There is blood in the water

I just heard on Sirius Radio that Joe Haden has run some terrible 40's. Both times are over 4.5! And, apparently, there is not report of any sort of injury.

If this is true, can you imagine how amped the other CB's are going to be? This draft is deep in CB's and, until now, the assumption has been that Haden is the undisputed number one CB. Scouts can pull all the tape and game clips they want, but it will be a tough sell to draft Haden in the top ten.

I have always been a tempered fan with regards to the Combine, but this is the sort of thing that can save a franchise from making a terrible mistake. Scouts are now forced to take a seriously hard look at what Haden has done on the field. They will wonder whether his production is a result of the players he had around him, or whether he is truly a special CB.

If all of this turns out to be true, this day could cost Haden millions of dollars. But, it could also be a stroke of luck for this franchise.

So, if Haden drops to #19, do we draft him? Please don't make this a knee jerk "YES". Think about it and bring us some hard, cold knowledge about this young man's play making abilities.

I have barely seen him play and I have all but ignored him because I figured he was not going to be available.

Now is the time for the real scouts to do their thing.

Haden is the #1 CB because of his tape and game speed, not because of his 40 time. People overreact and are hammering him for running a slow 40, who cares what he runs in shorts if he runs the same in pads? Honestly guys just get over it and don't waste your time. Hopefully it'll knock him out of the top 10, and push Wilson down to 19, that's the stroke of "luck"

Are you talking about Kyle Wilson? From what I have read, he should be there regardless of where Haden goes.

As far as Haden's situation, it will come down to very careful tape study. If he can play the position, his forty time will not matter. The point I am making is that a terrible forty time forces teams to go through his accomplishments with a fine tooth comb. Doubt creeps in. When that happens, Haden loses money by the buckets. It is unfortunate for him, but it is a fact of NLF life. The scouts' and coaches' jobs rest on the decisions they make. This is serious business and everything is taken into account.

For Haden's sake, I hope he runs lights out at his pro day. And, I hope he looks good in drills.

An example of what I am talking about is starting to happen on NFL Network. The CB's go from the 40 to the hip flipping drill. Already, the analysts are smirking at Haden's performance. Personally, he looked fine to me, but they seem to see a slight hesitation. It is amazing how a 40 time can change how people view a prospect.

didnt drop Malcolm Jenkins too far, and Haden is a better CB than he is.

People dont realize that bad start form or a couple degrees of body angle can equal .1-.4

When he was on the field he was as fast or faster than anybody he was covering. I wish this would drop him to 19.

People dont realize that bad start form or a couple degrees of body angle can equal .1-.4

When he was on the field he was as fast or faster than anybody he was covering. I wish this would drop him to 19.

I know nothing about Haden. I have seen some of Florida's games but I don't have much memory for Haden. Here is my question: Is Haden that good, or did he look good because he worked behind an impressive pass rush and a very quick group of LB's?

I know nothing about Haden. I have seen some of Florida's games but I don't have much memory for Haden. Here is my question: Is Haden that good, or did he look good because he worked behind an impressive pass rush and a very quick group of LB's?

Was it an impressive pass rush or was it because Haden is that good?

Haden is the #1 CB because of his tape and game speed, not because of his 40 time. People overreact and are hammering him for running a slow 40, who cares what he runs in shorts if he runs the same in pads? Honestly guys just get over it and don't waste your time. Hopefully it'll knock him out of the top 10, and push Wilson down to 19, that's the stroke of "luck"

Agree, he's got good game speed, however, teams were expecting a much better 40 time from him and it's going to give them pause. They are going to have to go back and dissect his game and try to make sure he's really as good as they initially thought he was and not that he was benefitting from scheme or a good defense around him. It's going to drop Haden some, not sure how much though. I still think he goes top 15, but I doubt top 10 is going to happen now.

