Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rev_Hal

I think I have an idea that will greatly improve these boards

79 posts in this topic

I just wonder if anyone would really post there. Pure Football was created to get higher qualitry discussions, but traffic is so low there that all discussions end up back here. TATF and ABF are the only forums that get seriouls traffic year round.

That's mainly because entry into Pure Football is pretty tough to get... I've asked a few dozen times myself. :(

I just wonder if anyone would really post there. Pure Football was created to get higher qualitry discussions, but traffic is so low there that all discussions end up back here. TATF and ABF are the only forums that get seriouls traffic year round.

Hard to say. The Bengals smack forum only carries about 20% of the traffic their main forum carries. But the percentage of trolls/insulters/idiots on their main forum is far lower than ours.

Hard to say. The Bengals smack forum only carries about 20% of the traffic their main forum carries. But the percentage of trolls/insulters/idiots on their main forum is far lower than ours.

95% of the trolls we have here are due to 1 subject, so that is a little tougher to deal with in general.

It will not happen because the decision makers have made the decision that it won't happen. Don't shoot the messenger! laugh.gif

As a matter of interest, how much time do the decision makes spend on this forum, seeing what happens on a daily basis?

I also wonder if there would be merit in havign a single thread for people to vent after each game, although I'm not sure how many people would use it - as people seem to prefer to start theirown threads.

Gotta check that out.

The friction between the "realists" and the "positive" posters is great for the board. It allows the "casual" viewers the opportunity to see both sides of the coin. Just my opinion.

Just rename Rival Central to the Smack Forum. I go onto other message boards and use the Smack for that purpose or the regular for football talk. Most people actually adhere to it.

Also on the other point I mentioned early. Does anyone think it would actually help to rate certain posts so that the good ones actually stay on the top and bump down the ridiculous ones?

It might get boring. I enjoy most of the talk - even the ridiculous for the most part. Only when someone gets out of control do I put them on ignore - then I only see that cute little message about them being on ignore.

I like it the way it is - EXCEPT the day or two after a loss - then it's incredibly outrageous.

However - it's kind of neat seeing other perspectives on the same player, play, coach or fan.

It's an interesting thought. I tend to think that some of these people would get bored only arguing with people that agree with them. (?!) A Vick lovers forum would be hilarious.

Also on the other point I mentioned early. Does anyone think it would actually help to rate certain posts so that the good ones actually stay on the top and bump down the ridiculous ones?

That's an interesting concept, phatty. Have you seen that in action...you think it would work on these boards?

Rev,

You also mentioned you would look into having the THREADS of ignored users hidden, instead of just their posts. Any luck on that?

I know that would prevent me from personally getting suckered in to a troll post. If I don't see it, I'm not responding, and that's just one less poster bumping an Ookie thread. I'm sure there are others out there like me that instead of contributing to a vick75 thread, we would rather just not see it and I think that would help clean up the boards quite a bit.

That's an interesting concept, phatty. Have you seen that in action...you think it would work on these boards?

Rev,

You also mentioned you would look into having the THREADS of ignored users hidden, instead of just their posts. Any luck on that?

I know that would prevent me from personally getting suckered in to a troll post. If I don't see it, I'm not responding, and that's just one less poster bumping an Ookie thread. I'm sure there are others out there like me that instead of contributing to a vick75 thread, we would rather just not see it and I think that would help clean up the boards quite a bit.

If nothing else changed I would love for an entire post from someone I put on ignore to be hidden. I admit my weakness for bumping stupid posts. I was born with the incurable smart azz disease.

I have a better idea. Why not hire more mods to ban the ridiculously high number of trolls and take away this new reputation system.

Is that really you superman? :blink:

I think I have an idea that will greatly improve these boards

You mean other than having the moderation team doing their job instead of only banning people that call them out?

I hope everyone is having a happy holiday season. I was thinking about what we could do to improve the experience for fans of the AFMB, and I have an idea.

