If Dimitroff Could Trade M. Turner For a #1 Pick Leaving Us With 2 - 1st Rounders

Actually, he averaged 4.3 ypc on the season, but averaged 5.9 ypc in the Tampa game.

He also caught more balls in three games than Turner did in all of the '08 season.

The dudes ypc numbers are steadily climbing and he's only going into his 4th season.

While i agree he wouldnt be my ideal 'replacement' for Turner, it's hard to believe you are selling him so short.

I remember some of the exact same comments about the supposed skills of JA32 before he broke out in '98.

@ the Jets 3.7 ypc (and that's against the #1 defense in the NFL)

vs. Buffalo 4.5 ypc

@the Bucs 5.9 ypc

You are right, guys just dont suddenly gain speed and burst.

But they do gain confidence.

And with that confidence comes improvement in all areas.

To put it like TD would: This guys arrow is definitly 'up'.

Excellent posts. These guys are underrating Snelling big time. You could watch the last few games and tell he could cary the load if duty calls. He's also a much better reciever than Turner, and a better blocker as well. He's not as good as Turner, but he is a solid starting caliber RB imo. Put a good line in front of him and he will do damage.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are kidding yourself if you think Snelling would have no chance at being a 1200-1300 yard back. Over a 16 game season, 1200 yards is nothing but 75 yards per game. 1300 yards is only 81 yards a game. With a good line Snelling is more than capable of doing that. And I didn't say Snelling was as good as Turner. Turner can get you 1700, but snelling can get you 1200-1300. That dropoff is definitely worth a first round pick considering RBs slow down around the age of 30.

It's not only about the wear and tear. Players lose a step due to age. When RBs lose that step, it affects them more than it affects other positions, and they look washed up real quick.

Both of these are very solid points. I still would not trade Turner for just a number one but you do make a valid argument. Unlike some others on here. Just for the record though, not all RB's lose a step at age 30. Some players can and have player a long time. Even at RB. Who knows if Turner is one of those guys. I like his chances because of the lack of wear and tear but, tbh, no one really knows. What we do know is he's in his Prime and they didn't go after him for just 2 yrs. He's got a minimum of 2 to 3 yrs left in his prime. Maybe longer. He was part of, if not the beginning, of the rebuilding process so I doubt we would remove him. Not for just a first. It would take more than that to get the talent of Turner away from us.

Both of these are very solid points. I still would not trade Turner for just a number one but you do make a valid argument. Unlike some others on here. Just for the record though, not all RB's lose a step at age 30. Some players can and have player a long time. Even at RB. Who knows if Turner is one of those guys. I like his chances because of the lack of wear and tear but, tbh, no one really knows. What we do know is he's in his Prime and they didn't go after him for just 2 yrs. He's got a minimum of 2 to 3 yrs left in his prime. Maybe longer. He was part of, if not the beginning, of the rebuilding process so I doubt we would remove him. Not for just a first. It would take more than that to get the talent of Turner away from us.

I understand how you feel about Turner. It's a moot point though since no team will trade a high pick for a 28 year old RB. They would rather take their chances on a 2nd/3rd rounder since the performance of the RB depends greatly on the quality of the offesive line. There are rare Barry Sanders type talents that can work around a bad OLine, but those guys are extrememely rare.

But let's say the Seahawks call and offer their 14th pick for Turner, with Spiller still on the board. You have to take that. Spiller and Snelling is not a downgrade from our current situation, when you consider Spiller's recieving ability and kick returning especially, and he might be a star in this league for the next 8 years. Or you might want to draft a OT like Anthony Davis with that pick, you have to take a yound franchise OT over the 28 year old RB..

Turner is good, but 28 year old running backs just aren't as valuable as high first round picks. Especially when you have quality guys to take over for the traded player. This is a situation that will never happen, though.

As far as Turner goes lets not forget about the 370+ carries in 08' it wore on Turner and it showed this yr. and where did all those fumbles come from, he didn't do that in 08'.

Fumbles were a concern but Turner didn't show any effects of the 370 carried last yr. Even if he had 0 carries last yr, the o-line still didn't open up holes for him. The carries had nothing to do with it. He showed burst and speed when the holes were there. If the carries last yr affected him then you wouldn't of seen that. Don't make a mistake of blaming the carries for him getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage because of the o-lines bad play. He was explosive when the o-line started playing better.

the o-line still didn't open up holes for him.

