Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rev_Hal

I think I have an idea that will greatly improve these boards

79 posts in this topic

Never is a long time, depending on what is said by one of the trolls the Falcons may have to consider it. I've seen some pretty awful things said around here (personal threats for example), it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for the Falcons to know exactly who is posting on their boards.

I can tell you for an absolute certainty that if the boards got that bad, they would be shut down.

Your proposal is an interesting one Rev and if allowed, I'd give you a big +1; however, I propose an additional improvement that has the potential of deterring many of the trolls who seem to grow like fungi:

Impose a 100 post requirement AND a requirement that you've been registered in FalconsLIFE for 30 days before you can start a new thread.

It's been pretty obvious that a 100 post count requirement alone wouldn't do the trick: we've all seen trolls bump up their count with one word responses/bumps/various forms of stupidity; however, most of them will tire of the process when forced to wait until they've been members for 30 days before they can spread poison in a new thread.

Nothing will completely stop a troll who is determined to cause disruption or violate the COC, but the 100 post count requirement coupled with a 30 day hurdle will deter many trolls and make these boards easier for the mods to police and easier for the members to enjoy.

If anyone else thinks this is a good idea, please feel free to bump this...it will boost your post countlaugh.gif

Totally agree, this is the best option.

Your proposal is an interesting one Rev and if allowed, I'd give you a big +1; however, I propose an additional improvement that has the potential of deterring many of the trolls who seem to grow like fungi:

Impose a 100 post requirement AND a requirement that you've been registered in FalconsLIFE for 30 days before you can start a new thread.

It's been pretty obvious that a 100 post count requirement alone wouldn't do the trick: we've all seen trolls bump up their count with one word responses/bumps/various forms of stupidity; however, most of them will tire of the process when forced to wait until they've been members for 30 days before they can spread poison in a new thread.

Nothing will completely stop a troll who is determined to cause disruption or violate the COC, but the 100 post count requirement coupled with a 30 day hurdle will deter many trolls and make these boards easier for the mods to police and easier for the members to enjoy.

If anyone else thinks this is a good idea, please feel free to bump this...it will boost your post countlaugh.gif

Congratualtions! You are officially the 1,000,000,000,000,000th person to make that suggestion that has so many holes in it that it would never fly! There is no set of restrictions that would make a difference, and if that Falcons have to do that, it defeats the purpose of having an open forum for their fans.

The major problem is that these boards are what the Falcons want them to be, not what YOU want them to be.

This would be so easy to get around that it would create a logistical nightmare trying to moderate it. No matter how much you think this would deter trolls, you are absoluely wrong. It would no virtually nothing to slow them down. They would have multiple accounts aging and building up posts that when 1 gets banned, they would just move to the next one.

It just is not going to happen, so continuing to beg for it only becomes as annoying as the people you consider to be a troll.

This will prevent the casual poster from posting. If trolls would get tired of waiting 30 days to start a thread, real fans would get tired too.

Being of the "realist" persuasion myself, I suggest that this post is negative. I'm really tired

of all the "what we need next year" and "we should draft this guy" posts we've seen all week. Where

are the "How do we beat the f'ing Jets" posts and "Will Turner return?" posts. Nope. All our Johny

Come Lately Band Wagoners have either gone or are already wanting to talk about next year. To me,

we still have a few games left to enjoy. ENJOY THEM. This topic is fine AFTER the season. Mid-season,

this would be way too debbie downer for me...

Go Falcons!

Oh, BTW, I was the only one who picked us 7-9 to 9-7 pre-season. Last year I picked us, in pre-season,

to go 10-6. Damned "realists"... I'll let you know next-year pre-season what I pick for next year. It

has to do with who we've traded, who we've acquired, injuries, and schedule. Last year we had the easiest

schedule I've see in 10+- years. This year, coming in to the season, possibly one of the hardest I've

seen in that time. Next year, I have no idea, because I'm a "realist", not a crystal ball aficionado.

Merry Christmas.

Congratualtions! You are officially the 1,000,000,000,000,000th person to make that suggestion that has so many holes in it that it would never fly! There is no set of restrictions that would make a difference, and if that Falcons have to do that, it defeats the purpose of having an open forum for their fans.

