Defensive Pass Rankings-Emmitt Thomas Years

The guy is a Hall of Famer, long time Falcon staffer, took over after Quittrino, and seems like a guy that everybody likes. I believe the Falcons of old would just sit on their hands until forced to make a decision but I do not believe the new regime settles for second best.

I know defensive passing yards only tells part of the story but here are the rankings from 2002 to 2009:

'09--28th

'08--21st (Playoff appearance)

'07--23rd

'06--29th

'05--14th

'04--22nd (Playoff appearance)

'03--22nd

'02--16th (Playoff appearance)

Yes, we have twice barely cracked the top half in 8 years.

While there are loads of excuses (unskilled players, no pass rush, communists) I see a lack of improvement or even steady play (well, I guess we have been pretty steady at being mediocre) from the secondary, pass rush or not. (Then there is the whole argument that we are unable to blitz because our secondary can't handle it, and our secondary can't handle anything because we have no pass rush). You would think that by accident we would have done better than this. Someone has to answer for this consistent mediocrity, and I guess that person is Emmitt Thomas.

I wonder who fills in? Suppose we go in house or bring in an outsider?

Edited by sporkdevil

I loved Emmitt as far as the knowledge he brings to the table, but the numbers don't lie. It was time for a change. He seemed to be pretty popular with the players however, maybe keep him as a consultant if he doesn't leave?

Not gonna happen. One article theorized that he didn't retire (as opposed to being fired, or whatever this is) because he wanted to continue to work in football. He will probably get some sort of job elsewhere.

I did by Yards per game ranking

'09--28th --- 28 Sacks

'08--21st --- 34 Sacks

'07--23rd --- 25 Sacks

'06--29th --- 37 Sacks

'05--14th --- 37 Sacks

'04--22nd (Playoff appearance)--- 48 Sacks

'03--32nd --- 36 Sacks

'02--16th (Playoff appearance)--- Tied for 4th with 47 Sacks

Look 03 last in the league yards per game.

Edited by bighurt

Here is a side by side comparison of passing yards per game and number sacks ranking. Pass rush does affect the secondary but when 6 out of 8 years the defense ranks in the lower half I would think it would affect the passing yards to some degree.

YR PYPG SACKS

'09 28th 26th

'08 21st 11th (Playoff appearance)

'07 23rd 30th

'06 29th 14th

'05 14th 14th

'04 22nd 1st (Playoff appearance)

'03 22nd 13th

'02 16th 4th(Playoff appearance)

The guy is a Hall of Famer, long time Falcon staffer, took over after Quittrino, and seems like a guy that everybody likes. I believe the Falcons of old would just sit on their hands until forced to make a decision but I do not believe the new regime settles for second best.I know defensive passing yards only tells part of the story but here are the rankings from 2002 to 2009:'09--28th'08--21st (Playoff appearance)'07--23rd'06--29th'05--14th'04--22nd (Playoff appearance)'03--22nd'02--16th (Playoff appearance)

Aren't these Wade Phillips, Ed Zonatell, Zimmer and BVG's defensive pass rankings? I'm jus askin bro. There are an awful lot of pass yards against LBs in those numbers. Also an inordinate amount of extended plays due to lack of pass rush.

Emmitt's DBs were Toast Williams, Kevin Mathis, Gerald McBurrows, Corey Hall, DHall, Brent Grimes, Tod McBride, Jason Webster, Allen Rossum, Crisp Houston, Dominique Foxworth, Trye Hill, Brian Williams, Chris Owens, Ashley Ambrose, Von Hutchins, Ray Buchanan, Lawyer Milloy, Bryan Scott and Juran Bolden.

That's a lot of rookies, undrafted players, projects and cast offs in their twilight years. DHall was the only legitimate DB he ever had. Seems like we need to work on the player acquisition aspect of it. TD has been good overall but has struggled with the corner position. He waited til the week before the season started to try to fix the corners, in two straight years.

I wonder if Emmitt had anything to do with the good play of Grimes and Owens in the last few games.

You don't last through four regimes if you can't coach. Trust me.

Aren't these Wade Phillips, Ed Zonatell, Zimmer and BVG's defensive pass rankings? I'm jus askin bro. There are an awful lot of pass yards against LBs in those numbers. Also an inordinate amount of extended plays due to lack of pass rush.

