6'3 230lbs LB Stephen Nicholas

Proday and Combine Results

40 Yrd Dash: 4.64 (south florida coach said he has ran in the 4.5 plenty of times)

225 Lb. Bench Reps: 29

Vertical Jump: 33 1/2

Broad Jump: 09'02"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.45

3-Cone Drill: 7.29

link

In 50 games at South Florida, Nicholas started 45 times. He recorded 326 tackles (212 solos) with 20 sacks for minus-137 yards, 53½ stops for losses of 217 yards and 26 quarterback pressures. He caused three fumbles and recovered two others while also blocking one kick. He had 15 pass deflections and a pair of interceptions.

When Nicholas was a backup for us his first 2 seasons, He always flashed the ability to be a good LB in the NFL..This year i feel like he has shown that he can become a good starting LB...The guy is a talented LB.... He will fully show his impact play ability when we play a more aggressive Defense...

I feel like for a guy that has produced 71 tackles,3 sacks, and 1 forced fumbles in his first year starting... He is not getting his due props on here..Lets remember... The man has played in 2 Defensive schemes in 3 years... Stephen Nicholas is only 26 years old...He will continue to get better.

When Nicholas was a backup for us his first 2 seasons, He always flashed the ability to be a good LB in the NFL..This year i feel like he has shown that he can become a good starting LB...The guy is a talented LB.... He will fully show his impact play ability when we play a more aggressive Defense...

I feel like for a guy that has produced 71 tackles,3 sacks, and 1 forced fumbles in his first year starting... He is not getting his due props on here.... Stephen Nicholas is only 26 years old...He will continue to get better.

I've felt at times he's played better than Lofton. They should both continue to grow and be stellar backers. It's Peterson that concerns me of the group. He started strong, but at this point, is no better than what Brooking was in my opinion. Replacing Peterson is a priority.

I've felt at times he's played better than Lofton. They should both continue to grow and be stellar backers. It's Peterson that concerns me of the group. He started strong, but at this point, is no better than what Brooking was in my opinion. Replacing Peterson is a priority.

I don't think the guy is like Brooking but i do agree that he started off strong then slowed down... He is not on Brooking level tho.

Can we stop the Mike Pete bashing, please!? :angry:

Sure he had his low moments, but unlike 3&16, he makes plays, game changing plays. Mike can really bring DA WOOD, make a sack, intercept the pass.

With that said I hope we don't go shopping for LBs in FA or early in the draft.

Edited by wilco

That's why I have been saying for awhile now draft Weatherspoon and we would no have to worry about the LB core for another 5-6 years! I don't know if anyone remembers but the Pats LB core was one of the reason they were so good on defense for so long. (Bruschi, Izzo, Vrabel and Johnson)

Nicholas has become a good starting LB. He's a very well rounded player. He can plug his gap, cover TEs and RBs, and can rush the passer when required.

He's also a good character guy. He should be here for a while.

Peterson is fine, and he's an important leader. Yes, we want to avoid having him matched up one-on-one in the flats vs Reggie Bush, but you can say that about a lot of LBs. He doesn't miss tackles, and does make impact plays. We need a young guy to develop to replace him after next year (although maybe Adkins can be that guy), but at the moment we have other, more important holes to fill. I could see using a 4th rounder on a LB, maybe a 3rd if someone really good is there (e.g., Curran), but definitely not a 1st rounder or a high priced free agent.

Sure he had his low moments, but unlike 3&16, he makes plays, game changing plays. Mike can really bring DA WOOD, make a sack, intercept the pass.

Unfortunately, it's that time of the year we start talking personnel. It's not bashing. This teams needs work from looking at Abe's replacement, Peterson's replacement, and Houston's replacement. These are 3 big needs on defense, and now is when we get to talk about it.

Unfortunately, it's that time of the year we start talking personnel. It's not bashing. This teams needs work from looking at Abe's replacement, Peterson's replacement, and Houston's replacement. These are 3 big needs on defense, and now is when we get to talk about it.

OK, got it! Pete is not getting any younger but but I think he made some nice plays behind a crappy D-line. The same goes for the rest of our backers.

Abraham, sadly has been hiding in his little hole the whole year. :angry:

Edited by wilco

OK, got it! Pete is not getting any younger but but I think he made some nice plays behind a crappy D-line. The same goes for the rest of our backers.

Abraham, sadly has been hiding in his little hole the whole year. :angry:

He started the year stellar, but.. his situation for next year is eerily similar to that of Brooking for 2008. I just don't want to get things working for us next year only for him to realize he doesn't have it, and ultimately prove to be beyond a liability. I'd feel more comfortable if they looked for a replacement.

I feel like for a guy that has produced 71 tackles,3 sacks, and 1 forced fumbles in his first year starting... He is not getting his due props on here..Lets remember... The man has played in 2 Defensive schemes in 3 years... Stephen Nicholas is only 26 years old...He will continue to get better.

Absolutely. I love what he has shown this year. He has several TFL as well, plus he is showing me that he can actually cover. I'm really excited to see what he turns into. Other than you and FFS1970 though, I havent seen much praise for him.

Good post; I agree completely. He not only makes plays, but plays his assignment well. In other words, he isn't getting out of position because he thinks he might make a play (easy for LBs to do), but does what he is supposed to and makes the defense better as a whole.

Peterson is 33. In NFL and Linebacker terms that is VERY old. With age comes a loss of speed and injuries. I love what he brought this year, but the Falcons MUST have a solid back-up ready. BEST case scenario he plays 2 more years. Odds are that won't happen.

Nicholas has become a good starting LB. He's a very well rounded player. He can plug his gap, cover TEs and RBs, and can rush the passer when required.

He's also a good character guy. He should be here for a while.

Peterson is fine, and he's an important leader. Yes, we want to avoid having him matched up one-on-one in the flats vs Reggie Bush, but you can say that about a lot of LBs. He doesn't miss tackles, and does make impact plays. We need a young guy to develop to replace him after next year (although maybe Adkins can be that guy), but at the moment we have other, more important holes to fill. I could see using a 4th rounder on a LB, maybe a 3rd if someone really good is there (e.g., Curran), but definitely not a 1st rounder or a high priced free agent.

On point man, especially hoping that Adkins can be the replacement for Peterson, that is my hope as well. I like Nicholas and i think he is getting better as the season progresses. Peterson has shown his age at times, but he is still not a liability. I wouldnt mind seeing Nicholas in on passing downs next year instead of Peterson though.

I think we all know that Peterson's time is limited, but I believe there's one more good year in him, possibly even two depending on if we can get the CB and DE positions straightened out. I think his intensity and leadership is important. I love Lofton and think he's getting better and better. I also think that Nicholas has had a nice year and hope he continues to improve.

He deserves a great year and some praise. Hopefully all of you remember what he was going through either last year or the year before with his son. He had to have a heart transplant. I know Stephen has it in his mind to go out and play his hardest to make his son proud of him. I like Nicholas and love what he brings to the table and he should only get better next year. Way to go young man!

I think we all know that Peterson's time is limited, but I believe there's one more good year in him, possibly even two depending on if we can get the CB and DE positions straightened out. I think his intensity and leadership is important. I love Lofton and think he's getting better and better. I also think that Nicholas has had a nice year and hope he continues to improve.

Agree on all points. MP was never viewed as more that a two-year place holder, but I think he's provided everything expected of him on the field. What goes unseen by most fans is what he brings to practice and the locker room. His intensity is a big part of what fuels the defense, and frequently has the whole unit playing above their physical abilities.