Mock Offseason

On my mocks I am generally not big on projecting trades, but I think this one may make some sense. Also I only going to project we get a 4th and a 6th round for Foxworth and Boley, respectively.

Trade:

It appears that San Diego isn't going to retain Darren Sproles and have already released Tomlinson. My feeling is that it's possible they would be willing to trade up to get C.J. Spiller. I can see 2 teams with considerable interest in Spiller that pick between us and them. Using THR's trade value chart, we send our 19th and 114th overall to the Chargers for the 28th and 60th overall pick in this years draft.

That would give us the 28th, 60th, 83rd, 128th ©, 145th, 179th, & 192nd © picks this year.

Free Agents:

*Leigh Bodden CB 6'1" 193

I like the fact that he has played for the Patriots and was successful in that complicated defense. He will want to get paid,but I think he is the one free agent that can most improve our defense. Great size and will fair well against the bigger wide receivers that we struggle with year in and year out.

*Darren Sproles RB 5'6" 185

Many may shake their heads at this. Darren is a great return man who can catch the ball very well out of the backfield. He is a unique player who cannot be counted on to be an every down back but is a great option on 3rd down.

I think we will add a another veteran here, possibly at wide receiver, maybe Derrick Mason or Donald Driver. I am just throwing that out there.

We must tender Harvey Dahl and Tyson Clabo.

Released/Not Resigned:

*John Abraham DE

I am sure a lot of people aren't going to like this because of how great he has been for us. That said, he is declining and has 2 more big salary years coming up. With no cap it makes sense to get this contract off the books for 2011. I am also not totally against resigning him.

*Jerious Norwood RB

I had some really high expectations for Jerious. I loved him, love his personality too. I just don't see much of a reason to tender him a contract. He cannot stay healthy and when he does, he is very inconsistent.

Other names I don't expect to see whether it's from not resigning them just releasing them...Tye Hill, Brian Williams, and Marty Booker along with some various others.

Draft:

28. Sean Weatherspoon LB Missouri 6'1" 239

-This was a hard pick for me because I still think that defensive end is our biggest need right now. That said, I don't think this draft is deep in defensive ends. I like Graham, but not completely sold he is a 43 defensive end. Listening to Weatherspoon's interview, he clearly seems like a Dimitroff, Smith kind of player. I think he is also a guy who could play all 3 linebacker positions. I see him as a 2 down linebacker in his 1st year because he doesn't have great pass rushing ability yet. This is definitely a guy though that will respond to good coaching and become a very solid starter in this league.

60. Greg Hardy DE Ole Miss 6'4" 281

-There are a lot of questions surrounding Hardy, that's why we are able to get him in the 2nd round. The one thing that isn't in question is he ability the play defensive end. He certainly has that. It is a risk, no doubt, but there is also a very high reward and in my opinion the reward out weighs the risk. Ideal size for the position and good speed. The one positive about his injuries were that it should effect his functional speed. The broken foot heeled easily enough and the wrist won't effect his burst. To be honest, if he gets his priorities straight and stays healthy, he will get more playing time then any other defensive end on our roster.

83rd. Selvish Capers OT West Virginia 6'4" 308

-Selvish is a little bit of a project. He certainly has the athletic ability to play left tackle but it may take him a couple more years of leaning. He is a converted tight end and hasn't been playing on the offensive line that long. I think he can play right tackle as a rookie if needed but will need some time to compete for the left tackle spot.

128. Jimmy Graham TE Miami 6'6" 260

-It would be a perfect situation for Graham to come into. My guess is that he would relish the chance to get a year under Tony Gonzalez and I am willing to bet that Tony G. would be a willing mentor considering it's likely his final year in the NFL. Jimmy's inexperience will push him down the draft boards but his athletic ability should keep him around the 4th round.

145. JD Walton C Baylor 6'3" 300

-Todd McClure's time is nearing an end and I personally would like to see the Falcons get bigger here and more athletic. JD is both. He was a "pulling" center at Baylor. They moved him around probably more then any other center in college football. He has good size to play the position. He was on NFL Radio last week and is clearly a lunch pail guy.

179. Emmanuel Sanders WR SMU 5'11" 186

-Slight frame. Had a very good combine which probably improved his draft stock from 7th/UDFA to 5th to 6th round. Considering his speed and quickness has a chance to contribute in the return game. Should easily make the team. I for one am not sold on Eric Weems as a return man or 4th wide receiver.

192. Leigh Tiffin K Alabama 6'1" 209

-There is actually a chance he isn't available in the 6th round, but if he is it's worth the pick. We have a lot of uncertainties at the kicker position.

Depth Chart:

Offense

QB: Matt Ryan-Chris Redman-John Parker Wilson

-It's possible that we acquire a veteran if Redman doesn't get resigned. However I am confident he will be coming back.

