DO NOT get caught up in combine numbers

Combine numbers don't tell the story, they merely supplement information that might be missing from what is already known. Chris Houston was a workout warriors and so was Vernon Gholston.....FAIL. I don't care if Sean Weatherspoon benches 225 60 times and runs a 4.1....base him off the tape and make slight adjustments from the combine/pro day. A very good interview can boost a player who is even with another player on a draft board and that's what the combine is for. TD is known for not letting much be known and that's most likely what this is. Spoon seems like the hot player right now around that spot, so let's ride with it.

Here is an 8 minute highlight reel of Weatherspoon....I am not impressed at all. He doesn't seem to play fast and gets washed out of a bunch of plays. I didn't even bother watching the last 3 minutes.

Thoughts?

Here is an 8 minute highlight reel of Weatherspoon....I am not impressed at all.

Try Watching games, Not highlight reels on Youtube. Weatherspoon is good, Yes he has flaws and thats also why he is not projected to go extremely early. But he is a 1st Round prospect with a massive amount of potential.

Try Watching games, Not highlight reels on Youtube. Weatherspoon is good, Yes he has flaws and thats also why he is not projected to go extremely early. But he is a 1st Round prospect with a massive amount of potential.

When one comes on TV, I will. I'll check my DVR this weekend. What were Lofton's "flaws" coming out? I'm guessing 40 time and pass coverage? I know you can't compare MLB to OLB, but just wondering.

You never know what crazy offers you get around pick 20 too. Remember what Carolina gave up 2 years ago for Otah?

"The Panthers have given up too much here. For the 19th overall pick. the Panthers gave up 2nd and 4th rounders this year as well as next year’s 1st rounder.

If somebody offered their late first and their round 2 to move up, I would do it. Jets really love moving up in the draft (Revis, Harris, Sanchez)

Edited by Fire_Mularkey

When one comes on TV, I will. I'll check my DVR this weekend. What were Lofton's "flaws" coming out? I'm guessing 40 time and pass coverage? I know you can't compare MLB to OLB, but just wondering.

He went in the early 2nd due to the fact he has no ability to play on the outside and was strictly a MLB prospect for the NFL. He was also the 2nd MLB off the board...So its not like teams were taking MLBs and passing on him. Only Mayo went before him and their careers have been pretty even to this point.

As for some of his flaws...He was not great at wrapping up, Did not have great height and was a little bit stocky, Did not have the greatest hip movement. Those are some of the things i remember, Im sure their were others. But at the same time he had a ton of positives as well. No prospect is perfect, and the ones with the least flaws go the earliest. Thus Lofton being a late 1st/early 2nd type prospect.

He went in the early 2nd due to the fact he has no ability to play on the outside and was strictly a MLB prospect for the NFL. He was also the 2nd MLB off the board...So its not like teams were taking MLBs and passing on him. Only Mayo went before him and their careers have been pretty even to this point.

As for some of his flaws...He was not great at wrapping up, Did not have great height and was a little bit stocky, Did not have the greatest hip movement. Those are some of the things i remember, Im sure their were others. But at the same time he had a ton of positives as well. No prospect is perfect, and the ones with the least flaws go the earliest. Thus Lofton being a late 1st/early 2nd type prospect.

Good write up. I can see the lack of hip movement, but as he's strictly a MLB it doesn't matter as much. I can't believe he wasn't great at wrapping up, I've only seen him blow a few tackles but again that's probably something that he worked on.

I'm reading some write ups on Spoon now, and this one site actually compared him to Lofton

"Reminds me of: Curtis Lofton, LB Atlanta-Lofton was one of the most productive linebackers in the country his final season at OU. But his lack of ideal size and explosion and straight line speed pushed him to the 2nd round. But he ended up in Atlanta where they can work off his strengths and he's been able to excel. The same could certainly happen to Weatherspoon."

http://draftboardinsider.com/cgi-bin/prospect.cgi?id=980

Edited by Fire_Mularkey