Was I the only one hoping for a loss

I for one care a whole lot more about getting a good draft pick than I care about breaking the back to back winning seasons "curse." A high draft pick sets us up for future success more than meaningless wins in a season where we can't make the playoffs anyway. 6-10 would have gotten us in the top ten in the draft. 9-7 would get us the 20th pick or so. There is a significant talent gap between 10 and 20 in the draft. 20 means we are out of the running for guys like CB Joe Haden, OT Trent Williams, and DE Derrick Morgan. There is no elite talent at positions of need for us at 20.

Before anyone numbnuts come with the predictable "any real fan will want to win" comment, please remeber that real fans want the best for their team. I think there is no significance in going 9-7 rather than going 6-10. Hopefully we lose these last two and at least get a top 15 pick. Worse case scenarion (which I believe will happen) is we go 8-8, don't break the curse, and don't get a high pick.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Threads like these make me sick!

We are not going to the playoffs anyway. What is better:

(a) No playoffs and a top ten draft pick

or

(B ) No playoffs and the 20th pick in the draft

Gee, call me crazy, but I think we'd be a better team next season with the first option. The record from this year will have no effect on the team next year. A high draft pick would make us better.

Edited by Lucifer

or

Gee, call me crazy, but I think we'd be a better team next season with the first option. The record from this year will have no effect on the team next year. A high draft pick would make us better.

Your CRAZY. :P

Dear Lucifer...........or may I call you Satan ?? LOL

I happen to agree with you on this.

All the rah-rah high school excitement about a "winning season" (whatever value that has) will be L O N G forgotten come April; draft time.

This team DESPERATELY needs QUALITY draft picks............and we gave up our No.2 pick for Gonzalez, making our draft position even more crucial.

I'll take a quality top pick any day. Cheerleaders buy you zip !!

Why lose games to gain draft positions when you have the option to trade up either through a trade or to a team looking to move down? I've never understood that logic...

Trade up? You have to give something to get something. We don't have tha ammo to go from 20 to 10 without trading one of our best players. We don't have a second round pick. The talent around 10 in this draft is very good, close to what's at the top of the draft. The players around 20 aren't nealry as good. We could have gotten the best CB in the draft that would be our best CB day one. But instead we will have meaningless wins.

You are on your own dude. I can't understand why people want to lose when a good GM can make a good pick wherever we draft from. Just a backward mentality I guess.

If a good GM can get a good player at 20, imagine what they could do at 10. The more talented players generally get drafted first. A 9-7 season this year does NOTHING for us next year. An elite prospect like Haden certainly would. Or would you like another solid/marginal talent like Jerry?

If a good GM can get a good player at 20, imagine what they could do at 10. The more talented players generally get drafted first. A 9-7 season this year does NOTHING for us next year. An elite prospect like Haden certainly would. Or would you like another solid/marginal talent like Jerry?

The draft is fun to watch, but it's just a crap shoot. How many UDFA's are in the HOF? How many late round picks end up pro bowlers? And on the other side of the spectrum, I leave you with 2 words:

Jamarcus Russell

All the rah-rah high school excitement about a "winning season" (whatever value that has) will be L O N G forgotten come April; draft time.

This team DESPERATELY needs QUALITY draft picks............and we gave up our No.2 pick for Gonzalez, making our draft position even more crucial.

Having said the above, I'm well aware that winning breeds a winning culture, the most valuable thing a franchise can hope for. The ONLY time I would be in favor of losing is when all playoff hopes are gone............no, going 0-16 to gain the top pick is beyond idiotic as that writer knows.

Winning feeds your fan base also, something the Falcons still need.

Still................we NEED quality upgrades..............many.

I'm not going to slam you for your opinion. It's just as valuable as anyone else's.....

I will say this though. I believe with a still-relatively new regime in place and many young players on both sides of the ball it's important to establish a culture of winning with this organization.

If these young guys can be the ones who were instrumental in putting back-to-back winning seasons together then I do think there will be a carryover from that achievement.

Wins are always important in professional sports. There are people's jobs on the line....

Thank you for using your mind and not your emotions. Any intelligent fan has to ask what makes us a better team next year and beyond. This season is OVER. No playoffs. A high draft pick gives us a much better chance of drafting a stud. 9-7 won't matter come draft time.

Having said the above, I'm well aware that winning breeds a winning culture, the most valuable thing a franchise can hope for. The ONLY time I would be in favor of losing is when all playoff hopes are gone............no, going 0-16 to gain the top pick is beyond idiotic as that writer knows.

Winning feeds your fan base also, something the Falcons still need.

Still................we NEED quality upgrades..............many.

This is a reasonable stance to take, and an opinion I respect. If one feels that 9-7 means a winning culture that will somehow spread to next season and be more significant than a higher draft pick, then fine. I don't agree with the sentiment however. I mean, the saints went from 8-8 last year to nearly perfect this season. I think talent wins games, not past seasons.

or

If I'm not mistaken we drafted P. Jerry at #20? He's a stud and as long as he can stay healthy THAT was a quality draft pick.

As far as I'm concerned the WHOLE first 3 rounds of the NFL draft are chalk full of great (difference maker) players....not just the top 10.

Don't believe all the hype dude.

;)

An elite prospect like Haden certainly would. Or would you like another solid/marginal talent like Jerry?

Haden might not be all that when he gets to the next level or he might get hurt like Peria Jerry. I think Jerry was a great pick when we chose him and he will be a great player for us next year. Just because a player gets hurt is no sign to discount what he can do overall. I pulled for us drafting him last year because I figured he would be there when we picked and did not want us to drop games last year because I was enamored with a player who was going to be gone by the time we picked.

Winning is contagious. That alone is reason to break the streak. I would never want anyone on the team that didn't want to win... player, coach or waterboy.

People on here complain because the stands aren't full, but why spend the money to watch a team that isn't trying to win? I say hit em hard, hit em often and play like you'll never play again.