RB: Michael Turner-Darren Sproles-Jason Snelling

-I mean, I think this is a great running back group. I think it's way more dynamic with Norwood gone and Sproles in. Snelling versatility is a real plus here.

FB: Ovie Mughelli

-I still think he is one of the best and I wouldn't mind seeing him get a few more carries.

WR: Roddy White-Harry Douglass

WR: Michael Jenkins-Brian Finneran-Emmanuel Sanders

-I know we didn't add the wide receiver some of you guys would have like to see, but if Douglass is healthy we won't need to in my opinion.

TE: Tony Gonzalez-Jimmy Graham-Justin Peele

-The pressure would be on Graham to learn this year in preparation for next year. Could still use him in the redzone this year to see if we can get some mismatches.

OT: Sam Baker-Selvish Capers

OG: Justin Blalock-Garrett Reynolds

OC: Todd McClure-JD Walton

OG: Harvey Dahl

OT: Tyson Clabo-Garrett Reynolds

-Tendering and keeping the right side together is important in my opinion. Capers could be the replacement for Baker in 2011. I don't see us investing much more in Baker if cannot stay healthy.

Defense

DE: Greg Hardy-Chauncey Davis-Lawrence Sidbury

DE: Jamaal Anderson-Kroy Biermann

-This will be a committee job in 2010. We should have a decent mix of guys who can play the run and rush the passer. I am hoping Sidbury has grown as a pass rusher and putting a lot of faith in Greg Hardy. I think Hardy will actually respond better if he thinks he can be a rookie starter. If he slips in the draft it will challenge him in a positive way

DT: Jonathan Babineaux-Vance Walker

DT: Peria Jerry-Thomas Johnson

-I think it's a good group if Jerry stays healthy. He will help the pass rush more then a 1st round defensive end would.

LB: Mike Peterson-Stephen Nicholas

LB: Curtis Lofton-Mike Peterson

LB: Sean Weatherspoon

-I think this will be the strength of our defense. Peterson's ability to move around will keep him on the team. We have a nice core group here.

CB: Leigh Bodden-Chris Owens

CB: Chris Houston-Brent Grimes

NB: Brent Grimes

SS: William Moore-Erik Coleman

FS: Thomas DeCoud

-I am hopeful that Moore will be healthy and Bodden is a tremendous upgrade to the group as a whole.

JWS I do like the fact that your trade down scenario could definitely be possible and you have found a good team and a decent scenario that actually makes sense.The only change I'd make is along this scenario is keep ABE as with the DE rotation that we would have would be worse than last year in my view and instead of taking Hardy I would add a CB in the 3rd.

I could live without Norwood and the swap with Sproles no complaints there even though I think Norwood will be better this year.

Ideally in that scenario I would'nt have gone for Bodden instead target a FA WR someone like a Vincent Jackson.

This must be a joke...

If not, it would be one of the worst pass rushes in NFL history. You cut someone who is a proven pass rusher and add a rookie who has been injury riddled his entire career thus far. Brilliant!

Wow! Don't take in personally. Sensative?

It's not beyond the realm of possibilities. We took an injury "riddled" DT last year in the 1st round. And, you probably don't know this, but you can improve the pass rush in more ways then one. DE's in the NFL aren't the only people on the field allowed to sack the quarterback.

That said, I feel Greg Hardy could get 2 sacks in his rookie season. John Abraham is one of my all time favorite players, but I don't get emotionally attached to guys. It would be a business decision. You don't hang on to 30+ year old DE's, proven or not, coming off 2 sack years with huge contract #s.

Wow! Don't take in personally. Sensative?

It's not beyond the realm of possibilities. We took an injury "riddled" DT last year in the 1st round. And, you probably don't know this, but you can improve the pass rush in more ways then one. DE's in the NFL aren't the only people on the field allowed to sack the quarterback.

That said, I feel Greg Hardy could get 2 sacks in his rookie season. John Abraham is one of my all time favorite players, but I don't get emotionally attached to guys. It would be a business decision. You don't hang on to 30+ year old DE's, proven or not, coming off 2 sack years with huge contract #s.

Im not sensitive at all, its just a real bad idea...

Where are you getting your facts from? John Abraham had 6.5 sacks, not 2 last season and also had a **** ton of QB pressures and hits. With better CB/OLB play, Abe would of had over 10 and he wouldnt even be getting talked about lol I like the draft, but cutting Abe would be absolutely foolish...

Edited by d#d#d#

He's right cutting Abe would be devesatating to our already anemic pass rush. Your idea of replacing Abe one of the top five pass rushers in the league with Hardy is a truly horrible idea. I like the idea of trading down but I don't think Weatherspoon drops that far in the first in fact he might not be there when we pick although I hope he is.