'Ax Men' star's daughter mauled to death by dog

Hatch

It's got nothing to do with the breed of dog. I wouldn't leave a child alone with ANY breed of dog.

Bull dogs get a bad image because they are the breed of choice for many people with inferiority complexes that have arisen from their small peens. They think it makes them tough to have a large muscular dog and even cooler to make it mean.

but left unaffected by idiots, the most ill tempered dogs are dogs like pomeranians, chihuahua's , poodles and the like. But their bite does much less damage, so the attitude doesn't get the press. The most ill tempered dog I have ever known was a chow, who was raised quietly and never abused. It was just a hateful, ill tempered pr###. He bit my dad one day when daddy was feeding him. For no reason. Daddy just walked inside, didn't say a word, got his gun and sent him to meet ol' Yeller.

But yea, rotties and pits get the bad rep because of the ##### that raise them for the most part.

Any dog can turn on you, big or small.

I just do not like the phrase "turn on you"--that bugs me.

99.9% of the time, it's a defense mechanism. Perfect example is a friend of mine's kid would put his face up to his dog's and "kiss the dog". Unfortunately, he did this one too many times and the dog made him pay for it.

Is it the dog's fault that he got agitated? Nope, it wasn't. This is a behavior that shouldn't have been encouraged regardless of how innocent or sweet it looks. BTW, the vicious dog was a Springer Spaniel...

The problem with dog breeds such as Rots and Pits, is the selective breeding that has occured over the last several generations.

Although it is stupid to leave a small child alone with any large dog breed,it is especially dangerous to leave them with a breed such as a Pit or Rot. And this is my reasoning.

Any large dog breed has the ability to kill a person. However, breeds such as Labs,Collies etc... have never been bred for agression and fighting. Many Rots,and especially Pits, have been specifically bred for agression and fighting, and no amount of sweet family life can take that genetic breeding out.

Give me a basset hound and 5 generations of selective breeding,and I can give you a litter of Basset Hounds that would be vicious and ready to fight at the drop of a hat. And unfortunately,that is what has happened with the Pit breed,and to a lesser extent,the Rots.

Anyone who buys a Pit or Rot pup, and does not know the Pups parents as well as Grandparents, is taking a much bigger risk than someone buying a Lab or Collie pup. For all they know, that innocent looking Pit pup may be from 5 generations of Pits that were specifically bred for their aggresiveness and fighting ability. And because that has been genetically bred into the pup, no amout of sweet family home life is going to take that genetic make-up away from him.

The problem with dog breeds such as Rots and Pits, is the selective breeding that has occured over the last several generations.

Although it is stupid to leave a small child alone with any large dog breed,it is especially dangerous to leave them with a breed such as a Pit or Rot. And this is my reasoning.

Any large dog breed has the ability to kill a person. However, breeds such as Labs,Collies etc... have never been bred for agression and fighting. Many Rots,and especially Pits, have been specifically bred for agression and fighting, and no amount of sweet family life can take that genetic breeding out.

Give me a basset hound and 5 generations of selective breeding,and I can give you a litter of Basset Hounds that would be vicious and ready to fight at the drop of a hat. And unfortunately,that is what has happened with the Pit breed,and to a lesser extent,the Rots.

Anyone who buys a Pit or Rot pup, and does not know the Pups parents as well as Grandparents, is taking a much bigger risk than someone buying a Lab or Collie pup. For all they know, that innocent looking Pit pup may be from 5 generations of Pits that were specifically bred for their aggresiveness and fighting ability. And because that has been genetically bred into the pup, no amout of sweet family home life is going to take that genetic make-up away from him.

I love it when people chime in when they don't have any idea what they're talking about. Rotties are not fighting dogs. They would get destroyed by fighting dogs. They are guard dogs\working dogs.

My Rottie came from a long line of Schutzhund dogs. His sire is Redwood Crests Jako and his grandfather is Jenecks Uno.

This is what Rotties do:

I love it when people chime in when they don't have any idea what they're talking about. Rotties are not fighting dogs. They would get destroyed by fighting dogs. They are guard dogs\working dogs.

My Rottie came from a long line of Schutzhund dogs. His sire is Redwood Crests Jako and his grandfather is Jenecks Uno.

