NFL combine: Weatherspoon wants to be a Falcon

atljbo

NFL combine: Weatherspoon wants to be a Falcon

Indianapolis – Missouri linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, the second rated outside linebacker in the draft by Pro Football Weekly, is doing his due diligence on the Falcons.

“I’ve seen Mr. (Thomas) Dimitroff out here a couple of times and he’s a great guy,” Weatherspoon said.

As the Falcons have tried to rebuild their defensive, Dimitroff has used both of his second picks on players from the Big 12 conference. In 2008, he selected Oklahoma linebacker Curtis Lofton. Last season, Missouri safety William Moore was the pick.

Weatherspoon, wants to be drafted higher, but wouldn’t mind coming to the Falcons at the 19th pick.

“I like the Falcons,” Weatherspoon said. “I like their style of defense and I like their linebackers. I know Lofton personally. I played against him in the Big 12.”

Weatherspoon has also been talking to Moore about the Falcons.

“He’d tell me how things were working out,” Weatherspoon said. “How you really have to step up really fast. That’s something that he said he wished he’d done a little bit better. He wishes he would have stepped up a little bit more.”

This is one of my darkhorse guys, I really do like the style spoon brings, I've just not watched him play enough football, and if Kyle Wilson is there, I don't see how I can take spoon over Wilson.

Easily because you can pick and option just as good in the third if you just have to have a CB. Option Walter Thurmond III!

If we can sign either a big-time DE or CB, I think Weatherspoon should be the pick. He is a building block. He brings much more than just the physical talent it takes. He is that fiery leader that every great defense has.

Bringing in an impact DE or CB and Weatherspoon will take our defense to another level.

Draft Spoon, sign a vet DE, draft another playmaking WR, an explosive returner, maybe a speedy RB to fill the hole left by not re-signing Norwood, and we're in decent shape. Still could use more OL depth and a solid corner, but Rome wasn't built in a day....or a draft as it were.