Sony Playstation Network SNAFU

NewFalcon

FYI for anyone who plays online games using the PS3 console:

Tried to play a bit of COD-Modern Warfare 2 online this morning on my PS3 (60gb older model) and could NOT log into the Playstation Network

"An error has occurred. You have been signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)".

I tried various ways to log in and then checked the web to see if it was me, or the network. Luckily, it was the network and not just my setup. I suspect that some programming genius at Sony made a mistake regarding when leap years occur, which caused an out of sync problem when the date changed from February 28 to March 1 and NOT February 29 as expected by the programming (since 2010 is not a leap year.)

Lots of screaming and venting from the user community on this one; however, in perspective it should be noted that Sony does not charge anything to users for online play (unlike XBox Network) and that the PS Network has been pretty dependable. Here's the latest scoop from the folks at Sony's PSN in case anyone out there is interested:

PS3 Network Status

Latest info on PlayStation Network Status

Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:

• The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
  • When the user tries to sign in to the PlayStation Network, the following
    message appears on the screen; "An error has occurred. You have been
    signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)".
  • When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears
    on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; "Failed to install
    trophies. Please exit your game."
  • When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the
    Internet, the following message appears on the screen; "The current date
    and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)"
  • Users are not able to play back certain rental video downloaded from the
    PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above, please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

For the latest status on this situation please continue to check either the PlayStation.Blog or PlayStation.com.

Yeah this cost me my NHL franchise yesterday, the save got corrupted so I can't recover it. The PS3 losing connection made the system freeze up while saving and it lost everything. NOT happy.

I am sorry for your loss..

I will pour out a 40 tonight. :(

Yeah this cost me my NHL franchise yesterday, the save got corrupted so I can't recover it. The PS3 losing connection made the system freeze up while saving and it lost everything. NOT happy.

That would have me steamed. It looks like I lost a bunch of trophies, but they might come back (supposedly) and I don't really care. But a sports franchise is different....

ps3s free network is something i hear about all the time.

people act like xbox charges an outrageous rate for xbox live which is leap years ahead of psn.

its 4 bucks a month. lets get real.

4 bucks is well worth the upgrade in service you get from psn to xblive. no competition.

btw im about to purchase a ps3 so im not an xbox groupie by any means. matter of fact 50 bucks a year is a steal for the service you get from xbox.

the old adage holds true. you get what you pay for.

Edited by zigg zagg

That would have me steamed. It looks like I lost a bunch of trophies, but they might come back (supposedly) and I don't really care. But a sports franchise is different....

Trust me I was ready to throw my remote into my flat screen but my wife saw the look on my face when I realized I just lost like five seasons of my Blackhawk franchise and grabbed the remote before I exploded. I'm still furious over it but what can I do? Its not like Sony can uncorrupt the data.

When it comes to XBox vs. PS3, they each have their fans and detractors.

I've played XBox live and found it to be an excellent on line experience and the price isn't bad at all. I chose to buy a PS3 a couple of years ago because the graphics capabilities of the PS3 were superior at that time, as was the overall history of hardware reliability (bet we all know someone who has had at least one experience with the dreaded 'red rings of death' that bricked their XBox 360.) The PS3 on line play has been very good and (up to this point) reliable with my 12MB DSL service, and it's a free.

The most pathetic part of this story, IMHO, is that Sony is saying "....we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data...."

To which I respond to Sony: Hey....wake up....we didn't know anything about the problem until we tried to use our PS3 systems during the last 24 hours, and received the error codes--perhaps you should have publicized the problem earlier and sent your on line users a network/update message that we would have received on line before we tried to play and risked errors in functionality....

Is Sony the Japanese word for stupid?

Sony Warns Users of 'Bug"

Comparing the amount of problems between PS3 and Xbox, I'm staying with PS3. I've read horror stories of people having to send SEVERAL Xbox's back to fix the death.

I have come to the conclusion that is a result of hours of gaming at a time..

Let the system rest a little and cool down..My friend called me a couple of years ago when his went down after playing a game for like 15 hours straight..He could not figure out what happened-Really? I have had mine for three years without a problem.

Comparing the amount of problems between PS3 and Xbox, I'm staying with PS3. I've read horror stories of people having to send SEVERAL Xbox's back to fix the death.

i know right? the one with better games and online experience is guaranteed to break on you.

thats why i am buying a ps3