Bruce Campbell, OT-Maryland

g-dawg

I watched it - very impressive fluid motion for a guy that big.

this guy is 6'7" and 310lbs - does not have the traditional beer gut that most offensive linemen have - as a matter of fact, this guy looks more like a Tight End than an Offensive Tackle.

I know its "How you play on Sundays" but if this guy looks good at all on film, he could be a heck of a left tackle in the NFL - the guy has the NFL body, long arms and speed.

This guy just made himself some money today because I think he might "jump ahead" of at least one Offensive Lineman - specifically Anthony Davis who looks flabby, ran a 5.38 and 5.41/40, is said to have poor work ethic and only benched 225lbs a total of 21 times - very poor for a lineman.

Edited by g-dawg

Well, those numbers do look very impressive.

But I have to admit, I've not seen much film on Campbell. I try not to get seduced by combine performances. There's always those players that look like Tarzan and plays like Jane. The combine seems to always distort people's perceptions of a player's talent.

But a perfromance like that deserves a bit of investigating, I must say.

Don't we have a couple of Maryland/Virginia folks on here that can shed some light on this cat?

Anthony Davis may be flabby, and he did run a slow 40, but he has the quickest feet in pass protection in this group. Hopefully he falls to us. 40 times don't matter at all for OTs, the quick feet, knee bending, etc are what count.

Edited by yesmann

Well, those numbers do look very impressive.

But I have to admit, I've not seen much film on Campbell. I try not to get seduced by combine performances. There's always those players that look like Tarzan and plays like Jane. The combine seems to always distort people's perceptions of a player's talent.

But a perfromance like that deserves a bit of investigating, I must say.

Don't we have a couple of Maryland/Virginia folks on here that can shed some light on this cat?

I agree with you 100% on the good end. When guys have very poor performances, however, that says a lot to me, unless there is a medical reason for it. All these guys are athletic phemoms in one way or another, or they would not be invited in the first place. Therefore they need to post numbers that a highly fit and athletic person would, or it shows lack of preparation.

Anthony Davis may be flabby, and he did run a slow 40, but he has the quickest feet in pass protection in this group. Hopefully he falls to us. 40 times don't matter at all for OTs, the quick feet, knee bending, etc are what count.

If he's there with our first I wouldn't mind having him. He has the potential to be a really good RT in the NFL.

Just some twitter mentions, and something from PFT on the quick 40 and Campbell:

MoveTheSticks

I've never been in a draft room where we drastically altered an OL on our board because he ran the 40 fast/slow... not a big deal

DraftCountdown

Raw. Inconsistent. Bad Awareness. Doesn't Finish. Basketball Player Playing Football. RT @Kevin_Meeker: What are Bruce Campbell's downsides?

Despite the eye-popping 4.78-second 40-yard dash generated by non-donut-eating Bruce Campbell in the donut run and his 34 reps in the 225-pound bench press, Campbell isn't a lock to be taken in the top ten.

He's not even a lock to be taken in round one.

One league source tells us that multiple teams have applied a round-four grade on Campbell, based on evaluation of his college game film. Another league source described Campbell's game film as "terrible."

The dynamic immediately brings to mind Jets linebacker Vernon Gholston. The Jets fell in love with his physique and his non-football feats, and they ignored a set of 2007 game tapes in which he disappeared for long stretches. The thinking by many -- that a player destined to be great in the NFL is always great in the college game -- has been confirmed by Gholston's NFL career to date.

That was from PFT. He sounds like a Raiders guy to me.

Being a terp and a falcons fan. I would have said that DHB is a far better prospect. Maryland O line was horrendous this year which lead to the worst season in maryland history. You can't blame that all on Campbell, he is the most intimidating person I have ever seen up close. He is no hasheem thabeet, but will take time to become a skilled player.

DING DING DING

I do believe we have a winner.

Dang Sporky you are really on top of the game this year.

Please, I am always at the top of the game.

I almost feel like Raiders won't draft him, because it makes too much sense. He follows every first round draft pick of Oakland:

Is he faster than others at his position in a straight line? Yes.

Is he a physical specimen? Yes.

Can he actually play football? Not really.

Does he have a good work ethic? Probably not.

Is there serious debate on whether or not the guy can make it in the NFL? Yes. I would note that Robert Gallery was supposed to be NFL ready. I remember one scouting report saying he could start day one on 32 NFL teams.

This is like DHB, Jamarcus, McFadden, and pretty much every first rounder and most every other pick from the Raiders the past decade. You can probably figure out why it's been a bad decade for them.

To paraphrase Russ Lande of the Sporting News, Bruce Campbell is a first round quality LT prospect. He has excellent pass blocking skills and average run blocking production. The big knock on him has been his frequent injury history. There is no doubt that he can protect the QB's blindside, so he will get drafted in the first. He is not a workout warrior because there is production on the field. The real gamble with him is on his health.

He worked out well at the Combine, so we know that he has his health, for the moment.