Per ESPN rumors....Calvin Johnson could be traded by the Lions.......

wartownfalcon

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what would you give up to get Johnson here?....Jenkins and someone else to Detroit for Johnson

Johnson and White would be deadly

but also, do we need him?....personally i think we score enough points to win, mainly we need defense, defense, defense

While I think Calvin would be a nice addition...

I think he's going to cost an arm and a leg.... probably 2 first rounders and a good player.

Jenkins? Come on man. The guys that run the Lions are not THAT dumb.

The Lions are facing their own Curtis Grandersonmoment.

If it wasn't apparent before, it should be clear now after the Bailout in Baltimore. The Lions are looking at 2012 -- at the earliest -- before they're relevant, leaving them with no alternative but to re-evaluate the worth of their one measurable asset.

Trade him.

Send him to a team confident that they're a big-play receiver away from a championship and get in return a bounty of early-round draft picks that could help the Lions address their No. 1 problem -- a cavernous void of talent.

One star doesn't matter on a team this wretched. Popularity doesn't matter. Merchandising doesn't matter. Good behavior doesn't matter.

Just as the Tigers understood that and traded Granderson and Edwin Jacksonlast week, the Lions must accept the truth. Even at the risk of public scorn, they must trade Johnson at the apex of his marketability.

Maybe that's a loser's mentality, but the Lions are losers.

Trading Johnson would stamp the final punctuation on Matt Millen's disastrous tenure -- the fourth wide receiver taken in the first round in six years no longer on the team.

What's funny is they actually drafted a genuine playmaker in Johnson, but he's someone the Lions can't fully utilize because of numerous holes elsewhere on both sides of the ball.

Looking back, 2007 will be remembered as the Lions' worst draft of an already distressing decade. I wrote when they tabbed Johnson second overall that it was stupid not to trade him right away because impact receivers remain the easiest to accumulate of any position, and the Lions could possibly help themselves with four of the draft's first 65 picks.

But the Lions argued that they accomplished both. They kept Johnson but also engineered deals that gave them three second-round picks.

The first second-round pick, Michigan State quarterback Drew Stanton, apparently isn't good enough to get on the field -- even at the end of a blowout loss. The other two second-round choices, defensive endIkaika Alama-Francis and safety Gerald Alexander, are no longer with the team.

Last year, general manager Martin Mayhew fleeced Dallas for first-, third- and sixth-round picks by sending Roy Williams to the Cowboys before the trading deadline.

Johnson should command a higher price.

It won't be a popular move, but the first step in demanding accountability is honestly assessing how to best use your best player.

Sold, sell the farm, send them Jamaal Anderson, Michael Jenkins, and our first round pick to bring him home. Seriously that would be a KILLER pickup for the Falcons, he'd be a perfect WR opposite White, and next to Douglas. Imagine that offense *drool* I know our defense still struggles, but if they're going to move Megatron I'd be willing to make a blockbuster move for him.

Agree 100%!!! Instead of Ryan locking on to Gonzo all day, every day. We could have a WR that he could lock on to, and actually make big plays. Just heave the ball downfield Megatron will catch it 85% of the time. Roddy White would get more open looks too. Wow, I know every team out there would want him, but CJ, Roddy, Gonzo, and HD. Jeez.

this is interesting. having him on the same field with Turner, Gonzo, HD and White? that sounds amazing. i would be up for it only if the price isnt too big. defense is still the main thing we need to focus on in the offseason but if CJ comes at a somewhat reasonable price, then I say do it.

Oh the price is not going to be reasonable. but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do it.

Edited by Peyton

what would you give up to get Johnson here?....Jenkins and someone else to Detroit for Johnson

but also, do we need him?....personally i think we score enough points to win, mainly we need defense, defense, defense

You forgot to mention that the Lions want to do a Herschel Walker type deal.

He would be nice but you'd have to be prepared to give at least 2 or 3 players or possibly 2 early round draft picks to get Calvin Johnson so I ask myself are we in a position to do this is I suspect not so giving away draft pics is'nt going to happen as its against the build through the draft philosophy that TD is preaching.So the only way I see us getting him is trade packaging of players whatever Detroit needs vs the players we have to trade in there weak area's.

I mean I know were out of the vick salary cap this year, but Geesh Johnson would be for your first born and the rest of his contract it would be great to have him, but we would be broke again. :(