Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri

After watching his combine interview and few other youtube interviews, Weatherspoon is a hard guy not to like. His upbeat personality and love for football shows when he speaks. The guy has L E A D E R written across his forehead.

That said, the main question is: Does he make our football better then another player would at that spot, this year and in future years?

My first reaction is no, he wouldn't be the best pick at 19 if say, Brandon Graham or Derrick Morgan is available. I have given it some thought though in the last few days.

I don't think he would have the biggest impact on the team as say a Derrick Morgan would in his 1st year, but you don't draft a player based on 1st year impact. I think Dimitroff drafts on longevity and whether or not he thinks the player will be a core player for the Falcons in 10 years.

My opinion of Weatherspoon is that he will be a solid to excellent linebacker in the NFL. We all know how much Smith values linebackers in his defense and Weatherspoon will likely take over the leadership role in our defense. I think Lofton wants it, but may not have the personality.

I also have to say that linebacker is a safer position to draft in the 1st round then corner or defensive end our two other needs. I can see Weatherspoon becoming a fan favorite and also being a lifetime Falcon.

Atheltically, Weatherspoon has everything he needs to play at a pro bowl level. He has the ability to play practically all the linebacker positions and it would be interesting to see where he is placed as a rookie. He is a very strong tackler, though maybe not a thumper. Which is ok, most of the time the playmakers aren't big time thumpers.

Basically, the point of this thread, I am saying that Weatherspoon might make the most sense of all the defensive players in the first round. I could see the Falcons also addressing the offensive line in the 1st round, but still feel they will take an impact player on defense.

I also like the talent available in the later rounds at corner and defensive end. In fact, I like the value vs talent for corner and defensive end in the middle rounds better then 1st round talent available.

Just so everyone knows, I am not a Weatherspoon homer. I haven't been on his bandwagon at any point and only just now started including him in my mocks. So, there.

After watching his combine interview and few other youtube interviews, Weatherspoon is a hard guy not to like. His upbeat personality and love for football shows when he speaks. The guy has L E A D E R written across his forehead.

That said, the main question is: Does he make our football better then another player would at that spot, this year and in future years?

My first reaction is no, he wouldn't be the best pick at 19 if say, Brandon Graham or Derrick Morgan is available. I have given it some thought though in the last few days.

I don't think he would have the biggest impact on the team as say a Derrick Morgan would in his 1st year, but you don't draft a player based on 1st year impact. I think Dimitroff drafts on longevity and whether or not he thinks the player will be a core player for the Falcons in 10 years.

My opinion of Weatherspoon is that he will be a solid to excellent linebacker in the NFL. We all know how much Smith values linebackers in his defense and Weatherspoon will likely take over the leadership role in our defense. I think Lofton wants it, but may not have the personality.

I also have to say that linebacker is a safer position to draft in the 1st round then corner or defensive our two other needs. I can see Weatherspoon becoming a fan favorite and also being a lifetime Falcons.

Atheltically, Weatherspoon has everything he needs to play at a pro bowl level. He has the ability to play practically all the linebacker positions and it would be interesting to see where he is placed as a rookie. He is a very strong tackler, though maybe not a thumper. Which is ok, most of the time the playmakers aren't big time thumpers.

Basically, the point of this thread, I am saying that Weatherspoon might make the most sense of all the defensive players in the first round. I could see the Falcons also addressing the offensive line in the 1st round, but still feel they will take an impact player on defense.

I also like the talent available in the later rounds at corner and defensive end. In fact, I like the value vs talent for corner and defensive end in the middle rounds better then 1st round talent available.

Just so everyone knows, I am not a Weatherspoon homer. I haven't been on his bandwagon at any point and only just now started including him in my mocks. So, there.

We have a seat saved for you if you can only pick up Jaymadd on the way!

To your point about leadership and Lofton...While Lofton may not be the type of extrovert Weatherspoon appears to be, I think:

1) You can always use alltypes of leaders on your team

2) You can still lead in a more quiet fashion. Take Harry Carson. Great leader - not a rah rah type.

But I would say that Weatherspoon could provide a vocal presence on this unit which would actually be a welcome acquisition.

While I'm of the camp that we should draft WR in Round 1...if we do go defense, I would prefer Weatherspoon.

I would be happy if we'd draft Weatherspoon. I've been a Graham guy for a while but Weatherspoon just seems like a great choice. We'd have the best, youngest LB corps in the NFL with Nicholas, Lofton, and Weatherspoon. It's really exciting to think about having two layers of our defense that would be locked up for 7+ years (LB, Safety) and allow us to focus on the DL, CBs, and offense.

Weatherspoon homer? Is that how people actually treat this process in here now? What a joke.

I guess wanting Patrick Willis over Jammal Anderson made me a Willis homer then.... :rolleyes: idiots

Jesus Christ dude don't take it personally. It was my way of expressing that I have not been on his bandwagon all off season. Some people get focused on a player and can't detach no matter what happens.

its alot that i like about weatherspoon but I for one believe in our DEs the davis, beerman and sidbury one will rise i think its gonna be Kroy...as far as CBs i like owens and grimes chevis in nickel but peterson is aging and was a stop gap player lofton weatherspon and nichols i'll be happy with that