Sean Payton takes friendly jab at Jerry Jones (this is funny!)

Enlightened32

On Friday night, the Saints' staff at the combine gathered in a private room at St. Elmo Steakhouse, an 108-year-old Indy landmark, for a final celebratory nod to the Super Bowl win over the Colts. This is a group that likes its wine, and likes to have fun.

At the restaurant, word passed that Dallas owner Jerry Jones would have his Dallas group in this exact room Saturday night for a team dinner. Jones had even phoned ahead, according to a waiter, to make sure a magnum of a wine he loved, Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, was ready to be served at dinner.

Sean Payton told the waiter he'd like to have that wine, too. The waiter told him: Sorry, sir. We have only one bottle left, and it's reserved for Mr. Jones.

Payton said he'd like to have the bottle nonetheless. I assume there was much angst on the part of the wait staff at that point. My God! Who do we piss off? One of the most powerful owners in the NFL, or the coach who's the toast of the NFL, the coach who just won the Super Bowl?

Here came the bottle of Caymus Special Selection, and the Saints' party drained it.

But drinking Jones' wine wasn't enough. Payton gave the waiter some instructions, took out his pen ... and, well, the Cowboys party found at the middle of their table the next evening an empty magnum of Caymus Special Selection cabernet sauvignon, with these words hand-written on the fancy label:

WHO DAT!

World Champions XLIV

Sean Payton

That's the kind of thing Jones will get a big laugh out of. And remember.

Jerry has a great sense of humor, but this coming from an ex-employee has to get under his skin a little. Well see what Payton does or says after the Cowboys beat the Saints again.

Sean doesn't let little boys like Jerry bother him. Jerry is dreaming of what could have been if he was only smart enough to see Payton's value...You know, the ex-employee

with the shiny new Lombardi... ;)

Sean doesn't let little boys like Jerry bother him. Jerry is dreaming of what could have been if he was only smart enough to see Payton's value...You know, the ex-employee

with the shiny new Lombardi... ;)

Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson after back to back Super Bowls, hes not worried about Payton. Trust me on that. <_<

Jerry Jones fired Jimmy Johnson after back to back Super Bowls, hes not worried about Payton. Trust me on that. <_<

I Know. Jerry thought he had it all figured out, but found out different. The team that Jimmy put together still won, but as Jerry had to begin replacing talent......not so much.

Today the boys have good talent, but still faltered in the playoffs. I can't say for certain, but a better coach just might have pushed them over the top last year.

Don't forget BS took them on to another SB victory...I think the trio started a slide anyways so I would say no...

Barry Switzer didnt do ****, that team won in spite of him, not because of him. I still believe that if Jimmy was the coach Dallas would have beaten San Fran again and then won the Super Bowl vs the Chargers. Then they would have gone on to the Super Bowl in 95 also. The only reason the Cowboys faultered after 96 was poor drafting. Jimmy was a master in the draft. Jimmy Johnson was the one that came up with the value chart for picks that teams still use today. Dallas would have never gone 12 years without a playoff win with Jimmy at the helm. Wouldnt have happened. <_<

Edited by Enlightened29

Barry Switzer didnt do ****, that team won in spite of him, not because of him. I still believe that if Jimmy was the coach Dallas would have beaten San Fran again and then won the Super Bowl vs the Chargers. Then they would have gone on to the Super Bowl in 95 also. The only reason the Cowboys faultered after 96 was poor drafting. Jimmy was a master in the draft. Jimmy Johnson was the one that came up with the value chart for picks that teams still use today. Dallas would have never gone 12 years without a playoff win with Jimmy at the helm. Wouldnt have happened. <_<

i agree with you en

true dat. I may not like the Cowboys, but I will never say a bad word about Jimmy. If I were a team like the Lions or Browns, I would offer the dude a massive salary and full control

true dat. I may not like the Cowboys, but I will never say a bad word about Jimmy. If I were a team like the Lions or Browns, I would offer the dude a massive salary and full control

I dont know what happened with the Dolphins, but Jimmy was the man in Dallas. If I were an owner Id take him in a heart beat and give him whatever he wanted.

Edited by Enlightened29

I think JJ likes the booth too much to get involved again in any form on or off the field?

possibly. it isn't like he could do much to improve his legacy/reputation as a coach but could do a lot to bring it down in the wrong situation

• 2 weeks later...