End of the Peppers Pursuit: Redskins Want Him

sporkdevil

the Redskins are expected to pursue defensive end Julius Peppers - who apparently wants to stand up in a 3-4 attack - in free agency.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/albert-haynesworth/haynesworth-is-the-key-in-reds.html

The Redskins apparently plan to again try their failed scheme of investing so much money in so few players that they have the depth equivalent of a pop warner football team.

I had merely assumed that with all the money they have dumped into their defensive line (Jarmon in the supplement draft, traded a 2nd rounder for JT, oh, and the $100 million man) they would finally try and fix their terrible offense.

However, I forgot that to Dan Snyder the NFL is just like Madden, and considering the uncapped year is essentially a cheat code, there will be nothing to stop him from giving Peppers a billion dollars. It makes so much sense: Peppers is a former number 1 pick, he has been to the probowl, and he has major question marks on whether or not he really has the drive to play. Snyder is turning into Al Davis v2.0.

That article is running on pure speculation at this point, the ' Skins are always expected to go after the top FA's every year. And I guess Peppers is no different. The problem I see is owners like Synder are the ones jacking the market up for these guys. And the owners are the ones who backed out the CPA for just this reason? As long as there's owners like Synder there will be no financial responsiblity in player contracts.

I think this is bogus......

Mike Shanahan is running the show now up there in D.C....Shanahan was brought in to turn this offense around - they are not going to burn that kind of money on Peppers after breaking the bank on Albert Haynesworth and MeAngelo.

I think this is bogus......

Mike Shanahan is running the show now up there in D.C....Shanahan was brought in to turn this offense around - they are not going to burn that kind of money on Peppers after breaking the bank on Albert Haynesworth and MeAngelo.

I'm not so sure. The thing is when you bring in an offensive or defensive guru, they tend to bring in guys on the opposite side of the ball at first. I think it is because they know how to accomplish what they need to do with sub-par players.

Look at what has happened:

Smitty comes in, and we draft a QB and a LT in the first.

Spags went to the Rams and they picked a LT.

Schwartz went Detroit and picked a QB and a TE.

I'm trying to think of some other HC moves... might be a bit too early in the morning on a Monday...

Edit: Oh hey, PFT picked it up as well.

The sentiment that defensive end Julius Peppers will be paid more like Dwight Freeney, Jared Allen, and DeMarcus Ware and less like Albert Haynesworth omits the possibility that the same team that gave Haynesworth $40 million guaranteed might decide to take full advantage of the rules of the uncapped year by chasing Peppers, too.

Jason Reid of the Washington Post reports that the Redskins "are expected to pursue" Peppers, which means that he'll likely be signed by daybreak on Friday.

Similar rumors -- though much more rampant -- emerged last year regarding Haynesworth and the Redskins. At one point, our pal Lance Zierlein of KGOW in Houston reported that it would definitely occur. And occur it did; a $100 million deal was negotiated between midnight and 5:30 a.m. on the first morning of free agency.

If/when the Redskins land Peppers and switch to a 3-4 defense, the eight-year veteran would move to outside linebacker for the first time in his career. As Reid points out, the key player in all of this will be the aforementioned Haynesworth, who might be expected to man the line-clogging nose tackle position -- and thus yield the glory to Peppers.

So on the ten-year anniversary of the greatest collection of highly-paid individual players who couldn't function as a team, it's fitting that the man who wrote the checks for the 2000 Redskins could be getting ready to do it all over again.

Edited by sporkdevil

Guest Gritz

if redskins sign peppers theyre pass rush is going to be sick

Maybe so....but they'll still probably only win 6 games......

I'll take the "build the entire team" concept over the 'Skins way every time thank you.

Maybe I am giving them to much credit but Snyder DID bring in a GM and Shanahan to run the show. I know Snyder is signing the checks, but maybe he is going to let the guys he hired to handle football operations. Thus not going insane in free agency.....just a thought...

Kinda like Wade Phillips runs the show, or Cable in Oakland......

Synder is running this show and to think otherwise is foolish. Nobody is going to surplant the ego that an owner like Synder has.

Synder owns the Redskins, runs the Redskins and will do as he pleases with the Redskins because he is KING Dan.

Kinda like Wade Phillips runs the show, or Cable in Oakland......

Synder is running this show and to think otherwise is foolish. Nobody is going to surplant the ego that an owner like Synder has.

Synder owns the Redskins, runs the Redskins and will do as he pleases with the Redskins because he is KING Dan.

With Zorn and Turner that was the case...not with Shanahan and Gibbs. As much as Snyder is a kid in a candy store when you have guys who have proven they can do it and have been successful in leading teams to the SB...he'll back off.

Besides, Shanahan has such a huge ego...he wouldn't take the gig without control.

Maybe so....but they'll still probably only win 6 games......

I'll take the "build the entire team" concept over the 'Skins way every time thank you.

I couldn't agree more. The approach TD and Smitty are taking is the right approach in my opinion. The Falcons are going to have a competitive team for many years to come.

Redskins would have a sick 3-4 Defense [i heard they are switching to it] if they got him.

DE - Phillip Daniels

NT - Albert Haynesworth

DE - Andre Carter

OLB - Brian Orakpo

ILB - Rocky McIntosh

ILB - London Fletcher

OLB - Julius Peppers

CB - Deangelo Hall

CB - Carlos Rodgers (If they re-sign him)

FS - LaRon Landry

SS - ?

Then if they took Eric Berry with the #4 Pick... :blink:

Redskins would have a sick 3-4 Defense [i heard they are switching to it] if they got him.

DE - Phillip Daniels

NT - Albert Haynesworth

DE - Andre Carter

OLB - Brian Orakpo

ILB - Rocky McIntosh

ILB - London Fletcher

OLB - Julius Peppers

CB - Deangelo Hall

CB - Carlos Rodgers (If they re-sign him)

FS - LaRon Landry

SS - ?

Then if they took Eric Berry with the #4 Pick... :blink:

Andre Carter would be way to small to be a 3-4 DE IMO. I would just cut Carter to save the money and run:

Peppers - LDE

Daniels - DT

Haynesworth - DT

Orakpo - RDE

They will take Bradford or Okong in the draft. They desperately need both.