I think we need to take Talk About The Falcons and break it up into 3 seaparate groups. These groups are:

1. ***** about the Falcons - This will give a place for all of the people who want to constantly thrash their supposedly favorite team. It will let them all co-miserate together and leave the rest of us alone. It will be Hater Heaven!

2. "Realist" Talk About the Falcons - There is a group here who call themselves "realists". They are honestly much more intelligent that the folks in category 1, they have a good understanding of football, and are willing to discuss issues with the team. But these folks think that Criticism is a spiritual gift from The Lord above, and 99.999999% of what they post is negative. It is not wrong or unintelligent, but frequency of positive posts from this group is as often as a win by the Lions - basically 0-1 each year. If they have their own forum, they can talk to the people they want to talk to.

3. The "I Want To Focus On the Positives" of the Falcons - This is the group that wants to talk about the issues with the team, but still believe in the Falcons and the progress we are making. This is the group that will stand by and support their team no matter what, and will always cheer for a win.

Just a thought..... wink.gif

Right, because you can force people to only post in these areas? How's Anything But Logic and Pure Football working out?

:lol:

Nice one.

Thanks. I think it says a lot that the moderation team fails to realize that they are ultimately the problem here. Other message boards have problems with trolls, but their moderation teams act fast and ban obvious trolls.

Here's a huge question. Why was JediFalcon banned yet people who issue threats are still posting? I can name names too, or you can just go look at your reporting queue and check the reports I sent.

We'll see how it takes for me to get banned and we'll see how long the mods completely ignore my posts.

I've suggested this before.

Everyone who wants to post should have to take the Wonderlic Test.

That would weed-out about 90% of the problem.

Thanks. I think it says a lot that the moderation team fails to realize that they are ultimately the problem here. Other message boards have problems with trolls, but their moderation teams act fast and ban obvious trolls.

Here's a huge question. Why was JediFalcon banned yet people who issue threats are still posting? I can name names too, or you can just go look at your reporting queue and check the reports I sent.

We'll see how it takes for me to get banned and we'll see how long the mods completely ignore my posts.

Wait a sec...You reported me?! :o

Or Did I read that wrong? Either way, I used to post here under a different name a long time ago for a couple years (2002-2005), Then I got banned for calling a mod out. I then just read the forum instead of posting for years before re-joining the other day.

Of Course, With all the negative rep I get simply because of my avatar, I will get banned again eventually anyway. Its only a matter of time.

Wait a sec...You reported me?! :o

Or Did I read that wrong? Either way, I used to post here under a different name a long time ago for a couple years (2002-2005), Then I got banned for calling a mod out. I then just read the forum instead of posting for years before re-joining the other day.

Of Course, With all the negative rep I get simply because of my avatar, I will get banned again eventually anyway. Its only a matter of time.

No. You read that wrong. I was talking to the moderators as a group. I, like you, was banned roughly 4 years ago and was only able to come back recently. The moderator that banned me holds grudges for stupid reasons.

Question. Is the mod that banned you a fan of the Sacramento Kings?

I hope everyone is having a happy holiday season. I was thinking about what we could do to improve the experience for fans of the AFMB, and I have an idea.

I think we need to take Talk About The Falcons and break it up into 3 seaparate groups. These groups are:

1. ***** about the Falcons - This will give a place for all of the people who want to constantly thrash their supposedly favorite team. It will let them all co-miserate together and leave the rest of us alone. It will be Hater Heaven!

2. "Realist" Talk About the Falcons - There is a group here who call themselves "realists". They are honestly much more intelligent that the folks in category 1, they have a good understanding of football, and are willing to discuss issues with the team. But these folks think that Criticism is a spiritual gift from The Lord above, and 99.999999% of what they post is negative. It is not wrong or unintelligent, but frequency of positive posts from this group is as often as a win by the Lions - basically 0-1 each year. If they have their own forum, they can talk to the people they want to talk to.

