Angels pursuing Vazquez

mookie3127

Angels Pursuing Javier Vazquez?

By Luke Adams [December 17, 2009 at 5:54pm CST]

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim are focusing on acquiring Javier Vazquez from the Atlanta Braves, according to ESPN.com's Jayson Stark. Stark (who credits angelswin.com's Chuck Richter with the initial story) hears from rival executives that, in the wake of missing out on John Lackey, the Angels have turned their attention to the Braves and Vazquez.

The Angels will have an uphill battle, however, attempting to deal for Vazquez, as opposed to his teammate Derek Lowe. In addition to coming off a stronger season and having a more favorable contract than Lowe, Vazquez also has a no-trade clause that allows him to veto a deal to a west-coast club. A trade to the Angels would mean the right-hander would have to waive that clause, which he negotiated in order to stay closer to his family in Puerto Rico.

With Lackey, Roy Halladay, and Randy Wolf all off the market, Vazquez is one of the more interesting names still potentially available. The Braves have maintained all along that once Lackey signed, Lowe would become a more attractive commodity, and the same could be said about Vazquez. I don't expect the Braves to move him, but they could demand a significant return if they did.

My link

Outside of the NTC Javy has. The Braves would also ask for a lot more in return for Javy. Considering the year Javy is coming off of and his more favorable contract. Braves are in position to demand at least 2 very good young players. Angels just need to deal for Lowe. Braves pay $15 million of his salary. Basically they get Lowe at $10 million per and don't have to give up much for him.

I'd definitely be interested to see what we could get in return for Javy. Of course, I'd rather deal Lowe, but trading Javy might be better for the team. A staff of Jurrjens-Hudson-Hanson-Lowe-KK is still a very good one. If Vazquez can get us a good hitter/s, we could have a more balanced team.

I'd definitely be interested to see what we could get in return for Javy. Of course, I'd rather deal Lowe, but trading Javy might be better for the team. A staff of Jurrjens-Hudson-Hanson-Lowe-KK is still a very good one. If Vazquez can get us a good hitter/s, we could have a more balanced team.

I would be perfectly happy if it were Javy instead of Lowe traded for the simple fact that I do not trust Javy enough to think he will finally be consistent. Not to mention the fact that he could up and leave after the season.