The major problem is that these boards are what the Falcons want them to be, not what YOU want them to be.

I'm sure EVERY other Official Team boards have that rule. Can't the Falcons change their rules to make their Fans' lives better?

Gotta love an Admin that starts a thread talking about how to improve the message board and then shoots down any suggestion. :lol: :wacko: Again, this suggestion is one that OTHER boards use, but "it'll never happen" on the Falcons board... just because. :lol:

It's great to have an OPEN message board, what's even better is an OPEN message board that doesn't have to be constantly monitored.

Voice of Reason likes this

This will prevent the casual poster from posting. If trolls would get tired of waiting 30 days to start a thread, real fans would get tired too.

Why do you have to start a thread right away? In the TATF forum there's a thread on just about every subject possible. It might prevent the occassional quick question thread in other areas of the board, such as the Dome Field section, but a solid search function would help there.

This board is great and it's got some solid ideas, but the way it's managed could use some help. Simply adding more sections to the board is never the way to go, it just creates more work for the Admins and ignoring/blowing off options that actually do work on other boards is also only leaving more work for the Admins... but hey everyone has to justify their job on some level.

I like the idea but it would not keep the trolls from going into rooms 2 or three and still posting crap. like someone said the worst part of the negative trolls is poster who acknowledge them and give them life.

This would be so easy to get around that it would create a logistical nightmare trying to moderate it. No matter how much you think this would deter trolls, you are absoluely wrong. It would no virtually nothing to slow them down. They would have multiple accounts aging and building up posts that when 1 gets banned, they would just move to the next one.

It just is not going to happen, so continuing to beg for it only becomes as annoying as the people you consider to be a troll.

:lol: Hey Rev you could always add more Mod there have been severl who would like the job, problems is they would end up banning everyone they didn't like rather then using so sort of good judgment.

Gotta love an Admin that starts a thread talking about how to improve the message board and then shoots down any suggestion. :lol: :wacko: Again, this suggestion is one that OTHER boards use, but "it'll never happen" on the Falcons board... just because. :lol:

It's great to have an OPEN message board, what's even better is an OPEN message board that doesn't have to be constantly monitored.

Better yet gotta love a poster who complains about a reply from an Admin who does agree with their post because they have no knowledge what the Falcons organization would allow. What happens on other boards is other boards. I fell real confident in telling you Rev. Hal has a good understanding of what the Folks that are really in charge would and would not allow SMH.

katsun and swgadirtybird like this

I hope everyone is having a happy holiday season. I was thinking about what we could do to improve the experience for fans of the AFMB, and I have an idea.

I think we need to take Talk About The Falcons and break it up into 3 seaparate groups. These groups are:

1. ***** about the Falcons - This will give a place for all of the people who want to constantly thrash their supposedly favorite team. It will let them all co-miserate together and leave the rest of us alone. It will be Hater Heaven!

2. "Realist" Talk About the Falcons - There is a group here who call themselves "realists". They are honestly much more intelligent that the folks in category 1, they have a good understanding of football, and are willing to discuss issues with the team. But these folks think that Criticism is a spiritual gift from The Lord above, and 99.999999% of what they post is negative. It is not wrong or unintelligent, but frequency of positive posts from this group is as often as a win by the Lions - basically 0-1 each year. If they have their own forum, they can talk to the people they want to talk to.

3. The "I Want To Focus On the Positives" of the Falcons - This is the group that wants to talk about the issues with the team, but still believe in the Falcons and the progress we are making. This is the group that will stand by and support their team no matter what, and will always cheer for a win.

Just a thought..... wink.gif

Your idea may work. Although I've been much happier since I started utilizing the "Manage Ignored Users" function. Although I now have carpal tunnel issues. :D

I think we need to take Talk About The Falcons and break it up into 3 seaparate groups.

Just a thought..... ;)

1. Bittche about the Falcons - Probably the easiest one to post on. Anything short of a perfect record and the coaches calling plays these guys approve of is "moronic"

2. "Realist" Talk About the Falcons - Which is just a continuation of group 1, except that they preface their comments with "I know I'm going to get flamed, but...............". By doing this, they give the illusion that they actually understand / care about football.

