My take on the Peppers situation

With 14 million a yr, we get one of the top three DE in the game. He will play his *** off twice a year in carolina whom we have struggled to beat as of late. The real question is what do we get for that 14 million.

Starting with least important gains

Jamal Anderson would have two of the best DE in the game to help him progress

We get another leader on defense

We actually get a pass rush, freeing up more space for linebackers and our other ends to get in the backfield.

WE get the opposing offense gameplanning against someone for once

We get 11 players with the acquisition of 1, you ask how, well you get 2 lineman or lineman Te or lineman hb trying to chip and block peppers, this takes away the extra targeat for a pass. abe drops from two blocks to one and actually becomes more effective again meaning large focus on the outside of the line. This spread the interior of the line out so jamal jerry babs and whomever else we draft is well rested and has more space to use their speed maneuvers against less athletic heavier guards and center. The ends force the qb up instead of toward the sidlines making out routes tougher to throw meaning it narrows the field and brings the qb toward the DT's. The cover guys have to cover for less time and there bumps that throw off the routes will become a larger impact. THis will give them better opportunities to force turnovers and bad throws. The LB are also used less in the blitz and can drop in the zone meaning eyes are always on the ball. The field suddenly becomes alot tighter and the qb wont get comfortable.

On run plays, the busted blocking leads to negative rushes and 2nd and 3rd and longs meaning even more yds necessary in a pass play and we can actually successfully blitz without liability. So to spend 15 million on a player that boosts everyones ability, or to spend 5 on three players that are going to just be bodies, you make the call. ITs like the Titans, Look at the defense minus haynesworth. Totally different. With the way our guys played in the end of the season, getting back our first two draft picks from last year, and that addition of peppers, the whole defense will be a new unit. plus one more year in the system, some swagger, and some rest due to drives stalling more frequently, we would be nuts. No salary cap, get the kid. Especially with drew brees in our division. No dome team has ever won a superbowl until indy did. They did this with homefield advantage. We wont beat the saints with the defense we have now. We wont beat them ever without a pass rush. They have too many weapons that can get open with time. The key to beating the playoff teams, pass rush, or no time for them to throw.

I.E. Colts Manning

Pats Brady

chargers Rivers

Vikings Favre

saints brees

Cardinals Was Warner

all these teams you beat with a pass rush

the giants beat brady with pass rush

the saints beat vikings pass rush

saints beat colts with pass rush

anyone agree, sorry so long but im such a fan and I just cant imagine passing on this opportunity especially after our main issues from last year would be instantly addressed.

With 14 million a yr, we get one of the top three DE in the game. He will play his *** off twice a year in carolina whom we have struggled to beat as of late. The real question is what do we get for that 14 million.

We actually get a pass rush, freeing up more space for linebackers and our other ends to get in the backfield.

We get 11 players with the acquisition of 1, you ask how, well you get 2 lineman or lineman Te or lineman hb trying to chip and block peppers, this takes away the extra targeat for a pass. abe drops from two blocks to one and actually becomes more effective again meaning large focus on the outside of the line. This spread the interior of the line out so jamal jerry babs and whomever else we draft is well rested and has more space to use their speed maneuvers against less athletic heavier guards and center. The ends force the qb up instead of toward the sidlines making out routes tougher to throw meaning it narrows the field and brings the qb toward the DT's. The cover guys have to cover for less time and there bumps that throw off the routes will become a larger impact. THis will give them better opportunities to force turnovers and bad throws. The LB are also used less in the blitz and can drop in the zone meaning eyes are always on the ball. The field suddenly becomes alot tighter and the qb wont get comfortable.

On run plays, the busted blocking leads to negative rushes and 2nd and 3rd and longs meaning even more yds necessary in a pass play and we can actually successfully blitz without liability. So to spend 15 million on a player that boosts everyones ability, or to spend 5 on three players that are going to just be bodies, you make the call. ITs like the Titans, Look at the defense minus haynesworth. Totally different. With the way our guys played in the end of the season, getting back our first two draft picks from last year, and that addition of peppers, the whole defense will be a new unit. plus one more year in the system, some swagger, and some rest due to drives stalling more frequently, we would be nuts. No salary cap, get the kid. Especially with drew brees in our division. No dome team has ever won a superbowl until indy did. They did this with homefield advantage. We wont beat the saints with the defense we have now. We wont beat them ever without a pass rush. They have too many weapons that can get open with time. The key to beating the playoff teams, pass rush, or no time for them to throw.

I.E. Colts Manning

Pats Brady

chargers Rivers

Vikings Favre

saints brees

Cardinals Was Warner

anyone agree, sorry so long but im such a fan and I just cant imagine passing on this opportunity especially after our main issues from last year would be instantly addressed.

I think everybody agrees that we need to improve our pass rush, not just a little, but a lot. It's possible that Jamal may blossom this year, but I don't have much confidence that he will.Honestly, I wished we could get a late round draft pick for him or a trade, but I doubt It. I understand what your saying and I agree that one impact player can force many changes to opposing teams and our own team, which is a good thing ofcourse.

