UGA gets commitment #18.

Greenville offensive tackle Kenarious Gates has committed to the University of Georgia. The three star prospect was previously committed to Kentucky, but received an offer last night. According to Coach Williams, the 6-foot-5, 285-pound senior has informed the Kentucky staff of his decision to switch to the Bulldogs.

Do colleges sandbag scholarships for other years to stock pile then. Is that why we only have 19 commitments or what? Whats the deal with only 19 while other schools are in the upper 20's

It's a combination of a small senior class and the fact that we still have several offers out there. We could end up as high as 23-24, though I'm hoping we save some for the crop of instate talent in Georgia for 2011.

We really needed it. I hate doing that to Kentucky, though. But that's what we HAVE to do to compete in big boy football.

i am sure this was discussed with gates a while ago and they knew they had him.. they were waiting out a few other offers.. he is a very good offer and prospect.. i was hoping we would have got him a while ago and glad it worked out now.

Buddy, I hear ya. This isn't a good week. But the Gates pick up makes things seem a little better, at least for me. A need position, a local kid with good upside. Good stuff, IMO.

that frankly was a big concern for me.. i wanted another olineman and another db and i don't care if it was a safety or a cb since jakar can play either position.

Why was the Byrnes guy able to get out? Hamilton actually had a say so in the matter? That is sorta FU

It seems like Hamilton is an FU kinda guy. I think thats one reason they brought in Dooley. I think Dooley is a good coach, but I also think he is someone Hamilton believes he can control.