TATF: 5 Things I Learned Reading the Message Boards

cooperbh

1) There are a surprisingly large number of GMs throughout the league who, in an effort to realize their dreams of obtaining Jamaal Anderson and/or Chris Houston, would gladly part ways with much more productive or promising players - some even giving up a second round draft pick, I'm told. Admittedly, the second rounder would probably require us to also throw in a seventh. Or Michael Jenkins.

2) Speaking of wideouts, I knew that Roddy White was a #1 WR. What I didn't know is that Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall and Miles Austin are not actually #1 WRs, but #2s. Now that I've been set straight, I look forward to totally dominating my fantasy draft this upcoming season.

3) Jerious Norwood is an injury prone RB who averaged a measly 3.3 YPC in '09. Clearly, what the Falcons need to do here is bring in an older, more expensive injury-prone RB from San Diego who (wait for it) averaged a measly 3.3 YPC in '09.

4) Michael Turner's contract ($5.8 million a year/$15 million guaranteed,) Tony Gonzales' contract ($4.6 million a year, $14 guaranteed) and Julius Peppers' estimated contract ($12-$14 million a year/$30-$40 million guaranteed) represent virtually identical value. There's no logical financial reason not to sign Peppers. Besides, it's not our money anyway.

And last, but not least...

5) There apparently is some sort of cryptic link between defense and championships, though the concept is far too pedantic for a gridiron dilettante such as myself to fully grasp. Maybe if the mantra were repeated another fifty-thousand times...

So, what has everyone else learned reading these boards?

that falcon fans are NUTZ! :P

It's really hard to argue that at this time of year.

Although, this place is significantly more grounded in reality during the season, I think. Especially concerning our chances of beating the Bucs on a given week (roughly 100%.)

Nice list. I'd consider adding a lesson that somewhat incorporates some of what you have posted, but in a more broad-brush manner:

6. For every player released/not signed by another NFL team, there must be a dozen or more threads in TATF that say something like "Player XYZ....Bring Him Home TD" or "What Does Everyone Think About Signing Player XYZ?".

These players, of course, should be immediately signed by the Falcons because it's intuitively obvious they would be an immediate improvement over players currently on the roster, regardless of their age, health, ability, salary, intelligence, work ethic, character or leadership skills.

T.O., Peppers, Cromartie, Rolle, Sproles, L.T., Westbrook, Harrison anyone????

Nice list. I'd consider adding a lesson that somewhat incorporates some of what you have posted, but in a more broad-brush manner:

6. For every player released/not signed by another NFL team, there must be a dozen or more threads in TATF that say something like "Player XYZ....Bring Him Home TD" or "What Does Everyone Think About Signing Player XYZ?".

These players, of course, should be immediately signed by the Falcons because it's intuitively obvious they would be an immediate improvement over players currently on the roster, regardless of their age, health, ability, salary, intelligence, work ethic, character or leadership skills.

T.O., Peppers, Cromartie, Rolle, Sproles, L.T., Westbrook, Harrison anyone????

Honestly, I could have easily reeled off about 20 items in my original post, but I wanted to give others a chance to post their observations, as you did quite nicely above.

I like #4.

Let me add another one.

Mike Smith is ridiculously stupid and has managed to find the least qualified Coordinators in the league. If any other coach in the league were given the opportunity to take over, our problems would be solved.

Just as long as they switched to the Spread and the 3-4, of course.

Here are my 5 things.

1. For every FA or other player who get cut, there will be at least

three "Bring Him Home TD" threads.

2. Dont try to argue with Gritzblitzer, you just cant win !

3. ViQueens are just that.

4. The NFL Network constantly reads this Forum and many of the Draft

Experts routinely patrol our Draft and FA Forum.

5. Bucman is really a Die Hard Falcons fan. He just likes the attention.

(Im not saying that being an attention Ho is a bad thing, Im just saying is all)

It is entirely possible to sign ALL of these players and Keep everyone now on the roster and still have only 53 players

Yes

TD just called me and I am Fed Xing him a Multi Demential Hyperionization portal with an

optional zero ripple stabalizers, Cross Pulse Fired of course.

Only the best for our boys will do.

Cheers

One of the only ways you can improve the defensive units performance is to add talent in the draft. Waiting for the talent you drafted over the course of the last two years like Peria Jerry, Will Moore, Chris Owens, Vance Walker, Thomas DeCoud, Curtis Lofton, Kroy Biermann, Chevis Jackson to improve on either their 1st or 2nd seasons is a waste of time. Other 1st year starters like Stephen Nicholas and Brent Grimes who didn't make 1st team All-Pro need to be replaced with younger more unproven talent in the mid-rounds.

1) There are a surprisingly large number of GMs throughout the league who, in an effort to realize their dreams of obtaining Jamaal Anderson and/or Chris Houston, would gladly part ways with much more productive or promising players - some even giving up a second round draft pick, I'm told. Admittedly, the second rounder would probably require us to also throw in a seventh. Or Michael Jenkins.

2) Speaking of wideouts, I knew that Roddy White was a #1 WR. What I didn't know is that Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall and Miles Austin are not actually #1 WRs, but #2s. Now that I've been set straight, I look forward to totally dominating my fantasy draft this upcoming season.

3) Jerious Norwood is an injury prone RB who averaged a measly 3.3 YPC in '09. Clearly, what the Falcons need to do here is bring in an older, more expensive injury-prone RB from San Diego who (wait for it) averaged a measly 3.3 YPC in '09.

4) Michael Turner's contract ($5.8 million a year/$15 million guaranteed,) Tony Gonzales' contract ($4.6 million a year, $14 guaranteed) and Julius Peppers' estimated contract ($12-$14 million a year/$30-$40 million guaranteed) represent virtually identical value. There's no logical financial reason not to sign Peppers. Besides, it's not our money anyway.

And last, but not least...

5) There apparently is some sort of cryptic link between defense and championships, though the concept is far too pedantic for a gridiron dilettante such as myself to fully grasp. Maybe if the mantra were repeated another fifty-thousand times...

So, what has everyone else learned reading these boards?

You actually used the words "Pedantic " and "Dilettante " on this message boards and no one thought you were cussin' them ? Are you Farzier Crane sir "

1. That the 3-4 defense and spread offense, regardless of the personnel on the team, are infinitely superior to every other offense every created in football.

2. Blitz every down, even when on offense. If at any time a pass is completed or a yard is gained on the ground, it's because we weren't blitzing hard enough.

3. You can never have too many RBs, and all of them need to be rookies, no matter who is on your team.

4. It doesn't matter how old, expensive, or injury prone a player is; if they ever went to the Pro Bowl at any time in their career they are an instant upgrade.

5. Unless you are a Pro Bowl caliber player, you need to be replaced, and you need to be replaced now. Perferably from that 5th round caliber player we need to draft in the 2nd round.