mike full of mularky

Is mike full of mularky a good enough coach to win the big one?

this is a legit question IMO, espcially watching a sobering conclusion to the superbowl yesterday where I knew all year that the saints were so close to it. My buddy is a saints fan, and even in their 8-8 year we both knew there were a "good enough defense" away from lifting a lombardi (he made sure he rubbed it in). Sean payton was just a heck of coach, and with bush, shockey, colston, meechem, and moore they were going to have a pick your poison offense that was going to annihilate the league, it was just a matter of time.

My beef is, we have comparable talent, howcome our offense seems to be so putrid and inefficient???

can mularky get there provided we have a middle of the pack defense?

Edited by osiruz

I'm certainly on the fence with Mularkey.

In 2008, he utilized Matt Ryan in ways that allowed him to succeed.

In 2009, he hardly adapted at all and called everything Tony's way.

-- He gets one more year to show that he knows this offense and can call it so that is caters to the personnel's skills and advantage. If everyone can stay healthy, he will be more than fine.

If there is another noticeable down-turn of his playcalling in 2010, I think it might be time to give Musgrave a chance to run the offense.

I'm certainly on the fence with Mularkey.

In 2008, he utilized Matt Ryan in ways that allowed him to succeed.

In 2009, he hardly adapted at all and called everything Tony's way.

-- He gets one more year to show that he knows this offense and can call it so that is caters to the personnel's skills and advantage. If everyone can stay healthy, he will be more than fine.

If there is another noticeable down-turn of his playcalling in 2010, I think it might be time to give Musgrave a chance to run the offense.

Exactly how I feel.

you know where i stand ..lol

Yes I do :lol:

honestly, i dont think he has the ability to win the big game. this year's playcalling was bad and just horrible at times. if he went back to his playcalling from the first year, then he can MAYBE get us there. but i dont ever see him calling good plays game in and game out. if we ever do make it, it will be because of players talent and not Mularkey.

Is mike full of mularky a good enough coach to win the big one?

this is a legit question IMO, espcially watching a sobering conclusion to the superbowl yesterday where I knew all year that the saints were so close to it. My buddy is a saints fan, and even in their 8-8 year we both knew there were a "good enough defense" away from lifting a lombardi (he made sure he rubbed it in). Sean payton was just a heck of coach, and with bush, shockey, colston, meechem, and moore they were going to have a pick your poison offense that was going to annihilate the league, it was just a matter of time.

My beef is, we have comparable talent, howcome our offense seems to be so putrid and inefficient???

can mularky get there provided we have a middle of the pack defense?

C'mon guys we were in the top half of the league in points scored and we had major injuries to key players on our offense. I also think we need to be more confident in our coaching staff.

I paid Careful and Painful attention to the plays that were called this season.

Over the course of the season I have absolutely hated on Mularkey.

Now the following is not for the feint of heart, myself included, being that I

could be seriously wrong.

Also you need to know that I am NOT Defending Mularkey (cork it)

Here Goes.

Mularkey has been around for a while, and you do not keep in the game

with out seeking a Crown and some Jewels to place in it.

By GAWD I HATE the 49'er uh's

I dont give a rats back side to your opinion on that because they

are still a HATED Divisional Opponent in my eyes.

Bill Walsh made the Blueprint on how to build an Offense and how to

groom that system.

I watched that Carp for years and saw all of the interviews, and the

featured articles.

2010 will be another season of growth in progression, and likely we will see

flashes of things to come that will be the mainstay of the 2011 Season.

The only thing that stands in the way of this will be injuries.

Blah blah blah. He's so bad that he help coach a Falcons team to back to back winning season. Plus he called an offense that had their starting RB (that was second in the league in rushing), a starting QB injuried (that was the rookie of the year), a starting reciever that held out for most of training camp, and a OL that could be mistaken for a swinging gate.

So I think he did a pretty good job for what he had.

Edited by Ga_spider

Blah blah blah. He's so bad that he help coach a Falcons team to back to back winning season. Plus he called an offense that had their starting RB (that was second in the league in rushing), a starting QB injuried (that was the rookie of the year), a starting reciever that held out for most of training camp, and a OL that could be mistaken for a swinging gate.

During the season I was upset at BVG and Mularky. I don't agree with MM's play calling, but looking back they did the best they could with who they could on what was a harsh schedule even with a healthy team - which the FALCONS didn't have.

I have to agree with you on this, your right. I wouldn't have agreed during the season but looking back I think they deserve a pass.

The fact is that they made mistakes with their calls, but ya know, hopefully they will learn from those mistakes and not make them again.

I mean if you bring in new coaches your looking at the team learning a new system and new coaches trying to learn from new mistakes.

I was wrong in my opinions during the season and I am man enough to admit it.

Your right IMO.......

I'll have to agree with you there, dude! If we had stayed healthy, we might have been the ones holding up that Lombardi, Sunday. I mean, all teams had injuries.......but it seemed like the ones who had players who could step in without much of a let-down, were the ones who went on to the playoffs. And I don't think we're there, yet.......we need DEPTH.......at ALL positions.

But I DO feel like Mularkey has got to show us next season, that he has the talent to "coach-up" a very talented group of players (some elite), and take them to the "next level". Otherwise, his "stock" drops, in my eyes.

2010 will be another season of growth in progression, and likely we will see

flashes of things to come that will be the mainstay of the 2011 Season.

The only thing that stands in the way of this will be injuries.

If there is a 2011 season.

:(

Reminds me of how I felt the 1994 MLB strike robbed the Braves of their 1st best chance to win it all. Yes the Expos were very good....but that 1994 Braves team was scary good and getting on a roll. IMO that strike prevented a back-to-back for our city.

Nevermind the offensive coordinator; Saints have a better offence than us. Better QB and better receivers; especially at depth, and a better OLine especially in the run game. They've got far more explosive players than we do. Infact, our 2 most explosive players in Douglas and Norwood barely played this season. Douglas was on IR and Norwood never really recovered from an injury he suffered early on.

Mularkey takes NO risks, and is far to conservative. Like I have said before, I am so sick of the RUN, RUN, PASS, PUNT. It happens far to often. Im sorry, but our offense is just boring, and predicable with MM calling the plays.

That's just flat out wrong. We passed more than we ran last year (around 56%) and were 49%/51% pass/run on 1st downs. We were middle of the pack in the league in passing on 1st downs.

Mularkey is far from a liability. We are lucky to have him, and is there ANYONE our fairweather fans wouldn't run out of town? I'm almost positive we would have ran Sean Peyton out of town after going 7-9 and 8-8 in 2007 and 2008.

Give the coaches time. They have all already proved they are highly capable. This wasn't a championship team they took over.