Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

yesmann

drafting for need, we NEED C.J. Spiller!

15 posts in this topic

I think Spiller would impact this team more than anyone we could draft at 20. This guy looks like the next Chris Johnson, and we shouldn't pass up on that for players that aren't as good just because they are playing positions of need. Spiller would be a game-breaker on offense and an elite return man. Let Norwood walk and scoop up this guy if he falls to us in the first round. If you haven't seen him play chech out the link:

I've been torn between wanting an OT or OLB, but I think this guy would be too good to pass up if he fell to us. Imagine how unstoppable the offense would be on 3rd downs, Roddy and Jenkins split wide, Douglass in the slot, TG at TE, and this guy in the backfield or slot. He's an excellent reciever and is beyond dangerous in space. Many expect him to run under 4.3 at the combine (like Chris Johnson) and I wouldn't be surprised. He's a little smaller than Johnson, but he has more agility and is a better receiver.

If Spiller and, say Weatherspoon, or one of the DEs is on the board at 20, I don't think you can pass this guy up.

I so don't think it is going to happen. Don't be so quick to brand him the next Chris Johnson b/c there is only one Chris Johnson. Just b/c he has a similar size/skill set does not mean he will have the same success. Sure, it is the easiest game to play, this guy reminds me of player x. Falcons have all they need in the offensive backfield when you are talking about high draft picks.

Was Reggie Bush not suppose to be the first "Chris Johnson" in recent year? What about all the screaming Falcons fan did about Norwood getting more touches two and a half years ago? CB, DE, OL, WR and TE all seem to be bigger needs.

I so don't think it is going to happen. Don't be so quick to brand him the next Chris Johnson b/c there is only one Chris Johnson. Just b/c he has a similar size/skill set does not mean he will have the same success. Sure, it is the easiest game to play, this guy reminds me of player x. Falcons have all they need in the offensive backfield when you are talking about high draft picks.

Was Reggie Bush not suppose to be the first "Chris Johnson" in recent year? What about all the screaming Falcons fan did about Norwood getting more touches two and a half years ago? CB, DE, OL, WR and TE all seem to be bigger needs.

He is way faster than Bush and is a better runner. He's got way more agility than Norwood and is a much better reciever. I don't think he's the next Chris Johnson. I see him as being what Reggie Bush was supposed to be.

Flashinator23 likes this

I agree, plus if somebody signs Norwood we could get a 3rd round pick and then trade up for a 2nd and draft a DE/OLB

if somebody signed Norwood, we would not get the comp pick until 2011...and you cannot trade comp. picks anyway...

Falcons have all they need in the offensive backfield when you are talking about high draft picks.

We don't have anything comparable to his skill set. Turner is good, Snelling is good, but neither of them provide what Spiller gives you, which is a home run threat everytime touches the rock. Norwood was supposed to be that guy, but he has little agility, is not a good reciever, and he's always injured. Spiller has way more agility and is a much better receiver than Norwood. He also will help you in the return game, and we could definitely use an elite return man.

Flashinator23 likes this

Unfortunately I don't see him falling to our pick anyway. The Seahawks pick 14th and have signed Alex Gibbs as OLine coach. Spiller would be perfect for that zone blocking scheme and won't make it past 14 imo. But if he's there at 20 you have to take him, LBers can't cover him out of the backfield. Combined with our other weapons, Matt Ryan would have a field day.

Unfortunately I don't see him falling to our pick anyway. The Seahawks pick 14th and have signed Alex Gibbs as OLine coach. Spiller would be perfect for that zone blocking scheme and won't make it past 14 imo. But if he's there at 20 you have to take him, LBers can't cover him out of the backfield. Combined with our other weapons, Matt Ryan would have a field day.

If he times good at the combine there is no possibility of us getting him, if he times so-so at the combine there is an outside chance he falls

Either way I dont see spiller in a falcon uniform,but there are so many RB's that will be available in this draft that can do different things very well

I just dont see how this years draft can be a complete success without the security of a 2nd round pick

I know TD wants one in his back pocket just in case a BPA situation happens(spiller) and he decides to pass on whatever he believes is number one in need, and if he doesnt sign a CB from the FA, it will be CB

On topic, spiller is a step ahead of the rest, I think he has the ability to be a clinton portis type back with more speed

But there are so many others who will have blazing speed and fall because of size, a couple other power runners who fall because of speed

It will be a crime for guys like Best, Dwyer, and Mcknight to be there in the second

I agree, plus if somebody signs Norwood we could get a 3rd round pick and then trade up for a 2nd and draft a DE/OLB

What? Why would we get a 3rd for someone signing Norwood?

Compensation picks would come in for Norwood next year, not this year.

:blink: ... really?

I think Spiller would impact this team more than anyone we could draft at 20. This guy looks like the next Chris Johnson,

He's got way more agility than Norwood and is a much better reciever. I don't think he's the next Chris Johnson.

:huh: that was a quick 27 minute turnaround...

yesmann and SLICK NICK like this

I think Spiller would impact this team more than anyone we could draft at 20. This guy looks like the next Chris Johnson, and we shouldn't pass up on that for players that aren't as good just because they are playing positions of need. Spiller would be a game-breaker on offense and an elite return man. Let Norwood walk and scoop up this guy if he falls to us in the first round. If you haven't seen him play chech out the link:

I've been torn between wanting an OT or OLB, but I think this guy would be too good to pass up if he fell to us. Imagine how unstoppable the offense would be on 3rd downs, Roddy and Jenkins split wide, Douglass in the slot, TG at TE, and this guy in the backfield or slot. He's an excellent reciever and is beyond dangerous in space. Many expect him to run under 4.3 at the combine (like Chris Johnson) and I wouldn't be surprised. He's a little smaller than Johnson, but he has more agility and is a better receiver.

If Spiller and, say Weatherspoon, or one of the DEs is on the board at 20, I don't think you can pass this guy up.

I really like Spiller but I would not get him only because we are to inconsistent along the offensive line. We saw how explosive Turner is when he gets to the second level in 08. The problem is that the Oline did not get he or Snelling or Norwood there this season. I understand that we had a step up in competition even still they failed to meet expectations this season. Having CJ would be no good to us if he is getting gobbled up at the line of scrimmage. Just like having Matt is of no use to us while he is running for his life or on the ground.

If you think it was just an off year and the O-line will bounce back to the 2008 form and be consistent game in and game out sure It could be useful having a guy like spiller especially on underneath routes after Gonzo and Roddy clear space but I think before we get a new gun we need a new shield.

but I think before we get a new gun we need a new shield.

You mean a new vest, no one carries shields into battle any more except swat and crowd control police, and even then sometimes shields dont work

Sometimes vest dont work, sometimes the man with the bigger gun wins, whats the saying "he brought a knife to a gun fight"?

I understand what you are saying, and if we do sacrifice our 1st round pick on an offensive line man we are more than likely fresh out of luck in every other position as far as the talent level drop into the third round

With that said, I do not disagree with drafting an offensive lineman, just not in the first, Give opportunities to Dahl and Clabo for one more year, they are RFA, I doubt anyone matches a good tender, I mean its only the second year with these guys together

We need a second round pick, really bad, that frees us up to draft in your case a Bulaga or an A Davis and still be able to go CB,DE, or OLB in the second round

And all of it(who we draft in the first) really depends on TD and his save my money buy the rookie scheme, and his decision on rather to pay a good FA corner, or draft one, regardless CB is still the number one need