3. The "I Want To Focus On the Positives" of the Falcons - Gotta go with pipedream here. Sounds just too good to be true.

But if you get it started, please add me in......................:rolleyes:

Gotta love an Admin that starts a thread talking about how to improve the message board and then shoots down any suggestion. laugh.gifwacko.gif Again, this suggestion is one that OTHER boards use, but "it'll never happen" on the Falcons board... just because.

It will not happen because the decision makers have made the decision that it won't happen. Don't shoot the messenger! laugh.gif

laugh.gif Hey Rev you could always add more Mod there have been severl who would like the job, problems is they would end up banning everyone they didn't like rather then using so sort of good judgment.

And these people who become mods would have to enforce the policies dictated by the Falcons, so not much would change.wink.gif

It will not happen because the decision makers have made the decision that it won't happen. Don't shoot the messenger! laugh.gif

Fair enough, but does the messenger have to be so harsh? Your responses to my posts were fine but the response to NewFalcon was harsh, the time limit/post count idea is one that I've seen work on dozens of other boards, it doesn't prevent people from posting it just prevents unneeded threads. The point I'm trying to make is that there are dozens of ways to eliminate the time spent of the Vick2453's of the world and more time with productive/entertaining conversations.

Better yet gotta love a poster who complains about a reply from an Admin who does agree with their post because they have no knowledge what the Falcons organization would allow. What happens on other boards is other boards. I fell real confident in telling you Rev. Hal has a good understanding of what the Folks that are really in charge would and would not allow SMH.

There's a reason people do very well as outside consultants, sometimes those who are entrenched in an company / organization may not be aware of the different ideas out there. You can shake your head all you want and kiss up in an attempt to become a Mod or Admin, but it is ironic that an Admin starts a thread with ideas of how to improve a message board and then shut down any other ideas outside of his own. The Pay to Post idea I shared works very well and it keeps the "casual" trolls from stirring up unnecessary garbage.

The Falcons don't seem to have a problem accepting donations from their message board members, they have no problem raising ticket prices not 5 months after talking about how they want to reward their loyal fans, yet they apparently have an issue with "casual fans" paying $1-$2 in a one time fee to post on their message board, that they host and pay for. It just seems bizarre.

Maybe the real answer is having a section for just Season Ticket Holders where we have to use our Account #'s to register.

Fair enough, but does the messenger have to be so harsh? Your responses to my posts were fine but the response to NewFalcon was harsh, the time limit/post count idea is one that I've seen work on dozens of other boards, it doesn't prevent people from posting it just prevents unneeded threads. The point I'm trying to make is that there are dozens of ways to eliminate the time spent of the Vick2453's of the world and more time with productive/entertaining conversations.

Well, when you have heard the same request millions of times and given the response millions of times, it gets old.

Well, when you have heard the same request millions of times and given the response millions of times, it gets old.

Nobody forced you to respond. I know I'm playing with fire disagreeing with an Admin but you can't start a thread talking about ways to improve a message board and then come off the way you did, not as an Admin. IMO Just keep in mind you were the one that started this thread and many of us have seen that creating MORE places to direct threads is not the way to go, it doesn't solve the problem. It just creates more work for people like yourself who have to go around moving threads. If you want to solve the real issues of this board you may have to change how the board operates. Adding sections like "Anything but Logic" is funny but all that really did was create more strife and make the trolls more aggressive.

Rev -

This may have been mentioned, but some other team boards have a dedicated Smack forum. We should too. Let the people who enjoy smack gravitate there, and hopefully the quality of the TATF forum will improve. Check out the way the Cincinnati Bengals board is set up - I think it could provide a good model.

Rev -

This may have been mentioned, but some other team boards have a dedicated Smack forum. We should too. Let the people who enjoy smack gravitate there, and hopefully the quality of the TATF forum will improve. Check out the way the Cincinnati Bengals board is set up - I think it could provide a good model.

I just wonder if anyone would really post there. Pure Football was created to get higher qualitry discussions, but traffic is so low there that all discussions end up back here. TATF and ABF are the only forums that get seriouls traffic year round.