5 things we learned at the NFL combine

hawkeye

1. FORGET ABOUT PEPPERS: The indicators are pointing toward the Falcons not getting involved in the Julius Peppers derby. The buzz words that keep coming from general manager Thomas Dimitroff are “fiscally responsible” moves. My man Charles Chandler of the Charlotte Observer noted that Peppers turned down a deal that would have paid him between $13 and $14 million last summer. A deal in a higher range doesn’t appear to fit the Falcons definition of “fiscally responsible.”

2. NO DEFENSIVE END IN THE FIRST ROUND: You can rule out a defensive end with the No. 1 pick. The Falcons like their ends and think the pass rush would have been just fine with defensive tackle Peria Jerry in the lineup last season.

“My feeling is this, last year we drafted Peria Jerry in the first round,” Dimitroff said. “Unfortunately for us he was injured. He was really coming along well. He was going to help create some pass rush up the middle. Obviously, he was going to free something up on the outside. We felt John Abraham was going to continue to get up field, as well as Kroy Biermann and some of our other young guys on the outside.”

3. MIDDLE OF LINE: Falcons center Todd McClure, unfortunately, isn’t going to play forever and his backup Brett Romberg is 29 years old. The Falcons are going to draft an interior linemen who can play guard and center at some point in this draft.

4. WIDE RECEIVER HELP: The wide receiver position will get addressed at some point in the draft. Injuries to Harry Douglas and Brian Finneran nearly decimated the depth behind Roddy White last season.

5. BIGGER CBs TO GET ADDED: Bigger cornerbacks are on the way. Just look at the size of the receivers in the NFC South. I wouldn’t be wise to rule out Oklahoma State cornerback Perrish Cox. While he has some off the field he issues, he can play the game. South Florida cornerback Jerome Murphy didn’t impress too many people when he showed up for interviews wearing white gold upper and lower teeth grills.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-blog/2010/03/01/atlanta-falcons-5-things-we-learned-at-the-nfl-combine/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_blog&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

DUMB DUMB DUMB.

Periah Jerry is the reason our pass rush sucked last year? Seriously? Come on guys, get your heads out of your ***** please!

I'm not saying go blow a wad on Peppers but, ****, come on.

Well if the subtraction of one 1st round pass rushing DT is not the answer is it fair to say the addition of one 1st round pass rushing DE will also equal he same result?

Edited by Head Busta From Augusta

Well if the subtraction of one 1st round pass rushing DT is not the answer is it fair to say the addition of one 1st round pass rushing DE will also equal he same result?

Yeah I don't think drafting a pass rusher in round 1 is a good idea either. We need to either sign a veteran or let Sidburry develop at this point, drafting another DE seems like a waste of a pick imho.

First year pass rushers rarely do much in that department their first year in the NFL...in fact, rookie linemen in general don't do much usually. I will say that Jerry was impressive in the game and a half we got to see him play in, so that does bode well.

What we do with out DE position will have the biggest impact on our D this year because if we keep giving so little pressure Darrell Revis would get beat constantly here.

Yeah I don't think drafting a pass rusher in round 1 is a good idea either. We need to either sign a veteran or let Sidburry develop at this point, drafting another DE seems like a waste of a pick imho.

First year pass rushers rarely do much in that department their first year in the NFL...in fact, rookie linemen in general don't do much usually. I will say that Jerry was impressive in the game and a half we got to see him play in, so that does bode well.

What we do with out DE position will have the biggest impact on our D this year because if we keep giving so little pressure Darrell Revis would get beat constantly here.

THANK YOU!!!!

i have absolutely no idea where you get your info the DE is not a serious possiblity in the 1st

I can understand that logic of not taking a DE in the 1st round I mean we are all about developing guys we have a solid rotation Biermann is coming along nicely and you can slide Davis or JA98 in there on running downs and with Jerry back maybe TD and MS feel that Jerry could be the answer inside to free our pass rush up on the outside so I feel this logic is not totally flawed.

at the sametime u gotta be fair and give ppl a fair opprotunity, drafting a DE in the first round would say he jumps ahead of beer-man and sidbury, is that right? plus we run a rotation line anyway

This I think is what TD and MS are thinking with Jerry though if he frees up Abe Biermann and co there is no need to draft or go FA DE if they feel Jerry is the answer.I understand what you and the rest of the board are thinking but again if TD and MS think different well who are we to argue as they no what they are doing all the rest of us its a best guess.