Peppers expects to get 12 to 13 per

SWIFT HITTER

Per a league source, free agent Julius Peppers will likely land a deal with an average value in the range of $12 to $13 million, and guaranteed money in the range of $30 million.

That would put Peppers in the Dwight Freeney/Robert Mathis/Jared Allen range. Peppers, though, is seeking $18 million annually because that's what he made last year in Carolina. All he needs is one team to overbid and maybe create an auction for his services, so Peppers may be willing to sit and wait for the right contract.

4 years 44 million ..30 guaranteed.. I can live with

Thats it..That is as far as I would even think about going in those talks..I think Peppers can produce

up till around 34 and then you will see a significant breakdown ..I dont believe in back loading his contract

if were going to make such a move which Im against but I cant argue if we did I just dont want to see a six year contract ..

Thats it..That is as far as I would even think about going in those talks..I think Peppers can produce

up till around 34 and then you will see a significant breakdown ..I dont believe in back loading his contract

if were going to make such a move which Im against but I cant argue if we did I just dont want to see a six year contract ..

in a 4 year deal... ill give Peppers 4 year 48 million...30 guaranteed(12 million a year)

Peppers will be an elite DE for atleast 4 years

I really hope we don't spend that kind of money on Peppers. We could possible sign two other players

for the same money. Your thoughts

Im not a fan of Peppers I hope we go another route but if we do happen to sign him which ill put at 2 percent chance I really cant be negative about signing a very good pass rusher just as long as the money aint absurd

what we need this off season he is a free agent corner and a veteran pass rusher..

We have too many key players becming FA's in the next 2-3 years to go throwing silly money at Peppers.

I'd hate to lose HD, Lofton, Decoud, Biermann, Sidbury or Owens in their prime, all for a gamble on Peppers. We have a lot of other important players who will also be FA's in the next 2 years. They include Dahl, Claybo, McClure, Blalock, Coleman, McClure, Gonzalez, Weems, Abraham, Peterson, Houston, Grimes, Jackosn and Norwood. Even if most of the 2nd group are dispensible and won't be paid to stay around, they will still need to replaced via free agency (which is expensive) or the draft (which means forward planning and giving the replacements time to develop).

With 4 starting OL to resign or replace in the next 2 years as well as the much of backbone of our young defence, I think it would be extremely foolish to give Peppers what he is seeking - and that's before we even consider the significant risk that Peppers will decline as shown by the well documented evidence that the majority of DEs hit the wall at 31/32.

I can't think of anything worse that having to watch Lofton/Decoud/Owens leave to play elsewhere in 2 years time, espacially if it is because we are contractaully committed to - and using 10% of our cap space on - a severely declining Julius Peppers.

Remember the keys rules of free agency:-

- Focus on mid-level FA, who represent much better value for money

- Save the big $ contracts for keeping you own best players.

I can see him landing 13 mill easy.

He wont get the franchise tag 1 year deal money. Thats dumb. But he is the biggest name DE in FA and it is our biggest need.

It isnt like Rb`s that are becoming a dime a dozen and alot of value in FA and in the draft.

drafting a DE is a work in progress and may not work out. Like JA... waste of high dollar money.

But There is kinda slim pickems in the FA pool for good DE`s.

As far as paying someone... every year 1st round picks get payed in full just signing a deal. So im not as concerned with the cost. **** the siants are rumored to keep bush at 8 mill. Now thats crazy. But if its a need you have and its a key then your gonna have to pay to fill that need. id easily pay peppers 13 mill vs bush at 8 mill and draft picks. Im just using bush as a example.

But we got the O we just need a D that can stop high powered teams. How did the saints stop the vikes? They got pressure!

That would put Peppers in the Dwight Freeney/Robert Mathis/Jared Allen range. Peppers, though, is seeking $18 million annually because that's what he made last year in Carolina.

:lol::lol:

Yesterday Schefter said that he will be lucky to get over $10 milly. AND the NFLPA said they will watch FA very closely, likely in an effort to show that owners are doing just fine. So I'm not too sure the owners will be going crazy, because one expensive contract could cost them multiple millions of dollars a year across the length of the new CBA. Most owners are very successful businessmen, and I am sure they are aware of this.

If we could get him for 4 years (and not 6+) I would be less against getting Peppers.

We have too many key players becming FA's in the next 2-3 years to go throwing silly money at Peppers.

I'd hate to lose HD, Lofton, Decoud, Biermann, Sidbury or Owens in their prime, all for a gamble on Peppers. We have a lot of other important players who will also be FA's in the next 2 years. They include Dahl, Claybo, McClure, Blalock, Coleman, McClure, Gonzalez, Weems, Abraham, Peterson, Houston, Grimes, Jackosn and Norwood. Even if most of the 2nd group are dispensible and won't be paid to stay around, they will still need to replaced via free agency (which is expensive) or the draft (which means forward planning and giving the replacements time to develop).

