against the run, he lacks the strength to be effective against the bigger RT that you face as a LDE, being that it is usally the strong side. Kroy had a chance to beat our DAvis and JA98 as a starter this year, but didnt do it because of his weakness against the run.

You are contradicting your prevoius pro- Weather spoon arguements. YOU stated that LB's can have a more immediate impact than DE because it takes longer for DE to learn and make an impact. Kroy is very inconsistent against the run, he lacks the strength to be effective against the bigger RT that you face as a LDE, being that it is usally the strong side. Kroy had a chance to beat our DAvis and JA98 as a starter this year, but didnt do it because of his weakness against the run.

Or maybe he didnt beat them out because he was coming off of his rookie season. Your using that argument as a guideline as to why he didnt start. A 1st rd draft pick probably does beat them out his second year but being a 5ht rd pickits going to take a little while longer as in he could easily beat them out this upcoming TC.

And I dont understand how thats is contradicting myself. Spoon can come in and start day 1 a DE can but wont have the impact a OLB will have, but instead we have a DE in Kroy that has shown the production and he is going into his third year lets give him a chance to show he can stop the run and if he cant well great we will get a all around DE next year.

DE and CB are the same right now for this team. If we ran with what we have now and Kroy, Sid, Owens, Jackson could develope into starters. Kroy and Owens have the best shot of becoming starters and locking the spot down. So a 1st rd DE or CB is just not as big of a need. Go out and get a proven DE or CB if we want to upgrade DE or CB because we have guys ight now at DE and CB waiting to show they can handle a sarting role.

Or maybe he didnt beat them out because he was coming off of his rookie season. Your using that argument as a guideline as to why he didnt start. A 1st rd draft pick probably does beat them out his second year but being a 5ht rd pickits going to take a little while longer as in he could easily beat them out this upcoming TC.

And I dont understand how thats is contradicting myself. Spoon can come in and start day 1 a DE can but wont have the impact a OLB will have, but instead we have a DE in Kroy that has shown the production and he is going into his third year lets give him a chance to show he can stop the run and if he cant well great we will get a all around DE next year.

DE and CB are the same right now for this team. If we ran with what we have now and Kroy, Sid, Owens, Jackson could develope into starters. Kroy and Owens have the best shot of becoming starters and locking the spot down. So a 1st rd DE or CB is just not as big of a need. Go out and get a proven DE or CB if we want to upgrade DE or CB because we have guys ight now at DE and CB waiting to show they can handle a sarting role.

Look man we differ in opinion, but I am getting a headahce continuing to discuss Spoon, Biermann being a LDE, and DE. Lets agree to disagree and again if we drafted spoon i understand why because he is talented, but that doesnt mean I want/wanted to go in that same direction, but bottom line i trust TD to make the right decision.