All Time Top 10 Falcon Draft Picks

OK Falconidae, here are the best Atlanta Falcon Top 10 Draft Picks as you requested sir:

1989 - Deion Sanders (5) - lock as a HOFer. Unmatched athleticism. A 4.2 beast

1966 - Tommy Nobis (1) - should be a HOFer. Compared to Butkus. 300 tackles a year

2001 - Michael Vick (1) - from another planet. Hate on haters he can run, pass and win

1968 - Claude Humphrey (3) - a sack machine. Unfortunately they didn't keep stats then

1975 - Steve Bartkowski (1) - most accurate Falcon QB ever. An 80 yard gun slinger

1982 - Gerald Riggs (9) - could run for four yards on any defense, on any given day

2008 - Matt Ryan (3) - all time winningest Falcon QB with 30 or more starts

1985 - Bill Fralic (2) - a road grinder. Could play either guard

2004 - DeAngelo Hall (8) - another unpopular VT player. Dude was a player. Trust me

1966 - George Kunz (2) - Brought plenty pain with Claude

Honorable mention to Bob Whitfield, Warren Bryant, Junior Miller, Rick Bryan and Lincoln Kennedy.

I would have to put both William Andrews AND Jamal (one-A) Anderson in that list as opposed to Gerald Riggs. Riggs was never a part of any successful Falcons teams, whereas Andrews was key in two playoff runs. Also, like him or not, we rode Jamal Anderson's back straight into the Super Bowl. Any player on that team will tell you that. And he was a SEVENTH round pick. Not to mention that Andrews was a THIRD round pick.

And then there's Jesse Tuggle, who was undrafted. So I guess technically he doesn't qualify. But in terms of value for dollar he certainly does.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Falconidae, here are the best Atlanta Falcon Top 10 Draft Picks as you requested sir:

1989 - Deion Sanders (5) - lock as a HOFer. Unmatched athleticism. A 4.2 beast

1966 - Tommy Nobis (1) - should be a HOFer. Compared to Butkus. 300 tackles a year

2001 - Michael Vick (1) - from another planet. Hate on haters he can run, pass and win

1968 - Claude Humphrey (3) - a sack machine. Unfortunately they didn't keep stats then

1975 - Steve Bartkowski (1) - most accurate Falcon QB ever. An 80 yard gun slinger

1982 - Gerald Riggs (9) - could run for four yards on any defense, on any given day

2008 - Matt Ryan (3) - all time winningest Falcon QB with 30 or more starts

1985 - Bill Fralic (2) - a road grinder. Could play either guard

2004 - DeAngelo Hall (8) - another unpopular VT player. Dude was a player. Trust me

1966 - George Kunz (2) - Brought plenty pain with Claude

Honorable mention to Bob Whitfield, Warren Bryant, Junior Miller, Rick Bryan and Lincoln Kennedy.

A correction ff. George Kunz was an O-lineman drafted in 1969. Great player.

And unlike many people I do believe Michael Vick belongs there. He turned around a franchise, took us two rounds deep into the playoffs in 2 of his 4 1/2 years. And at the point he was convicted he was the ONLY Falcons QB in history with a winning record as a starter (other than Wade Wilson, who had like 3 starts). Whether or not he was on the decline at that point is irrelevant. He already qualified. Frankly, with the recklessness that Vick played I never expected to get more than 5-7 years out of him anyway. It was clear that he had lost half a step as early as late 2005. And for his game and the way he played, half a step was critical.

As for DHall, I somewhat disagree. Cornerback is a tough position. Tougher now than ever. But to me most of his picks were "gifts" rather than great plays. He even cost us a couple games with his selfishness and lack of self control. I just don't believe he was as good as projected. Certainly nowhere near the corner that Sanders was.

If you want to replace DHall with someone, pick Scott Case. An absolute FEROCIOUS hitter, possibly the hardest hitting Falcon defensive player ever. Very much in the mold of Brian Dawkins, he started at safety most of his years. Then one season we lost a starting cornerback so what did Case do? He moved to CB on the coaches' request and LED THE NFL IN INTERCEPTIONS. Look it up. He was drafted in the 2nd round, 32nd overall.

Furthermore 1970, I have seniority. ;)

I don't understand this list.

Is it the 10 best top 10 picks in Falcons history?

Is it the 10 best draft picks in Falcon history?

Are you assigning value to each pick?