With 4 starting OL to resign or replace in the next 2 years as well as the much of backbone of our young defence, I think it would be extremely foolish to give Peppers what he is seeking - and that's before we even consider the significant risk that Peppers will decline as shown by the well documented evidence that the majority of DEs hit the wall at 31/32.

I can't think of anything worse that having to watch Lofton/Decoud/Owens leave to play elsewhere in 2 years time, espacially if it is because we are contractaully committed to - and using 10% of our cap space on - a severely declining Julius Peppers.

Thanks a realistic post and if the board can't understand this and have'nt realised that Peppers is a Fantasy that won't happen well this post right here should explain exactly why we should not commit to him.

+1. Great post. No way TD goes after this lazy malcontent.

He wont get the franchise tag 1 year deal money. Thats dumb. But he is the biggest name DE in FA and it is our biggest need.

How do you know that? The franchise tage for DE this year is $12.398m, and that's the average $ amount that many people are expecting him to get, if not more.

Why I don't disagree with everything you have said. A lot of the teams that have broken those rules are winning Super Bowls. This is a business. If you want to win, you have to spend.

Excellent point made.

It's not that I don't like Peppers personally...he's one of the best DEs in the league...an immediate upgrade to any team's pass rush. What I don't like is the risk that comes with signing a player like Peppers.

So if Peppers peters out in 2 years then they can't cut him with 15M in a cap hit. I think honestly adding another 30+ DE just sets the future up for failure with 2 DE positions unadressed. Hopefully Abe's got some fight left and can bring up Sid, Bier, and a draft pick. Having 2 old DE's at 8M+ a year with the other developing DE's taking a backseat is the Dan Snyder/Al Davis way of doing things.

I agree TD needs to do something big in the pass rush department and yes maybe Peppers does step up for a year or two than is only one part of the puzzle. Even worse what if he falls flat and the pass rush sucks at 25M for the bookends who couldn't turn back time? Hurtwell and Pointlessly Pricey will seem like minor hiccups in comparison.

While I agree with your stance in a way I disagree with your views as well.

You say this

I'd hate to lose HD, Lofton, Decoud, Biermann, Sidbury or Owens
outside of

Lofton and Decound those players are replaceable if we continue to draft well and plus they are fairly young players as well still into there first contract . So as money comes in money gets cut were about to lose contracts like Abe, Peterson, Coleman,Jenkins(possibly) as well so its a 2 way street we didnt have a tough time renewing the contracts of Jenkins/Babs/Davis..THESE WERE CONSIDERED OUR YOUNG PLAYERS

outside Babs .... Davis/Jenkins are replaceable. so its nice in way to keep the talent you drafted they also have to be productive on the field

Now am I fully behind signing a high prized free agent especially a older defensive end . Not particularly

but right now there is no CBA we are a win now team along with building towards the future that could be the only reason why when we decided to trade away our 2nd round pick for a aging tight end in Tony Gonzalez

If the contract is right and we dont have to throw out absurd money to Peppers or a long term back loaded contract where we are in desperate need of a pass rusher it cant be a move you argue against

Edited by SWIFT HITTER

:lol::lol:

Yesterday Schefter said that he will be lucky to get over $10 milly. AND the NFLPA said they will watch FA very closely, likely in an effort to show that owners are doing just fine. So I'm not too sure the owners will be going crazy, because one expensive contract could cost them multiple millions of dollars a year across the length of the new CBA. Most owners are very successful businessmen, and I am sure they are aware of this.

If we could get him for 4 years (and not 6+) I would be less against getting Peppers.

This pretty much reflects my opinion. I think this is the wrong year to try to bank hugh contracts. I would stop just short of the word collusion, but owners are under a little peer pressure this off season.

...we could lose some players, but then Ryan's contarct escalates significantly in future years, as do Turner's and Babineaux's. We also don't know where the future cap is going to be set, as the owner opted out onf the CBA on the basis that the players are gettign $200m more than they should, meaning thast the cap is about $7m higher than it should be.

Lofton and Decoud will require sizeable contracts in the next 2 years if they are to stay, barring injury or a major decline in performance, and there is every chance that Biermann and Owens will do the same. Sidbury, Moore and HD are unknow quantiies at the moment, but based on TD's previous track recrod they could well join them.

It's fine to say that Dahl, Claybo, McClure, Blalock, Coleman, Gonzalez, Weems, Abraham, Nicholas, Peterson, Houston, Grimes, Jackosn and Norwood are all replacable, but what sort of state is it going to leave us in if we have to replace 11 starters in the space of 1 or 2 years? Each one that we retian is likely to cost $3m-4m a season at the very least, and competent mid-level FA replacement will the same (and above average FA's even more).

We have a fanstactic foundation in palce, but keeping it in place and building upon it is going to be a major challenge. TD can (and probably will do it) but it will require the fiscal responsibility that TD keep talking about. Peppers is way too expensive and also way too risky.