Dimitroff: "We're going to be creative" in uncapped year

atljbo

Dimitroff: "We're going to be creative" in uncapped year

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on February 28, 2010 10:21 AM ET

It's hard not to like Falcons G.M. Thomas Dimitroff. Anyone with the confidence to rock this haircut in the NFL isn't afraid to be a little different.

His straightforward answers are also a plus. I asked Saturday if there would be a temptation for teams to front-load contracts in the uncapped year.

While most general managers said they were operating as if nothing would change, Dimitroff said, "We're going to be creative with our contracts no question about it, but that's what this league is about."

Like everyone at the Combine, Dimitroff wasn't sure what exactly would happen starting next Friday.

"I'll be interested, honestly, to see how we end up doing a lot of contracts going forward. That's going to yet to be seen, but no question you're going to consider everything that's out there."

Dimitroff also admitted that he's often competing for the same players as some of his former co-workers in New England.

"I was up there arguing with [scott] Pioli actually . . . we were just talking about that very thing," Dimitroff said. "How you take all that you've learned from a certain organization, like New England, and the success we had. We tend to talk about that often, whether it's on the trade side of things or whether it's acquisition side. "

The group may tend to like players that have a certain makeup, but they make sure to not cross lines.

"We do a little bit of busting on each other, no question about it. Especially if we feel like the other person cut around the back to try to get something taken care of," Dmitroff said. "But we're usually pretty good. I maintain that this league is about having a handful of allies and it's very important."

If yall thought logically, we could front load a Robinson contract paired with a Kampman contract and be better off than trying to lure Peppers here and only get one key player in FA...

and before you say multiple FA's isn't TD's thing, every year he has picked up multiple FA's. Kampman/Robinson would make our defense so much better as well as a possible Spoon in the 1st. Crazy...

If yall thought logically, we could front load a Robinson contract paired with a Kampman contract and be better off than trying to lure Peppers here and only get one key player in FA...

and before you say multiple FA's isn't TD's thing, every year he has picked up multiple FA's. Kampman/Robinson would make our defense so much better as well as a possible Spoon in the 1st. Crazy...

Peppers would have more of an impact himself then Kampman and Robinson combined.

Robinson is VASTLY overrated by people on this board, and Kampman is coming off a major injury.

I would rather pay peppers who we know consistently contributes rather then hope 2 other guys will

I agree with this statement except that I'd sign Bodden over Robinson...

I'll be shocked if the Falcons sign Peppers to a huge contract. I know some team will, but that hasn't been the path your team has taken to get where they are today.

I really don't think your GM is referring to dropping a boatload of cash in free agency.

The NFL owners and GM's are using this year to get "creative" and the reduction of salary cap dead space is on their minds. The smart owners will enter 2011 with no "old cap" money remaining, allowing them a fresh start under any new bargaining agreement reached. It's time to clean up your house in the NFL. Besides, the owners have all the power right now because all of the team's 4 year guys who were going to reach free agency now must wait 2 more years. The owners are calling the shots.

The best free agents are the hungry guys in the middle who don't bankrupt your team. Peppers is at the extreme highest end of that equation. Dimitroff may frontload "middle value guys" free agency contracts, but a guy like Peppers will need a contract with huge salaries spread over 3-4 years due to the size he of contract he will demand.

Edited by SaintRay

I'll be shocked if the Falcons sign Peppers to a huge contract. I know some team will, but that hasn't been the path your team has taken to get where they are today.

I really don't think your GM is referring to dropping a boatload of cash in free agency.

The NFL owners and GM's are using this year to get "creative" and the reduction of salary cap dead space is on their minds. The smart owners will enter 2011 with no "old cap" money remaining, allowing them a fresh start under any new bargaining agreement reached. It's time to clean up your house in the NFL. Besides, the owners have all the power right now because all of the team's 4 year guys who were going to reach free agency now must wait 2 more years. The owners are calling the shots.

The best free agents are the hungry guys in the middle who don't bankrupt your team. Peppers is at the extreme highest end of that equation. Dimitroff may frontload "middle value guys" free agency contracts, but a guy like Peppers will need a contract with huge salaries spread over 3-4 years due to the size he of contract he will demand.

Hate it, but I'm agreeing w/a Saints Fan... :rolleyes:

Oakland or Buffalo might give him a payday. I still don't see the Falcons spending big time $ on him.

I could easily see the Saints giving chump change for J. Anderson (98) and us watching him finally have his breakout year, though. :o

Example.... Frontload a high price FA contact **cough-Peppers-cough** for the 1st year (2010) ... The rest of their years cap hits would be cap friendly.

Could be as simple as no signing bonus. Let's say we wanted him on a 4 year deal for 55 million. 10 million per season with a 15 million signing bonus normally. That's 25 million in year 1. So instead of a 15 million signing bonus that is spread out over the length of the deal in a capped scenario, we could give no signing bonus and a 25 million base contract in the 1st year with 10 million in base salaries the rest of the contract. That eliminates any getting stuck if the cap does somehow come back into play in 2011.

Let's use TD's connections to make a deal for Moss!!! Imagine Roddy on one side, Moss on the other and Tony G coming over the middle!!!! WOW! Oh yeah, AND having to deal with Turner!!! I know you guys think Randy is over the hill but I think even if he has lost a step he is still bad azz! Oh well, just dreaming.

GO FALCONS!!!

Must be something in the water as I am agreeing with SaintRay again! I don't see how signing Peppers is in anyway consistent with what we normally do in FA, or in personnel decisions at all. I think they will try and clean up our overhead a little, bring in a few solid contributors in FA and draft solid kids who may help this year. I just think Peppers (who is a great player) may be just too expensive for our philosophy. I think had we had a deep play off run this year, even Superbowl appearance, I think he would be a player we look at then. What this year tells me is that we are still more than one player away.

We have to see which kid will step up, if at all. Then we can really look at signing expensive FA's.

Only way you sign a player like Peppers is if it is heavily incentive laden so that he has to perform to get paid...

You darn skippy Cappy.

If you pay a guy with the reputation of Peppers a boatload of cash right off the bat in what very well may be his last contract he has exactly ZERO incentive to play hard on a consistent basis. But then again the cash might have an effect on his play, just not the effect we all want to see.

ether he has already been recovering and they said he is way ahead of schedule as well as more than ready for training camp

I have to respectfully disagree with this.

From all of the accounts I've read, HE has said he is ahead of schedule, not THEY.

In other words, all of these rumors are coming from the player himself. I mean, a 30 year old DE who had a subpar year (position change, I know) who blew out his knee late in the season, and who is entering free agency...what the heck is he supposed to say?

He's probably more than a little worried about his market value at this point. Even if his leg was amputated, he'd more than likely pull a "black knight" and call it a mere flesh wound.

So, I can't really beleive these reports about Kampman's health until I see it coming from an unbiased source.