i really dont see 1st round talent in any of these guys! I dont know enough about wilson yet! But to me i watched a ton of guys that look like 2nd rounders to me! Nothing at all wrong with that! @nd rounders turn out to be great all the time. But to me i wouldnt take any of them at 19!

yeah but he fell out of top ten to #14 in the draft after being touted as a top-10 pick prior to combine last year

naw i officially dont like haden at all it seems like he too focused on promoting his fathers training studio or whatever you wanna call it and im not saying his pops aint qualified but seeing his form in the forty im not sending my kid there for any training and i aint got no kids

Agree, he's got good game speed, however, teams were expecting a much better 40 time from him and it's going to give them pause. They are going to have to go back and dissect his game and try to make sure he's really as good as they initially thought he was and not that he was benefitting from scheme or a good defense around him. It's going to drop Haden some, not sure how much though. I still think he goes top 15, but I doubt top 10 is going to happen now.

This sounds like wishful thinking. There's no way a bad 40 time will negate any of his skill on the field.

And it should give them pause. Every top corner to come down the pipe in the last 20 years ran under 4.5...by top corner I mean the kind of player who is one of the best at the position (Revis, Bailey, Darrell Green, Deion Sanders, etc). I put less stock in 40 times than most people but this kid will be a liability on teams that have a less than stellar pass rush.

To answer the initial poster's question, yes, he is a product of playing on a super talented defense that consistently applied pressure. He is also still the best corner in this class without a doubt coming out of college. Will he be the best corner when all is said and done? I doubt it. Would I spend the 19th pick overall on him? No, absolutely not. Great corners are few and far between and I feel we could get a MUCH better player at another position with our pick.

yeah but he fell out of top ten to #14 in the draft after being touted as a top-10 pick prior to combine last year

He fell from top 10 consideration before the combine. ALot had him down in the late teens saying he couldnt play CB.

Funny enough these draft pundits had him going to CLE just like Haden. THey dont even need a #1 CB. They have a top 10 CB already (Eric Wright)

Haden hasnt been outrun by any WRs on the field were it matters. I also am willing to bet he runs a 4.4-4.5 at his pro day. He already said he def is running again, and was running low 4.4's before.

Call me on it if I am wrong, but I think Haden is gonna be Revis good (well top 5-7 CBs anyways) in the NFL.

This sounds like wishful thinking. There's no way a bad 40 time will negate any of his skill on the field.

Don't know what kind of wishful thinking it is. It's not like I said he would drop to 19, I said I think he's still a top 15 pick, just not top 10 anymore. Don't think it really affects us all that much.

And it should give them pause. Every top corner to come down the pipe in the last 20 years ran under 4.5...by top corner I mean the kind of player who is one of the best at the position (Revis, Bailey, Darrell Green, Deion Sanders, etc). I put less stock in 40 times than most people but this kid will be a liability on teams that have a less than stellar pass rush.

To answer the initial poster's question, yes, he is a product of playing on a super talented defense that consistently applied pressure. He is also still the best corner in this class without a doubt coming out of college. Will he be the best corner when all is said and done? I doubt it. Would I spend the 19th pick overall on him? No, absolutely not. Great corners are few and far between and I feel we could get a MUCH better player at another position with our pick.

Says the Weatherspoon Fan...lol...lol.

One thing I will say about Haden he really wants to succeed and definitely has a swagger about him.I actually hope teams that want him are like everyone on here and rate Haden by his 40 time ...Go figure and then he falls right into our lap at 19.

Edited by kiwifalcon

Says the Weatherspoon Fan...lol...lol.

When it comes to college I am only a UGA or Alabama fan and you will see that I am very critical of players from those schools for that reason. As for Weatherspoon, I am not a fan but I thought he would be a very solid fit for our young defense and after this last season and the Combine I think I have been proven right. Do me a favor and don't make one of your childish remarks in regards to anything I have to say about the draft. Anyone who has been here for years will tell you I take it very seriously and I generally know what I am talking about more than the Madden Morons that have infested this place.