Atlanta teams best free agent signing

jes2400

Sometimes when there's not a lot going on, a friend of mine and I like to talk and debate about our Atlanta teams. Since free agency is days away, we were debating who is Atlanta's best free agent signing or trade so far. Among some choices were Morten Anderson for the Falcons, Fred MaGriff for the Braves, and Jamal Crawford for the Hawks. I say Morten Anderson. I admit I'm a little biased 'cause even though I love all our Atlanta teams, the Falcons are my no.1, but Anderson was clutch for us, and not just in the NFC title game, he had some game winners during the season that helped get us to that point. I know we won a world series while FM was with the Braves, but I think our pitching had a lot more to do with that. Even if we win an NBA title, which will be hard with LA and Cleveland, I still think Anderson is our best signing. What do you guys think?

What do you mean, like All time best Free Agent Signing or current (within 10 years) free agent signing.

Sorry about that, I should've clarified that. We were just thinking as far back as we could remember. I've been watching these teams since 1980 and my friend since 1985, so I guess as far back as you can remember. I consider record, playoff sucess, and the importance the player had on those goals as credentials for good singings, so that did factor in me chosing Anderson.

Turner still has something to prove IMO. He wasnt as productive this year. I know he is an elite RB, he just needs to give it all this next season. I've got nothing but love for him. He defiantly, isnt our best free agent acquisition.

I'd say Joey Harrington was... :ph34r:

Both Crawford and Crime Dog were acquired by trade. Greg Maddux has to be considered the best free agent acquisition that an Atlanta team has ever made.

I couldn't remember wether Crime Dog was traded here and I don't know why I was thinking Crawford was traded for.rolleyes.gif I guess if I'm gonna start a topic I'd better remember all my facts!

Yeah i'd agree with some of the other people. Turner has to be one of the best Free Agent Signings for this franchise, as far as I can remember (been following since 99). Just on the basis that he's one of the most significant pieces to this offense with Ryan and White. So thats my reason.

-ROCK CHALK

McGriff was traded to the Braves from the Padres for outfielders Melvin Nieves and Vince Moore and pitcher Donnie Elliott. It was a financial move for the Pads, and it no doubt played a huge role in the 95 WS. Too early to call Michael Turner the best free agent pickup, but I like where he's headed. Greg Maddux is a no brainer for best free agent signing in Atlanta sports. But how bout a little love for Ovie Mughelli. In terms of value, he paves the way for the Burner, as he is the best blocking fullback in the league.

add joe johnson to this thread..

He was important too, I picked Crawford because the team got good when we got Johnson, but the team skyrocketed when we got Crawford. Before teams doulble teamed Johnson, but when we Crawford, they could no longer do that. Crawford had an impact on everybody, all while coming off the bench.

Without a doubt that honor should go to Gregory Alan Maddux (Mad Dog). In 1993 we signed Greg to a 5 year $28M contract. He won the Cy Young his first three seasons while posting a 89-33 record during those first five seasons as a Brave. His era during those three CY seasons: 2.36, 1.56, 1.63.

He eventually won 194 games in 11 seasons as a Brave.

Sometimes when there's not a lot going on, a friend of mine and I like to talk and debate about our Atlanta teams. Since free agency is days away, we were debating who is Atlanta's best free agent signing or trade so far. Among some choices were Morten Anderson for the Falcons, Fred MaGriff for the Braves, and Jamal Crawford for the Hawks. I say Morten Anderson. I admit I'm a little biased 'cause even though I love all our Atlanta teams, the Falcons are my no.1, but Anderson was clutch for us, and not just in the NFC title game, he had some game winners during the season that helped get us to that point. I know we won a world series while FM was with the Braves, but I think our pitching had a lot more to do with that. Even if we win an NBA title, which will be hard with LA and Cleveland, I still think Anderson is our best signing. What do you guys think?

Except the only player you listed that was actually a free agent was Anderson.

The Braves traded for McGriff, and the Hawks traded for Crawford. Neither of these 2 were free agent acquistions.

1.Greg Maddux

2. Fred Mcgriff

3. Ovie Mughelli

4. Michael Turner

5. Chris Chandler

6. Look for Troy Glaus if he can stay healthy

Haha.. not an extremely impressive group, but thats a positive thing in my view. Atlanta sports build through the draft and trades, not by buying championships like Yankees, BoSox, Cowboys, Celtics, Lakers, and Redskins.