The Saints pass rush did improve a great deal especially at the end of the season (playoffs too) Both Manning and Brett didn't have much time to throw. Actually the Saints defense played very good overall. I believe that pass rush was more effective than the Saints offense.

I would love to get Peppers......Yes, Falcons need to upgrade their pass rush in a mighty way. Peppers by himself would achieve that when coupled with Abe, Babs and Jerry. That would be a formidable passrush.

Here is why it won't happen:

1) money- Thomas Dimitroff is very disciplined about being "fiscally responsible". If Peppers commands over $10million/yr - which is debatable at this point - then I think Falcons will pass...

2)personality/effort- Peppers has the reputation of turning it on/off when he wants to and disappearing for games at a time. He also is said to be somewhat aloof and distant from other players in the locker room.

As much as I love the talent of Peppers, I think if you are going to be one of the 2-3 highest players on a team, there is some responsibility that comes with that in the form of effort and being a leader/good teammate with your team. Since Peppers is 30 (and not 24/25 or something) we cannot blame this on age immaturity.

Also, as Peppers ages, his talent will diminish each year and he will need effort/desire/consistency in his personality to overcome his diminishing talent - qualities Peppers does not possess or qualities he has not demonstrated in his 8 previous years in the NFL - players like Ray Lewis can compensate for their diminishing skills because of his superior work ethic, desire to dominate and his leadership.

These are my reasons why I think Thomas Dimitroff may do little more than "kick the tires" on Julius Peppers. Some team where the GM/Coach are in trouble - they will overlook the age/cost/personality/effort issues of Peppers and overpay him while throwing caution to the wind. I've heard Chicago might just be that team. Makes sense as Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo are in trouble up there.

Edited by g-dawg

I would love to get Peppers......Yes, Falcons need to upgrade their pass rush in a mighty way. Peppers by himself would achieve that when coupled with Abe, Babs and Jerry. That would be a formidable passrush.

Here is why it won't happen:

1) money

2)personality/effort

To address these two concerns, I'd like to counter with:

1) Are you thinking fiscally responsible is synonymous with cheap? If TD has shown anything, it's that he doesn't hesitate to spend big bucks for big players. He gave Turner a very hefty contract considering he was an unproven career back up (so much that Michael never even visited any other teams); TD gave Ryan what at the time was the largest contract ever given to a rookie; and TD has also paid out what some will feel is a generous contract to resign Babs and Jenkins. Now, no one is suggesting that any of those contracts would compare to the magnitude of Pepper's deal. But, none of those players compare to the magnitude of Pepper's talent/production (Ryan being the only exception in each case). My point is - TD will spend if the player is deemed worthy.

2) By all accounts, Peppers is a great teammate. Sure, he's quiet. He doesn't really want the "leadership" tag that most teams expect out of their star players. Here, that's fine. Abe is a leader. Pete is a leader. Coleman has taken on more leadership since the departure of Milloy. Finally, Lofton is starting to assert himself as THE leader on our defense. We don't need Peppers to do anything but his job ON THE FIELD and not get into any off the field trouble (something he has no problem with).

As for this assinine "he disappears" tag. Guess what? All DEs disappear from time to time. Peppers, who plays something like 80% of the downs up there in Charlotte, will be rotated here to help bring about more consistency. But don't suggest his "disappearing act" is anything different than other top flight DEs. Those guys typically get their sacks in bunches.

Besides, teams also rotated their protection schemes to Pepper's side. They can't do that here! It wouldn't surprise me one little bit if Pepper's production actually increased if we landed him.

And even if it didn't, and even if he takes plays off, and even if he takes GAMES off, his production is still vastly better than anything we've got on the left side. It's like dogging a Ferrari because it only goes 180 mph when you read in a magazine it would top 200 mph. We're currently driving a couple of Hyundais whose speeds top out at 85! So what if the ride could go faster, it still goes fast enough.

I.E. Colts Manning

Pats Brady

chargers Rivers

Vikings Favre

saints brees

Cardinals Was Warner

I agree.

It goes without saying that the Falcons need to strengthen their pass rush but Thomas Dimitroff is a very fiscally responsible GM who comes from the Patriots organization which builds through the NFL Draft and never overpays for Free Agents. I think he will strongly approach the Julius Peppers possibility but will only close the deal if the money is right, there are a lot of avenues that the Falcons can do to fix things, Peria Jerry coming back certainly won't hurt and Kroy Bierrman and Lawrence Sidbury are coming along quite well.

I agree... but we arent the only team gonna be after Peppers.

But we saw abe even drop back instead of pash rushing... it would be crazy confusion to have both of them jumping in and out of passrush not to mention having them both pass rush.

A big key people over look is being able to disguise what the D is doing to confuse the qb and cause forced passes. With the depth we would have and if we had no injuries we would be sick to try and defend.

Not to mention finally start mixing things up instead of either the "bend but dont break" D or send the house D and risk getting burned.

Grimes attacks the ball also, he would benefit alot from a passrush.

But while id like to have him, realistic it would be tough just because teams like the redskins will do stupid deals just to sell jerseys.