Will Arthur compete with the 'Big Boys'

caveman

Due to different markets and different stadium deals, the Falcons are well below the revenue level of many teams.

So, will Mr. Blank spend whatever it takes to bring a championship to Atlanta? Or will he stick to an average

payroll which most likly would produce an average product?

I think it depends on how deep his long term commitment is. Planning for a new stadium will take years, but ultimately could provide the Falcons with a more level playing field -- IF they have a top level team for the fans to support.

Uncapped years actually hurt the big boys and especally play-off teams - fewer free agents and very limited in free agent participation if you are one of the top 8 teams at the end of the season. The only good benefit for the big boys is that teams get 3 franchise tags instead of only 1 - so it can keep more of the big names on big teams off of the market w/o having to sign them to a long term contract that could cost more.

In the past Blank has been accused of over paying for players so I am sure if the guy is worth he'll pay it. I am curious to find out if next year is uncapped and the subsequent years are capped then how do the contracts signed next year work into that fold? Does it just simply ignore the salary and prorated bonus the first year and then continue the following year as if nothing has changed? It would seem like contracts would then be front loaded with the salary and possibly reduce the guaranteed because the players will in all likelihood realize it the first year and there will not be any cap ramifications.

There are rules in place to prevent it from happening. Just because the CBA is gone does not mean that teams dont have spending limits. I'm not the NFL rules expert, but I have been assured by many who work for the NFL that spending will not go hog wild. That is why no one is tallking about it now.

The NFL is smart enough to know that parity is one of their biggest selling points, and the cap has done more to ensure continued fan interest around the league than anything else.

I fully expect a new CBA in place by 2011.

I don't see a big spending spree this year.

I think that most teams will be very cautious in free agency this year for a number of reasons. Firstly, the owners will want to send a message to the players (than an uncapped NFL isn't going to result in a mad spending spree and more money for the players). Secondly, the rules for the uncapped year prevent teams from accelerating money in to the uncapped year and front loading contract. As the cap will almost certainly return in 2011 (although a strike or lockout will be necessary before an agreement is reached), teams won't want to sign huge deals that will hurt their cap in 2011 and beyond in. Thirdly, when the cap does come back in 2011 the players with 4 and 5 accrued season who have been denied unrestricted free agency in 2010 will all become UFA. There there could be bumper pool of FA's in 2011 and I think that teams will want to ensure that they have a lot of cap space left to take advatage of it (or to retain their best UFA)

I don't see a big spending spree this year.

I think that most teams will be very cautious in free agency this year for a number of reasons. Firstly, the owners will want to send a message to the players (than an uncapped NFL isn't going to result in a mad spending spree and more money for the players). Secondly, the rules for the uncapped year prevent teams from accelerating money in to the uncapped year and front loading contract. As the cap will almost certainly return in 2011 (although a strike or lockout will be necessary before an agreement is reached), teams won't want to sign huge deals that will hurt their cap in 2011 and beyond in. Thirdly, when the cap does come back in 2011 the players with 4 and 5 accrued season who have been denied unrestricted free agency in 2010 will all become UFA. There there could be bumper pool of FA's in 2011 and I think that teams will want to ensure that they have a lot of cap space left to take advatage of it (or to retain their best UFA)

Excellent point. I didn't know it would revert back from 6.

There are rules in place to prevent it from happening. Just because the CBA is gone does not mean that teams dont have spending limits. I'm not the NFL rules expert, but I have been assured by many who work for the NFL that spending will not go hog wild. That is why no one is tallking about it now.

The NFL is smart enough to know that parity is one of their biggest selling points, and the cap has done more to ensure continued fan interest around the league than anything else.

I fully expect a new CBA in place by 2011.

I totally agree. I also fully expect a new CBA to be in place by 2011.

Perhaps the recent increase in Season Ticket price has something to do with Blank trying to build up a larger bankroll in order to put out more cash for players in the uncapped year. I really don't know for sure, but I thought it was worth bringing up so you guys could consider it.

Or maybe Mr. Blank is doing what he does best, Turn businesses into money machines. He knows that owning the Falcons is a limited business deal and is approaching the uncapped next year as such. He will pay for talent but not nearly as much as the rest of the owners.

I think Blank will listen to a "frugal" GM, in Thomas Dimitroff. He's great at finding good deals for quality players. Therefore I think the spending will be somewhere in the middle...not extravagant, but not too "chinchy" either. And some will say, that will give us a middle of the road team...which it may, but if you look at The Cowgirls, their owner spent a BILLION dollars on a new stadium, plus a lot of money on so-called super stars, and what has it bought him?........8 and 5. :P It all comes down to "heart"....

who has it, and who doesn't. The teams that do, win championships.....the ones who don't, go to Cancun after the last regular season game.

We'll be a LOT better next year, when our current players get well, and we add a few pieces to the team via FA and the draft.

Edited by FalconJim

I don't think Mr. Blank will think about a new stadium until they start filling the seats we have right now. The only way we will do that is to win games, playoffs, SB. Kinda like what the Hawks are doing right now. Although they haven't made it to the big stage just yet, they are headed in the right direction, and they are young and exciting.

i don't think so. he wants a stadium in a safe part of town with plenty of parking and high priced seating