I don't think Vick or Hall belongs on that list. Getting beat by a slow WR who is also missing a shoe and having photographic evidence on that should disqualify you. Also Vick could run but lost just as many games with his arm and turnovers than he won with both. He was on a very steady decline before he went to Federal Prison for 2 years. Had he not gone away he would have been cut for failing miserably in Quitrino's system. He needed a 65% completion percentage. I doubt he could count the 65 dog carcasses buried up at Moonlight Road.

And are we just counting years as a Falcon? Favre would be number 1 on that list otherwise...

I fail to see how Matt Ryan is the alltime winningest falcons QB.. Vick had 35+ wins, I know that for sure, while Ryan hasnt even played 35 games yet. so He doesnt even pass Vick (i dunno how many bart/etc have)If you are talking win percentage.. well give him afew more years. I mean, I bet we have some 2-0 QB who started 2 games then left, or something like that.. giving him 100% win percentage. But we wouldnt count that, would we? So why should we count someone whos played 1 and a half season?

With a win over the Bucs in week 17 Ryan bypassed Vick to become the all time winningest Falcon QB with 30 or more starts. His record is now 18-12 (.600) as a starter, while Vick's is 38-28-1 (.567).

I agree with D-Hall being on this list..Coming out of college D-Hall was an amazing talent... The guy came to Atlanta and become one of the best CB's in the league rather you like his lil kid attitude or not.... D-Hall had 17 ints (36 pass deflections) and 2 probowls over his 4 years as an falcon (remember that he missed like half of his rookie season with an injury)...D-Hall was not a Darrelle Revis type CB but he was a Asante Samuel type CB (make plays but can be beat by double moves)

Excellent post!

1)Tommy Nobis2)Steve Bartkowski3)William Andrews4)Claude Humphry5)Gerald Riggs6)Deion Sanders7)Jamal Anderson 328)Bill Fralic9)Jeff Van Note10)Mike Kennassorted others Chris Miller, Bobby Butler, Michael Haynes, Bob Whitfield, Bob Christian, Lynn Cain, Scott Case, Algae Crumpler

Only a few of these players were Top 10 picks.

Dhall kind of defined bust, as soon as he left here...I'm not a huge Brooking fan, but he should be there, and whitfield got an honorable mention? Your list is a joke, as much as you are.

If you think DHall was a bust, then well, you're a bust.

Brooking was not drafted in the Top10.

Agree about Whitfield and revised the list.

Can you explain to me how the hail you pass for 11,500 yards and 72 TDs when you can't pass?

His passing numbers aren't impressive. He never had 3000 yards in a season or more than 20 TDs. In that same span Drew Brees threw for nearly 22000 yards 134 TDs and a 65% complete. Vick is a text book bust. Had he been drafted in the 3rd round someone could live with those numbers.

His passing numbers aren't impressive. He never had 3000 yards in a season or more than 20 TDs. In that same span Drew Brees threw for nearly 22000 yards 134 TDs and a 65% complete.

You still didn't explain how you can throw for 11,500 yards and 72 TDs when you can't pass. If that's too tough try explaining how he threw a bomb and a TD on us in a freakin Eagle uniform when he can't pass.

Vick is a text book bust

-38-28-1 on six teams that six other QBs went 13-32 on

-15,364 yards and 92 TDs in basically four and a half seasons

-Three time Pro Bowler

-Led a 7-9 team to the second round of the playoffs

-Led a 2-10 team to a 3-1 finish

-Led a 5-11 team to an NFCCG

-Made enough plays to go at least 10-6 in each of his full seasons

That's a text book bust? OK.

You still didn't explain how you can throw for 11,500 yards and 72 TDs when you can't pass. If that's too tough try explaining how he threw a bomb and a TD on us in a freakin Eagle uniform when he can't pass.

-Three time Pro Bowler

only an idiot or a racist would call vick a bust. the truth is probably somewhere in the middle of the two.

-Three time Pro Bowler

He wasn't a bust as far as athleticism goes. If you rate him as exciting to watch then yeah he would be top 10. He's not a good passing QB. That's ridiculous. First off, I can remember every commentator while watching the away games say the key to stopping Vick is forcing him to pass.

He only completed around 50% of his passes. That's half and you can't blame that on drops. The Vick won in Lambeau in January statistic is nonsense. Vick completed all of 13 passes for a whopping 117 yards. No that's not a misprint 117. Sounds like Mark Sanchez was in that game.

As for being a 3 time Pro Bowler, Vince Young is a 2 time Pro Bowler. Most people have to know it's not a valid measurement of a players production. Even the players say from time to time certain players get voted in by default unless they absolutely bomb.