And that's the thing about RBs. Turner was having a very slow start because the line was blocking poorly early in the season. The line blocks better, and the RB does better. If you draft a Anthony Davis with the pick you get from turner, you start him at RT and slide Clabo to RG. The holes will be open for Snelling and his backup to have a successful season, and, just as importantly, Ryan gets plenty of time in the pocket to find the weapons on offense. ****, Davis with one pick and Spiller with the other, and the running game probably improves, while the passing game takes a huge leap forward. I should do that on Madden. Now I just need an Xbox..

Fumbles were a concern but Turner didn't show any effects of the 370 carried last yr. Even if he had 0 carries last yr, the o-line still didn't open up holes for him. The carries had nothing to do with it. He showed burst and speed when the holes were there. If the carries last yr affected him then you wouldn't of seen that. Don't make a mistake of blaming the carries for him getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage because of the o-lines bad play. He was explosive when the o-line started playing better.

Well as far as his carries goes Turner talked about having to go and study film from 08' to study his running plays to adjust what he was doing wrong or missing just before he got hurt when he started running like in 08' , and yes the lines was problem at times as well , mainly at key times .

And that's the thing about RBs. Turner was having a very slow start because the line was blocking poorly early in the season. The line blocks better, and the RB does better. If you draft a Anthony Davis with the pick you get from turner, you start him at RT and slide Clabo to RG. The holes will be open for Snelling and his backup to have a successful season, and, just as importantly, Ryan gets plenty of time in the pocket to find the weapons on offense. ****, Davis with one pick and Spiller with the other, and the running game probably improves, while the passing game takes a huge leap forward. I should do that on Madden. Now I just need an Xbox..

It's really tempting when you start talking about drafting a o-lineman with that pick. Very tempting indeed. We have to fix both lines and the o-line should be the number one priority because we have to protect Ryan and we have to be able to open up holes for whoever the RB be. It's more tempting when we talk o-lineman. I don't like Spiller with the other pick though. I don't like using a first rounder for s situational back. Even TD says he believes that Spiller would only be a change of pace type back. Might fit well with Snelling though.

Well as far as his carries goes Turner talked about having to go and study film from 08' to study his running plays to adjust what he was doing wrong or missing just before he got hurt when he started running like in 08' , and yes the lines was problem at times as well , mainly at key times .

He said that because he was getting frustrated. The o-line also said after watching film that they were having problems making all there blocks. They said they were close but then hey'd miss one block and it would kill the play. They said they were close on several plays but just had break downs. Believe me, it was more the o-line than Turner missing anything. You can't miss something when you are getting hit at or behind the LOS like he was. I know I keep saying that but it's true, he was. They were all watching film from last yr to see what was wrong. Not just Turner.

Oh, and the defenses got easier when he started getting it going as well. Something you might not of noticed but our struggles came against 3-4 defenses. Those defenses gave us problems last yr as well. Go check out the ones we faced like SD. Not sure what it is but our o-line struggles to block that scheme. They need to figure it out.

Edited by Ghost Rider

He said that because he was getting frustrated. The o-line also said after watching film that they were having problems making all there blocks. They said they were close but then hey'd miss one block and it would kill the play. They said they were close on several plays but just had break downs. Believe me, it was more the o-line than Turner missing anything. You can't miss something when you are getting hit at or behind the LOS like he was. I know I keep saying that but it's true, he was. They were all watching film from last yr to see what was wrong. Not just Turner.

yes sir , how true you are.

It's really tempting when you start talking about drafting a o-lineman with that pick. Very tempting indeed. We have to fix both lines and the o-line should be the number one priority because we have to protect Ryan and we have to be able to open up holes for whoever the RB be. It's more tempting when we talk o-lineman. I don't like Spiller with the other pick though. I don't like using a first rounder for s situational back. Even TD says he believes that Spiller would only be a change of pace type back. Might fit well with Snelling though.

Welcome to the dark side. Davis with the first pick, either a DE or OLB with the 19th pick, and a speedy RB in the third to backup Snelling if you don't like Spiller as much as I do. You can't say that basically trading Turner for a stud OT like Davis doesn't make the team better, especially long term. But again, this is all fantasy.

Ghost if you was to trade Turner for say Seatle's 6th pick , how would you use it , trade down , how many times , and what players would you pick with these moves ? Just curious .

The 14th would be more realistic. I think it would be best to keep the 14th to draft a premier OT. We could use the 19th if we wanted to trade down.