This is what Rotties do:

knowing your Rots bloodline back to his grandparents is very smart on your part. And is a practice that anyone who buys a Pit,Rot,Doberman or even sheperd should use.You sound like a responsible owner.

Now,in reply to your bashing of my post..

Many guard breeds, such as Rots,Dobermans and even Sheperds have been bred for agressiveness.

While you are very correct in that they are not very good fighting dogs as compared to Pits and similar breeds,the "FACT" that they are often bred to emphasize large size and aggressive behavior is the point I am trying to make.

One does not find a Lab or collie that was bred to be agressive, but will very often find Rots,Dobermans and Shepards that are.

PS- I have owned several Rots myself, so I know a little about the breed. One large Male I had named "Rommel" would charge up to any stranger nearing my house,only to fall over onto his back at the person's feet in hopes of having his belly rubbed.He was as docile as a teddy bear.

PSS- Pits in their original breed form are one of the best breeds for children. But unfortunatly, many idiot owners have selectivly bred Pits and to a lesser extent breeds such as Rots,Dobermans and Sheperds, to be very agressive.

Edited by KaptainKrazyFan

knowing your Rots bloodline back to his grandparents is very smart on your part. And is a practice that anyone who buys a Pit,Rot,Doberman or even sheperd should use.You sound like a responsible owner.

Now,in reply to your bashing of my post..

Many guard breeds, such as Rots,Dobermans and even Sheperds have been bred for agressiveness.

While you are very correct in that they are not very good fighting dogs as compared to Pits and similar breeds,the "FACT" that they are often bred to emphasize large size and aggressive behavior is the point I am trying to make.

One does not find a Lab or collie that was bred to be agressive, but will very often find Rots,Dobermans and Shepards that are.

PS- I have owned several Rots myself, so I know a little about the breed. One large Male I had named "Rommel" would charge up to any stranger nearing my house,only to fall over onto his back at the person's feet in hopes of having his belly rubbed.He was as docile as a teddy bear.

PSS- Pits in their original breed form are one of the best breeds for children. But unfortunatly, many idiot owners have selectivly bred Pits and to a lesser extent breeds such as Rots,Dobermans and Sheperds, to be very agressive.

I agree with the bolded part. I do not like it when people say Rotties are fighting dogs, because they are not. If you watch the video I posted, you will see that they are very loyal to the handler and obey his every command. They can turn it off in an instant, unlike fighting dogs who will go until someone is dead.

I am a huge fan of dogs that are used in police enforcement or in the armed forces because they are generally very smart dogs. The reason I chose a Rottie for my dog is because my wife and I live in Oregon and we hike in bear country. Also, sometimes I travel for work and I feel much better that my wife is protected by him while I'm away.

It's got nothing to do with the breed of dog. I wouldn't leave a child alone with ANY breed of dog.

Bull dogs get a bad image because they are the breed of choice for many people with inferiority complexes that have arisen from their small peens. They think it makes them tough to have a large muscular dog and even cooler to make it mean.

but left unaffected by idiots, the most ill tempered dogs are dogs like pomeranians, chihuahua's , poodles and the like. But their bite does much less damage, so the attitude doesn't get the press. The most ill tempered dog I have ever known was a chow, who was raised quietly and never abused. It was just a hateful, ill tempered pr###. He bit my dad one day when daddy was feeding him. For no reason. Daddy just walked inside, didn't say a word, got his gun and sent him to meet ol' Yeller.

But yea, rotties and pits get the bad rep because of the ##### that raise them for the most part.

Growing up my good friend had a mean *** chow..

I really hated that dog.

I wish the whole History channel would get mauled to death by a dog. That channel not only shows ******** 'history' shows like "Was Nostrodamus Right?", and "Is Bigfoot Real?"... but now they're down to shows about dudes who cut down trees and skanks who own pawnshops.

Yea, this is a sad day for a once great channel.

When I run for office I'm going to produce legislation to ban Americans from owning any other living being..The need for people to have pets in this country has always bothered me...

The need people have to procreate as much as they want has always bothered me. By the way, care to explain why this bothers you? Throughout the evolution of man, dogs and cats have been there to be companions.