Everybody's top 10 is obviously different and Vick was not a bust in the typical sense of the word but to say he was/is a good passer :lol::lol: ...No :blink: .

Perhaps now that he isn't busy every Tuesday in Virginia as he recently admitted he may become that good passer the Falcons fans longed for so many years.

He wasn't a bust as far as athleticism goes. If you rate him as exciting to watch then yeah he would be top 10. He's not a good passing QB. That's ridiculous. First off, I can remember every commentator while watching the away games say the key to stopping Vick is forcing him to pass.He only completed around 50% of his passes. That's half and you can't blame that on drops. The Vick won in Lambeau in January statistic is nonsense. Vick completed all of 13 passes for a whopping 117 yards. No that's not a misprint 117. Sounds like Mark Sanchez was in that game.As for being a 3 time Pro Bowler, Vince Young is a 2 time Pro Bowler. Most people have to know it's not a valid measurement of a players production. Even the players say from time to time certain players get voted in by default unless they absolutely bomb.Everybody's top 10 is obviously different and Vick was not a bust in the typical sense of the word but to say he was/is a good passer :lol::lol: ...No :blink: .Perhaps now that he isn't busy every Tuesday in Virginia as he recently admitted he may become that good passer the Falcons fans longed for so many years.

Vick was drafted not only for his passing but his running ability. He delivered on both. On top of that he demonstrated an incredible ability to win games with hand and foot on teams that had dismal supporting casts as evidenced by the 38-28-1 record on six teams that six other QBs went 13-32 on.

Haters that discount his running ability are just, well, haters.

I totally understand that many on this board hated Vick in April 2001 and never will like him. I also know that many who liked Vick changed their minds after the bird, the bottle and the dogs. That's cool, but to say he was a bust is a stretch at best. Dude was one of the best Top 10 Falcon draft picks in the history of the franchise. Trust me.

Edited by FalconFanSince1970

Can you explain to me how the hail you pass for 11,500 yards and 72 TDs when you can't pass?

easy.

you play alot of games with a butt cheeks career 53% passing and an atrocious 52 ints while completing the least amount of passes possible in an 8 year span as a starting rushing QB.

vicks god aweful.

Edited by osiruz

Vick was drafted not only for his passing but his running ability. He delivered on both. On top of that he demonstrated an incredible ability to win games with hand and foot on teams that had dismal supporting casts as evidenced by the 38-28-1 record on six teams that six other QBs went 13-32 on.

Haters that discount his running ability are just, well, flat out haters.

I totally understand that many on this board hated Vick in April 2001 and never will like him. I also know that many who liked Vick changed their minds after the bird, the bottle and the dogs. That's cool, but to say he was a bust is a stretch at best. Dude was one of the best Top 10 Falcon draft picks in the history of the franchise. Trust me.

Only way to call a Vick a bust is to say that he did the least with the most potential. Which is a fair definition of a bust.

Man never learned to read Ds or to improve his passing. He could have been a transcendent star of the game, and he wasn't.

Only way to call a Vick a bust is to say that he did the least with the most potential. Which is a fair definition of a bust.Man never learned to read Ds or to improve his passing. He could have been a transcendent star of the game, and he wasn't.

Falconidae is this really the least? I'm jus askin. Don't jeopardize your outstanding credibility on this board:

-Three time Pro Bowler

easy.you play alot of games with a butt cheeks career 53% passing and an atrocious 52 ints while completing the least amount of passes possible in an 8 year span as a starting rushing QB.vicks god aweful.

Can you consider his passing, running and winning stats? Or is it just pocket passing stats that count? I'm jus askin.

He blew every pocket passing QB away on the same Falcon rosters. Behind shaky Olines, with WRs that couldn't get open and no real RB threat. Stop yer hettin mon.

Only way to call a Vick a bust is to say that he did the least with the most potential. Which is a fair definition of a bust.

Man never learned to read Ds or to improve his passing. He could have been a transcendent star of the game, and he wasn't.

I agree that's the reason so many use the "bust" moniker. Vick came into the league with so much hype and expectation and did so well his first few years that anything less than the HOF and 2-3 Lombardi's was considered a let down. And from a Falcon fan's perspective, it WAS.

But look at it this way. What if Joey Harrington (who was only drafted two slots below Michael Vick and joined a team with a similar history and talent) had done what Michael Vick had done? Winning record as a starter, 3 Pro Bowls, 2 playoff wins. Would HE be considered a bust? I doubt it.

And I ain't saying it's about black and white either. It's about hype, flamboyance and (maybe unrealistic) expectations.