I didn't take time to read the article, but why would he NOT want to continue to work with Matt Ryan? Kids gonna be a stud, he could take some credit for that.

because offensive coordinator would be a significant promotion and a lot more money. the same reason most people change jobs.

Edited by moe szyslak

I didn't take time to read the article, but why would he NOT want to continue to work with Matt Ryan? Kids gonna be a stud, he could take some credit for that.

Cause he worked with Schaub in college, and was probably one of the main reasons we drafted him. Sounds like a good reason.

I really hope not. I think he has been a very good QB coordinator, and possible OC. Not sure who we would get to fill the position if he went to Texas.

I hope Smith has a list of possible replacements. One of those guys could be Ryan's HC from BC. That guy was fired by TB this year.

Jagz is an offensive line coach at heart, I think, not a QB coach. But I suppose it's not impossible, guys do sometimes move around.

Musgrave was more important to Vick's development than Ryan's.

Which isn't to say he isn't important -- he's a solid QB coach. The point is, Ryan's mechanics and fundamentals, while needing work (particularly footwork this season), are good enough that he doesn't need to be constantly coached up. He's just more of a natural passer, so I don't think Musgrave's departure if it happens will be any more than a speedbump in his development.

Having said that, I hope he stays.

If Musgrave goes, it makes it that much more important to keep Redman. I don't think Musgrave is vital to Ryan's success, but he is definately a great QB coach. Smitty has one of the best staffs in the league, I'm sure the job of working with Smitty and coaching Ryan is attractive. We'll be ok no matter the outcome.

Jagz is an offensive line coach at heart, I think, not a QB coach. But I suppose it's not impossible, guys do sometimes move around.

That might be a possible answer, although I'm not sure how much credit Jags should get for Ryan's success (He definitely deserves credit for changing BC's style from conservative to aggressive playcalling). Steve Logan was the offensive coordinator that year and he was known for his pass-heavy offense.

Also, Jags was fired by the Bucs. I'm not sure how much weight that carries, but something must have been wrong with his philosophy.

In any case, there's no way the falcons would hire Jags before Weis. There's no argument, Weis is a much better OC.

Musgrave was more important to Vick's development than Ryan's.

Which isn't to say he isn't important -- he's a solid QB coach. The point is, Ryan's mechanics and fundamentals, while needing work (particularly footwork this season), are good enough that he doesn't need to be constantly coached up. He's just more of a natural passer, so I don't think Musgrave's departure if it happens will be any more than a speedbump in his development.

Having said that, I hope he stays.

Some good points Dave.

I want the Falcons to have the best cadre of coaches in the NFL--coaches that will maximize the performance of each player and enhance our chances of winning football games. TD and Smitty may or may not be able to offer Musgrave (or another Falcons coach) the football opportunity/promotion or financial incentive to remain with the team if the coach is approached with a great offer from another team.

While I do believe that stability in coaching philosophy, methodology, and personality is important to maintain continuity within 'the process', it is equally important to recognize the reality that your good quality coaches are always on the radar screen of other NFL teams, and probably some college teams. I believe that TD and Smitty keep a list of coaching candidates that they monitor throughout the season so that they can be reasonably prepared in the event that one or more of the staff is offered an opportunity with another team.

It's the same dilemma we face as leaders and managers in our work environments: Our best staff/associates are always the people being courted by another department or company, because they have demonstrated the best results, have higher upside and potential. You might be able to slow the turnover by offering promotions if they are available, or by an increase in pay/benefits; however, these tend to only slow the turnover rate--some of your best people will always have aspirations you can't meet in a timetable that will satisfy their desire to advance.