This is not as far fetched of an idea as some of you may imagine , this could work out to be our trade to put us over the top , you could say trade him for a high pic say to Kansas City then trade down 2 times and still pic up high position players of need in the first 2 rds and still have 4 more rds (with comps) of pics to strengthen our roster or we could trade some of them for pics for next yr. And Turner is a great back , but in doing this trade we could get every type of player we need if played right , and allot of people are afraid of the unknown, period. And we don't know what's going to happen to Turner on the field next yr as well as anyone we draft . And I like Turner , and one day he will leave just as everyone in the end does ,that's the nature of the business. Remember the Hershel Walker trade he was still producing allot of yrs and allot of fans didn't like it at the time. But we have a great GM that is a great scout knowing how to pic players that's something we have never had before , and if TD was to pull this off then he would have a plan of attack in the draft , and he has said all options are being evaluated .

Well KC wouldnt do that deal....Pioli is in KC in case you forgot. The whole idea that we could get a first rounder for Turner maybe a tough sell to begin with. Maybe but Im not convinced of it. I dont think Snelling is a #1 running back, hes a great #2. Maybe in 2 years you look to trade Turner but right now I think its a bad idea. I could see them trading Bab's but what would you get for a guy in legal limbo? Its always worth looking at but I dont see this happening.

I'd definately consider it if I could get around a mid round first rounder, and maybe a fifth rounder. I really don't think people understand just how dime a dozen rb's are. Running back may be the easiest position to draft for, finding a kicker and punter is harder, the only easier position to find might be fullback. Jamaal Charles if not for sitting around half the season behind Larry Johnson's sorry ***, was on track to rush for close to 2,000 yards and he was a third rounder I beleive, Ray rice is a great back and he was a late second. The *only* back right now I believe is too special to trade is Peterson, besides him anyone is up for consideration.

Edited by jlaw 1500

Well KC wouldnt do that deal....Pioli is in KC in case you forgot. The whole idea that we could get a first rounder for Turner maybe a tough sell to begin with. Maybe but Im not convinced of it. I dont think Snelling is a #1 running back, hes a great #2. Maybe in 2 years you look to trade Turner but right now I think its a bad idea. I could see them trading Bab's but what would you get for a guy in legal limbo? Its always worth looking at but I dont see this happening.

Why would we trade our only reliable DT?

Don't get me wrong, I love Snelling and Norwood, BUT.... neither are the game changer that Turner is. Norwood has proven over the last couple season that he is not an everydown back, and Snelling has shown he can carry the load, and break tackles but lacks breakaway speed. It would take multiple first round picks to even think about trading him away. I hope we get a STUD LB, CB, or RT in the draft and keep all three of our stellar RB's.

Go Falcons 2010!

The *only* back right now I believe is too special to trade is Peterson, besides him anyone is up for consideration.

You can add Chris Johnson to that list. I think he's better than Turner. A 2nd year back going for 2k, that's crazy. Peterson hasn't done that and probably never will, even though his OLine is better than Johnson's.

Ghost if you was to trade Turner for say Seatle's 6th pick , how would you use it , trade down , how many times , and what players would you pick with these moves ? Just curious .

Wow. If I got the 6th over all pick. Man, it would be tempting to trade down to get more picks but it also would be tempting to stay right up there. Maybe even trade down just a few spots. I would be looking at maybe OT Anthony Davis, OT Russell, Okung, MLB (but move to outside) Rolando McClain, or maybe even hometown product Derrick Morgan. So many options if we got that pick and I'd take it for Turner. That is a high pick and creates so many possibilities. You can get one of the players I mentioned or even Joe Haden and move down a few spots getting more picks while doing it. If we are talking that high a pick I'm negotiating the deal right now. lol.

Welcome to the dark side. Davis with the first pick, either a DE or OLB with the 19th pick, and a speedy RB in the third to backup Snelling if you don't like Spiller as much as I do. You can't say that basically trading Turner for a stud OT like Davis doesn't make the team better, especially long term. But again, this is all fantasy.

Might be fantasy but for a OT, it makes it worth it. I have been 100% against trading Turner but if you get in a position to take a high OT then you have to look into it. We still might get us a OT at 19th/20th.

Edited by Ghost Rider

You can add Chris Johnson to that list. I think he's better than Turner. A 2nd year back going for 2k, that's crazy. Peterson hasn't done that and probably never will, even though his OLine is better than Johnson's.

True, I forgot about him. It makes it that much crazier that people that people were talking about Darren Mcfadden in that draft. I liked Kevin Smith, Chris Johnson, and Matt Forte in that order lol.

Edited by jlaw 1500