Braves May Sign Dominican OF Prospect Mateo

K26dp

Capitol Avenue Club has a source that indicates that the Braves are thre frontrunners to sign Dominican OF prospect Wagner Mateo.

Mateo, if you’ll recall, is represented by Edgar Mercedes (the agent that represents newest Braves SS prospect Edward Salcedo) and signed with the Cardinals on July 2, 2009 for a club record $3.1 million bonus, only to have his contract voided behind vision issues. Mateo is a legitimate five tool prospect with potential for all five to be plus. He runs well, hits for loads of power, and has a MLB 60 arm right now. He’s been compared to the likes of Grady Sizemore and Carlos Beltran. He hits and throws left handed. Mateo would rank in the already stacked system’s top five as a sixteen year old. If this information is accurate, this is an even bigger story than the Braves signing Edward Salcedo. Much bigger.

UPDATE: Mark Bowman of MLB.com has sited a Braves source who says the Braves have "no interest" in Mateo.

Edited by K26dp

I remember when the Cardinals voided his contract (voided might be the wrong word... forgive me)

Mateo's agent said "if he has a vision problem, he has had it all along. So he still hits for power and average, WITH a vision problem".... and I really didn't understand. I am all for giving this guy a flyer, give him 50% of the $3.1 mil and pay to fix his eyes... problem solved. Dude is apparently legit.

I remember when the Cardinals voided his contract (voided might be the wrong word... forgive me)

Mateo's agent said "if he has a vision problem, he has had it all along. So he still hits for power and average, WITH a vision problem".... and I really didn't understand. I am all for giving this guy a flyer, give him 50% of the $3.1 mil and pay to fix his eyes... problem solved. Dude is apparently legit.

yup. give him some lasik and start him out at low A ball and see how he does. if he rakes, start moving him up. could make for good trade bait as well....especially with our abundance of LH bats.