Oji > Dahl? At pass blocking last year, yes.

sporkdevil

If anyone is unfamiliar with profootballfocus, they break down every player/position/etc. and place the information in some mathematical formula I didn't bother to look at.

Anyways, they started looking at lineman and their pass blocking ability:

One of the most interesting things about the rankings for guards and centers is who ended up with the best rankings. The top three, most noticeably, are players who were backups for their team and only got their chance through injury. Quinn Ojinnaka is not the mauler that Harvey Dahl is and lacks that nasty streak, but in the 200 snaps he had in pass protection he gave up two hits and one sack, compared to Dahl's three sacks, one hit and 11 pressures on twice as many snaps.

Yes, Ojinnaka had been terrible when we saw him play. He couldn't block. He would go offsides every play. But I guess he has improved, and maybe we shouldn't cut him (like I have suggested at least a dozen times).

And for anyone wondering, McClure wasn't in the bottom 10 centers in the league. (They only rank bottom 10 and top 10).

http://www.profootballfocus.com/articles.php?tab=articles&arc=&id=124

If anyone is unfamiliar with profootballfocus, they break down every player/position/etc. and place the information in some mathematical formula I didn't bother to look at.

Anyways, they started looking at lineman and their pass blocking ability:

Yes, Ojinnaka had been terrible when we saw him play. He couldn't block. He would go offsides every play. But I guess he has improved, and maybe we shouldn't cut him (like I have suggested at least a dozen times).

And for anyone wondering, McClure wasn't in the bottom 10 centers in the league. (They only rank bottom 10 and top 10).

http://www.profootballfocus.com/articles.php?tab=articles&arc=&id=124

McClure is rated 11th at Centre in the NFL and 8th with Centres who've played over 1000 snaps. And topic, I'd rather keep Dahl just because he's a better run blocker which is what you'd prefer on the right hand side of the line.

Actually they rate them by individual categories and then some overall rating

The problem with PFF rating is seen below as their "overall" ratings for ATL Guards

1. Dahl 701 snaps rated good in run blocking

2. Reynolds 24 snaps rated good with few snaps

3. Romberg 56 snaps rated good with few snaps

4. Ojinnaka 333 snaps rated good in pass blocking

5. Blalock 1117 snaps rated down on penalties

Edited by delaigle

5. Blalock 1117 snaps rated down on penalties

His run blocking was a bigger cause of him being rated down. He's 74th in the league in that aspect, 44th at pass blocking, 70th at penalties and an overall of being 73rd in the NFL out of 84 Guards.

http://profootballfocus.com/cstats.php?tab=by_team&season=2009&teamid=2&stype=a&stats=o

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=G&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

Edited by Rai

His run blocking was a bigger cause of him being rated down. He's 74th in the league in that aspect, 44th at pass blocking, 70th at penalties and an overall of being 73rd in the NFL out of 84 Guards.

http://profootballfocus.com/cstats.php?tab=by_team&season=2009&teamid=2&stype=a&stats=o

http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=G&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=25&numgames=1

I was just trying to point out that you have to understand PPF ratings and not put absolute trust in them if you do the Ojinnaka would be a starting tackle for ATL by their "overall" rating

1. Ojinnaka 3 snaps

2. Clabo 1117 snaps

3. Svitek 266 snaps

4. Baker 855 snaps

so the starting lineup should be

ojinnaks Reynolds McClure Dahl Clabo using their "overall" ratings

I just do not believe that there is as much difference in the right side and left side as PFF ratings would indicate.

Edited by delaigle

Ojinnakka gonna take blalocks spot

For the current ATL roster

No he's the #4 Guard BUT he is the #1 Tackle on the Falcon's roster according to PFF so it goes

Ojinnaka Reynolds McClure Dahl Clabo

Reynolds is rated the #2 Guard

Ojinnaka rate #1 Tackle and only took 3 snaps at tackle

Somebody at PFF does not like our left side at all

I'm just trying to point out that it is a person or persons doing these ratings as they give/take away points as they like.

This is subjective it is not objective.

Example a player has 7 penalties and 0 offsets one rater give him a -7

another player has 7 penalties and 1 offset a different rater give him a -7

a third player has 7 penalties and 1 offset a third rater give him a -6.5

Those difference show up everywhere not just in penalties it's just easier to illustrate .

And a point or two can move a player 5 or 6 slots when rating 80-90 players

Edited by delaigle

No he's the #4 Guard BUT he is the #1 Tackle on the Falcon's roster according to PFF so it goes

Ojinnaka's best games as a pass blocker was at RG. Infact, he only played 3 snaps at tackle, how can you say he'd be our best tackle :| Also, in '08 and '07 when Ojinnaka did play LT, he played horribly according to PFF.

