What did Taylor Mays really run ?

atljbo

i think he had to have ran a 4.3

There is something fishy that his 'official' time was so bad.

McCourty's time got adjusted like a full second as well.

that vid says alot, i was baffled when I saw it on NFLN this evening. If his is a second wrong in the bad side, maybe Haden ran a 4.5, which is much better. I am sure that would make every athlete second guess things.

I have been very confused as to how it takes so long to get such poor "official times".

Rich Eisen mentioned they dont release official times until everyone in the group runs. dont know if that is the case, but remember him mentioning it when someone was asking about an official time.

He ran a high 4.2 or a low 4.3. This just illustrates the reality that timing is a flawed system and always has been. There is no actual, conceivable way for a human to time in hundredths of a second, and machines inevitably lead to human error. If nothing else, this should be a cautionary tale yet again that "measurables" really don't mean jack squat within a certain range.

He ran a high 4.2 or a low 4.3. This just illustrates the reality that timing is a flawed system and always has been. There is no actual, conceivable way for a human to time in hundredths of a second, and machines inevitably lead to human error. If nothing else, this should be a cautionary tale yet again that "measurables" really don't mean jack squat within a certain range.

4.2? Really? What would that make Ford's?

It's bad enough that at their Pro Days these guys shave off around .2 and of course Carroll clocked Mays at 4.2 something. Now the NFL can't even get it right. They were suppose to be the standard for comparison.

Carroll said 4.19

As a side note that I have heard about, we should note players who skip the 40's. They claim they have a hamstring injury and bulk up for the bench press, then they drop weight for a month to run a better time.

How can the NFL not measure through video? Like a good shot of their foot taking off to the point they cross the line?

Joe Haden will try to use this as an excuse but hand times (including scouts) had him at 4.58 -4.60

J. Haden doesnt need an excuse. He is the best CB period. Game tape shows his speed in pads.

40 times especially get over blown when a guy doesnt run a fast time when everyone thinks he is supposed to.

There is no goal for a 40yd dash. In real game situation, Haden has explosive recovery speed, even if someone gets a step on him, he guns them down and makes a play on the ball.

This guy didnt go from running a 4.3 at FLA to being a 4.6 guy.

Call it what you want, T. Mays was a full body length ahead of Trindon and Trindon was 4.34. Official times are obviously flawed, this simply is the first time it has been blatantly obvious.

J. Haden doesnt need an excuse. He is the best CB period. Game tape shows his speed in pads.

40 times especially get over blown when a guy doesnt run a fast time when everyone thinks he is supposed to.

There is no goal for a 40yd dash. In real game situation, Haden has explosive recovery speed, even if someone gets a step on him, he guns them down and makes a play on the ball.

This guy didnt go from running a 4.3 at FLA to being a 4.6 guy.

Call it what you want, T. Mays was a full body length ahead of Trindon and Trindon was 4.34. Official times are obviously flawed, this simply is the first time it has been blatantly obvious.

Calm down... I like Joe Haden and hope he slip to us..Dude is the best CB in the draft...****.. We needed him to run that 4.6 to possibly get him.

I was just saying that i know Joe Haden's camp (agent mainly) will try to use the time thing (dealing with Taylor Mays) as an excuse

I know Haden will run a good 4.4 at his proday

yes, I too am perplexed at all this around Taylor Mays' time. I think this just exposes how subjective these times are - we all like to think the 40times are scientific but they are only as good as the human hand on the stopwatch or the accuracy of the offical time is.

Its dayum near impossible to have an extremely accurate time.

From Scott Wright at draftcountdown as follows:

Tuesday (3/2) @ 2:00pm CST

Controversy in Indy!

• There was some electricity in the air after USC S Taylor Mays reportedly ran a 4.24 forty this morning, followed by a 4.34 on his second attempt. Needless to say a 6-3, 230 pound prospect running that sort of time sent shockwaves across NFL Draft message boards, Twitter and all along Al Davis' spine. But as Lee Corso likes to say: “Not so fast my friend”. When the “official” times came in they only had Mays listed at 4.43. So what gives? In my opinion, that “official” time is wrong. I personally timed Mays on both attempts then went back and timed the first one again for good measure. On my stopwatch I had Mays sub-4.3 all three times. Also, the NFL Network synced up Mays’ run with those of Jacoby Ford and Trindon Holliday, who “officially” ran times of 4.28 and 4.34 respectively. Mays finished right between them. In my opinion Mays was legitimately in the high-4.2’s or low-4.3’s. So what does this do for his stock? It certainly doesn’t hurt! On one hand Mays was expected to work out extremely well so this isn’t a total shocker but to see it with your own eyes is kind of a different ballgame. I have never hopped off of the Taylor Mays bandwagon or drank the “Hatorade” like others and I still feel he is a Top 20 pick. After showcasing that freakish blend of size, speed and athleticism in front of so many NFL decision makers in Indy I would be shocked if Mays dropped out of the first round like some have speculated. One way or another Taylor Mays ranks right up there with the 2010 Scouting Combine’s most impressive performers.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/ScoutingCombine/Buzz.php

All is I know was that Jacoby Ford after he went through that 40 yard beam is starting to change gear again and if it had been a longer sprint say 60 yard Ford is long gone.

But to be fair to Mays his time is bogus as shown on that film 4.3 flat sounds about right and thats impressive for a big guy.

Edited by kiwifalcon

Why do people care so much about a d@mn 40 time? Mays is a bad player either way. Very good chance he is a bust in the NFL, Even if he is converted to LB (Something he has NEVER played before)

Because speed is something you can't teach. When you see a guy like Mays there is always the thought that you can coach them up.