Emmitt's DBs were Toast Williams, Kevin Mathis, Gerald McBurrows, Corey Hall, DHall, Brent Grimes, Tod McBride, Jason Webster, Allen Rossum, Crisp Houston, Dominique Foxworth, Trye Hill, Brian Williams, Chris Owens, Ashley Ambrose, Von Hutchins, Ray Buchanan, Lawyer Milloy, Bryan Scott and Juran Bolden.

That's a lot of rookies, undrafted players, projects and cast offs in their twilight years. DHall was the only legitimate DB he ever had. Seems like we need to work on the player acquisition aspect of it. TD has been good overall but has struggled with the corner position. He waited til the week before the season started to try to fix the corners, in two straight years.

I wonder if Emmitt had anything to do with the good play of Grimes and Owens in the last few games.

You don't last through four regimes if you can't coach. Trust me.

We can go into speculation all day on whether it was the DC or the secondary coach or talk about talented players vs players who never developed but that would be never ending speculation.

I am in no way saying it is 100% Thomas' fault but you have to step back from the stats, the DC's, the players, etc. and ask when is the last time the secondary was considered in the top 10? All I know is something has needed to change for a long time.

This may be nothing more than his contract ended today so they simply gave him the courtesy to shop around. The Falcons could have their sights set on a new DC who is currently in the playoffs before they tell BVG to hit the road. The new DC could very well say they want Thomas back. If they give Thomas a new contract right now without presumably knowing the future DC's wishes they would have to pay him out the rest of his contract if that is how it is written.

Look at Mike Smith as Jags DC from 2003-2007

07 15th Pass 9th Sacks

06 10th Pass 15th Sacks

05 7th Pass 3rd Sacks

04 16th Pass t-17th Sacks

03 18th Pass 29th Sacks

From 2003–2007, Smith served as the Defensive Coordinator for the Jaguars and led a defensive unit which ranked fourth in overall defense (296.6), third in offensive points allowed (16.1) and fifth in rushing defense (99.3) from 2003–2006. In his last season in Jacksonville in 2007, the Jaguars rushing defense continued that trend as the unit ranked sixth in the AFC, holding opponents to 100.3 yards per game. The Jaguars defense under Smith’s direction also finished 12th in the NFL in total defense in ‘07.

In 2006, Jacksonville ranked second in the League in total defense (283.6), which was the highest mark for the franchise in its history. The Jaguars defense also contributed to a team-record 20 interceptions and allowed an NFL-low 11 points per game on their home turf

Improved from his first year, in the top 10, 2 years in a row.

We can win a Superbowl with numbers like that.

Edited by bighurt

The guy is a Hall of Famer, long time Falcon staffer, took over after Quittrino, and seems like a guy that everybody likes. I believe the Falcons of old would just sit on their hands until forced to make a decision but I do not believe the new regime settles for second best.

I know defensive passing yards only tells part of the story but here are the rankings from 2002 to 2009:

'09--28th

'08--21st (Playoff appearance)

'07--23rd

'06--29th

'05--14th

'04--22nd (Playoff appearance)

'03--22nd

'02--16th (Playoff appearance)

Phatty, Any reduction in the defensive passing yards stats is probably due to opposing teams running all over us.

Look at Jacksonville Post Mike Smith. Makes you wonder if BVG is the problem, but you can see this defense getting to were Smith wants it. With 10th rank run D this year, and pass defense getting better at the end of the year.

2008-2009 Jags stats

08-09

YR PASS SCKS

09 27th 32nd

08 24th 20th

Yea, I do think there will be other places that would love to have him on their staff.

I heard the steelers have a need for a hot dog vendor.

Seriously - who the **** would want a DB coach whose secondary was in the bottom half of the league every year? He'd be best to search the college ranks for a new gig.

Phatty, Any reduction in the defensive passing yards stats is probably due to opposing teams running all over us.

On a game by game basis I would agree with that but when comparing the season overall with the rest of the league the run defense fluctuates dramatically while the pass defense stays in the bottom third for the most part. I added rush defense yards per game rankings.

YR PYPG SACKS RUSH

'09 28th 26th 10th

'08 21st 11th 25th (Playoff appearance)

'07 23rd 30th 26th

'06 29th 14th 9th

'05 14th 14th 26th

'04 22nd 1st 8th (Playoff appearance)

'03 22nd 13th 29th

'02 16th 4th 23rd (Playoff appearance)