Ojinnaka's best games as a pass blocker was at RG. Infact, he only played 3 snaps at tackle, how can you say he'd be our best tackle :| Also, in '08 and '07 when Ojinnaka did play LT, he played horribly according to PFF.

look at my post I knew he only had 3 snaps I was not knocking Ojinnaka what I was doing is knocking the PFF rating system.

I did not say he was the best tackle PFF RATED HIM ATL #! TACKLE

Choose position choose Tackle then go to the right choose ALL and ATL

Edited by delaigle

The rating system at PFF is flawed. It's a good for looking at all types of stats, but there are too many variables unaccounted for- is someone playing injured? is someone getting schematic help or are they on an island? What competition did the back up face? I would expect an LT to face the best opp. pass rushers every week. If they give up more sacks than the RT it doesn't mean they should be ranked lower overall. Also, the OL rely on each other to work as a unit, and an individual's ability to do that is hard to measure with stats.

On top of everything else, with the small sample size of a backup, the statistical conclusions are unreliable.

I wouldn't mind seeing a small retooling of our offensive line that centers around moving Blalock to RG and bringing in a top notch LG. I'd also like to move Sam Baker to the other side, but I'm not sure he has the size to be a formidable RT and he deserves more time at LT for evaluations still.

McClure is rated 11th at Centre in the NFL and 8th with Centres who've played over 1000 snaps. And topic, I'd rather keep Dahl just because he's a better run blocker which is what you'd prefer on the right hand side of the line.

McClure has always been underrated by many in our fanabse, but through all the coaching sstaffs and OL that play next to him he's drawn nothing but praise for over a decade of service here.

Many who used to blame him for everything have come around to admit he is a lot better than they thought, but there are still some holdouts from the old days that refuse to admit the obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

McClure has always been underrated by many in our fanabse, but through all the coaching sstaffs and OL that play next to him he's drawn nothing but praise for over a decade of service here.

Many who used to blame him for everything have come around to admit he is a lot better than they thought, but there are still some holdouts from the old days that refuse to admit the obvious.

And there is one that obviously isn't mature enough to let it go or at least accurately portray what "some" have said... :rolleyes:

If Dahly is so freaking good then why do we run to the left so much ?

I wouldn't mind seeing a small retooling of our offensive line that centers around moving Blalock to RG and bringing in a top notch LG.

This is IMO the best Idea for improving the O Line that I have seen in a while.

Reynolds could possibly be the guy for this and we could draft a LT that could depth

at RT.

Blalock can't move to Right Guard. If he can't get any push in the running game at LG, why would you move him over to the side that's the better run-blocking side? Blalock currently isn't quick enough to play LT or strong enough to play LG. There are some 5th round prospects that could beat him out of LG. Zane Beadles and Chris Scott come to mind. John Jerry too in the 3rd.

I think Clabo is the best OG on our team. If we drafted a RT and moved him to G it would make a big difference for our interior pass protection. It would also make Dahl or Blalock expendable while their trade value is relatively high (with no cap and so few UFA this year). TD may already be talking to OG needy teams, and with Clabo about an extension, but nothing could play out until after both us and our potential trade partners see where we stand after the draft.

Blalock is actually very strong, but he has never lived up to his potential and seems to make the most mental errors of anyone along our OL.

If Dahly is so freaking good then why do we run to the left so much ?

Blalock can't move to Right Guard. If he can't get any push in the running game at LG, why would you move him over to the side that's the better run-blocking side? Blalock currently isn't quick enough to play LT or strong enough to play LG. There are some 5th round prospects that could beat him out of LG. Zane Beadles and Chris Scott come to mind. John Jerry too in the 3rd.

Note to Self.

Karst41 you pig ignernt barnyard animal.

Blalock sux at LG and is useless because he is not strong.

Clearly explaining why we run to the left side of the ball better than 85% of the time.

:wacko:

I never trust those sorts of ratings for individual OL because if the backup's numbers were better, it could either mean that he actually did a better job or that the scheme adjusted to give him more help.

Thisis absolutely right. The ratings can not take into consideration the level of competition faced. Who did Oji have to block?

John Jerry for second pick at 83, 6'6" 340, he is our future LG & after a few games might even start in front of Blalock this year... if we get him.

Dahl & OJ are a great platoon at RG, Clabo & Reynolds are a great platoon at RT, Baker & Svitek are a great platoon at LT, & McClure & Tennant/O'Dowd/Walton/McNeil will be a great platoon at C.

Our OL will be superb this year with proper drafting at our 3 & 3c picks.