Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Robb4242

*****2010 IMD discussion thread*****

490 posts in this topic

I mean all of them have some issues I am just looking for a project QB, this year is really no worse than others. You have your top few QB's then you have the rest. Their Pro days will move some up and some down. I have a few in mind, but there are definitely some small school QB's that with a few years of better weight training and coaching could do something. McCoy will also most likely be there at the beginning of the second.

Orton is a decent starter.

But he'll never lead a dynamic passing attack. He just doesn't have the arm.

This class is not the best. Bradford is injury prone and has a few of the same problems as tebow. Clausen has personality issues, injury issues, an is possibly maxed out as far as potential. McCoy is Kyle Orton, Tebow has footwork problems, and the rest all have major problems as well. Theres no Stafford, or Ryan in this draft although someone is gonna make Bradford paid like one.

But he'll never lead a dynamic passing attack. He just doesn't have the arm.

agreed but he is a decent starter. I'm not saying he is a franchise QB. That's the thing with accurate QB's it's hard to determine if they will be like Chad Pennington or Kyle Orton.

This class is not the best. Bradford is injury prone and has a few of the same problems as tebow. Clausen has personality issues, injury issues, an is possibly maxed out as far as potential. McCoy is Kyle Orton, Tebow has footwork problems, and the rest all have major problems as well. Theres no Stafford, or Ryan in this draft although someone is gonna make Bradford paid like one.

I think Bradford will be fine in a west coast offense.

I think Bradford will be fine in a west coast offense.

My 2 cents. Keep Bradford upright (read >> less injury prone becuz he isn't getting beat up), give him weapons, provide a ground game as complement... he has the makings of a Joe Montano type.

Keep the change. ;)

Steeler's pick analysis:

I picked Trent Williams. I'd hoped an elite defensive player would fall to me (Rolando McClaine, Joe Haden, Earl Thomas, Dan Williams) since none of them fell I went to my backup plan.

Bulaga would have been the perfect tackle to take. He could challenge for the LT position and at worse be a great RT. With him off the board I took Williams. He would be an instant starter at RT, and while he doesn't have as much potential at LT as Bulaga, he could play LT if I was in a pinch. Also, he improves 2 positions. It allows Willie Colon to play his more natural G position.

I also considered drafting Pouncey and Iuputi, but neither would improve two positions as Williams allows me to do.

Not to be a spoil sport, but Carlos Dunlap would never actually be a Falcon. Just wondering what you're thinking Rob.

Not to be a spoil sport, but Carlos Dunlap would never actually be a Falcon. Just wondering what you're thinking Rob.

1. I follow the belief that a great pass rush is the best way to improve pass defense, rather than continuously drafting CBs.

2. Outside of Haden, I really don't believe any of the other CBs are worthy of a first round pick.

3. When I compared the available DEs, I preferred Dunlap to Graham. I feel Graham could be fairly productive as a pass rusher in a 4-3, but being undersized, I don't think he answers our need for a LE. I also feel Dunlap has a much higher ceiling in the NFL.

Why do you believe he would never be a Falcon? If it's the character issues, I think he did a good job of handling that at the combine.

Per TFY Draft Insider:

"Despite being known as having motivational issues, scouts here in Indy have told TFY Draft last night that they have been very impressed with the interviews of Florida product Carlos Dunlap. The big defensive end has been forthcoming, answering all the questions thrown at him."

Yes, character issues.

Plus, he's a notorious underachiever. Never really lived up the hype. Runs hot and cold. Reminds me way too much of JA98.

Yes, character issues.

Plus, he's a notorious underachiever. Never really lived up the hype. Runs hot and cold. Reminds me way too much of JA98.

Well, the "character issues" that are brought up really pertain to only one incident, the infamous DUI. How many guys in the league have had a DUI at one time in their lives? I'm not justifying what he did, but he seems to be contrite about the incident.

On the issue of production, I think it has become a misconception about Dunlap. Over the last 2 seasons, he's amassed 24 TFL and 18.5 sacks.

In terms of work ethic, I'll admit that is a concern. On the other hand, we've heard this description for so many athletically gifted Defensive linemen (Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, etc.). I think if you believe in a players talent and abilities, you have to trust that your coaches will be able to get the best out of him and every other player.

JRob, I agree with you 100%.

I am from Dunlap's hometown, Charleston. My dad works with his dad. I do know he comes from a good family and a pretty respectable football program. Unfortunately, Urban Meyer and his staff don't call for the same disciplinary standards as a lot of college coaches. I feel like that, along with his DUI may have caused this character flaw. On the field he is a great player. Florida constantly rotates their DE's so his stats are in less snaps then you may think. I would love to have him as a Falcon. I know Smith could keep him under control and get a lot out of him like he does the majority of our players.

Still, I doubt we draft him in the first as Dimitroff seems to like seniors.

donb -- check your inbox

As far as the Falcons pick goes, I don't know if you can pass on Dunlap if he is there. I like Weatherspoon a lot and I really think he brings an attitude to our defense if we take him. He should improve the play of Lofton by letting that "I want to smack someone" attitude settle into him, he should push his friend William Moore to be great, and he will make our pass defense much better.

Dunlap is an amazing talent, but he is very hot-cold and when the play is run away he doesn't give any effort at all. If we can get him to go 100% all the time, then it's a great pick. If we can't get him to do that, it will be a waste of a pick. An Austen Lane going 100% all the time is better than a Carlos Dunlap go 100% 30% of the time.

WTF was the cowboy's guy thinking? Picking Bruce Campbell makes NO sense.

I disagree with you. I said right after the combine that I wouldn't be surprised to see the Raiders take an OT at #8....only if it is Bruce Campbell. There is the haha part in that because there is an implied Al Davis joke, but I'm being serious.

Campbell showed that he is a physical FREAK, he's fast, strong, and tremendously built. The Cowboys need a LT to protect Romo for the long haul, and Campbell won't be there at #27 come draft day. The Cowboys actually do really like him, they were interested in him at the Combine, and a lot of people are comparing him to a Jason Peters type. He's a little raw, but he has way more experience coming out of college than Peters, and he's more athletically gifted than Peters. Campbell could end up being the #2 OT taken in this draft, so this is not a bad deal.

If I didn't sign Donald Penn, I would have taken him in a heartbeat. Needs some coaching, but could become a fantastic NFL caliber OT on either side of the line.

WTF was the cowboy's guy thinking? Picking Bruce Campbell makes NO sense.

Makes alot of sense. Flozell Adams is getting worse and worse. And every person on the Cowboys line is 32 or older.

EDIT:

I agree with TDB, Campbell is probably going #8 to Oakland in the real draft. The Triangle numbers are just too much for Undead Al.

Anyone one who watched the NFC Divisional Game knows exactly "WTF" I was thinking. Adamsis getting older and Romo needs so protection. I had no other "pressing" needs. I traded up for Williams but someone(Jaymaad) did not approve the trade in time before the Steelers snatched him up. I did not want to draft a G this high.

Anyone one who watched the NFC Divisional Game knows exactly "WTF" I was thinking. Adamsis getting older and Romo needs so protection. I had no other "pressing" needs. I traded up for Williams but someone(Jaymaad) did not approve the trade in time before the Steelers snatched him up. I did not want to draft a G this high.

you guys not familiar with Doug Free he played great after Mark Colombo got hurt and is even better at LT than RT.

Meh, Campbell is probably a better pick for you anyway. He's got elite LT potential. Could replace Adams this year.

I just took the safer route because I already have Max Starks, who isn't a slouch. Williams could probably play LT, but he can make an immediate impact at RT.