3. The "I Want To Focus On the Positives" of the Falcons - This is the group that wants to talk about the issues with the team, but still believe in the Falcons and the progress we are making. This is the group that will stand by and support their team no matter what, and will always cheer for a win.

Just a thought..... wink.gif

Unfortuately, you just tripled the amount of work the mods will have to do.

Posters won't post in the proper forum and you mods will have to move to the proper forum.

Then you all could be called out because for whatever reason, you didn't move the thread to the proper subforum.

I think the troll problem is very mild compared to what it was in 2004.

Back then, you had professional trolls trolling this board making life miserable for everyone.

There's a reason people do very well as outside consultants, sometimes those who are entrenched in an company / organization may not be aware of the different ideas out there. You can shake your head all you want and kiss up in an attempt to become a Mod or Admin, but it is ironic that an Admin starts a thread with ideas of how to improve a message board and then shut down any other ideas outside of his own. The Pay to Post idea I shared works very well and it keeps the "casual" trolls from stirring up unnecessary garbage.

The Falcons don't seem to have a problem accepting donations from their message board members, they have no problem raising ticket prices not 5 months after talking about how they want to reward their loyal fans, yet they apparently have an issue with "casual fans" paying $1-$2 in a one time fee to post on their message board, that they host and pay for. It just seems bizarre.

Maybe the real answer is having a section for just Season Ticket Holders where we have to use our Account #'s to register.

Please tell me your not serious, but sadly you are. Sorry the ironic part is that your truly believe that a Mod or Admin could be some kind of out side consultant. Are you really that stupid you do understand the the Organization know as THE ATLANTA FALCONS own all right to this message board an because of they they and they along have the final say in what is and isn't don't on the boards and REv and his fellow Mod an Admins only enfore the CoC.

I love your sad and childish comment about me 'kiss up in an attempt to become a Mod or Admin" sorry Charlie but you could not pay me enough to take that job, for that matter could not pay me and give me season tickets for life to do it, would not want to have to deal with childish poster like you who get upset when things don't go your way. It is really uncomprehending how you in some distributional thought process think making some one pay a whole big $1 would discourage trolls from posting. If it works so well tell us where so we can see how little the troll post are there.

As far as your comment about "The Falcons don't seem to have a problem accepting donations from their message board members, they have no problem raising ticket prices not 5 months after talking about how they want to reward their loyal fans" You do understand that first of all it was not the Falcons that started the donation process it was the members of the board themselves and if you donated no one made you so just really don't understand your problem with that. As far as raising ticket prices on season tickets or on single game tickets, did they MAKE you pay the higher prices nope sure didn't if you don't like it don't pay it. What's bizarre is that you seriously think a $1 or 2 dollar one time fee would stop trolls if you would like to see a section for just Season Ticket Holders ask for it. While I can not afford to have season tickets because of my disability income it would be fine by me. Trolls don't bother me because I just ignore them and don't replay to their threads.

swgadirtybird and katsun like this

Or just have a $1 fee to join like other boards and that will cut down on the number of trolls greatly. The $1 fee could go to the Arthur Blank Foundation. People stop to think before spending a $1 to join a message board.

Let's make it $100

Okie Dokie.

After reading all of the post I have formulated an Idea.

What we need is a Shark equipped with L_A_S_E_R_S

Now I already Know what you are thinking.

GEE whiz Karst41 where are we going to get a laser equipped Shark?

We hold a Raffle.

Raffle you say?

Yes a Raffle.

Proceeds go to "Charity" ;)

The Winner of the "Raffle" is The Shark !

The Laser is the "Winner" of the "Raffle" gets to be a MOD for a day.

The day is of his / her own choosing.

Any Person/s Bandeded by this Laser Equiped Shark stays Banded with the

exception of a 10% Mulligan Factor.

Meaning that if this persons Ban Hmmm lets say 20 people then the MODs

will be allowed to restore 10% or 2 people.

B)