ryan and turner held out of practice again

News

Falcons hold out Ryan, Turner again

Posted: December 16th, 2009 | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Atlanta Falcons, Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Mike Smith, Week 15 injuries

Falcons QB Matt Ryan and RB Michael Turner continue to be held out of practices as they deal with ongoing injuries.

Falcons coach Mike Smith told reporters Wednesday that both Ryan and Turner wouldn’t take part in the team’s afternoon practice and will be considered day to day this week as the team prepares to face the Jets.

“They’ve continued to work with the training staff, and we are hoping they will get some time out there on the field in practice before the end of the week,” Smith said. “It’s still a day-to-day situation with both those guys.”

Ryan was able to participate in a walk-through Wednesday morning, according to Smith. The team’s first injury report of the week is due to be released Wednesday afternoon.

Ryan (toe) and Turner (ankle) have both missed the last two games because of their injuries.

Does anyone else on this MB think it's a bit odd that Turner is still not practicing? He typically recovers from ankle injuries quickly and has recovered from high ankle sprains (on 2 separate occassions this year) in 2 weeks. Now a lower ankle sprain has kept him sidelined for 3 weeks if not more. Had Turner been on the field against the Saints this past Sunday, there would have been no Redman interception because Turner would have run the ball right down the field for the TD.

Is the Falcons organization already playing for next year by holding out Turner and even possibly Ryan?

Edited by AtlFan1971

Does anyone else on this MB think it's a bit odd that Turner is still not practicing? He typically recovers from ankle injuries quickly and has recovered from high ankle sprains (on 2 separate occassions this year) in 2 weeks. Now a lower ankle sprain has kept him sidelined for 3 weeks if not more. Had Turner been on the field against the Saints this past Sunday, there would have been no Redman interception because Turner would have run the ball right down the field for the TD.

Is the Falcons organization already playing for next year by holding out Turner and even possibly Ryan?

please.....stop

why did you have to go there

I believe we are ok without Ryan...he should not be rushed at all. Redman can do the needful as he has proved yet again v/s the best team in the league (Saints)

Turner if ok should atleast be in 1-2 quarters to rest Snelling.......because of the weather conditions I think 'running game' will be our key skill set for an upset!

What say?

is getting old

after this week, if they are iffy, would there really be a reason to play them for 2 meaningless games, and risk them getting re-injured or injured somewhere else??

Does "BCEagleATLFalcon is a very selfish fan who wants to see them play in Tampa" count as a valid reason?? tongue.gif

(In all seriousness, of course their long-term health is far more important. Don't want them on the field if it will have lasting repercussions.)

please.....stop

why did you have to go there

Because I get sick and tired of the BS that I see week in and week out concerning our injured players. With Turner's ability in the past to heal quickly from ankle sprains, and the fact that I would love the Falcons to win the remainder of our games whether we make the post season or not - that is why I went there!

If the Falcon organization is more concerned about next year than they are winning the remainder of their games - that makes me upset! I do not want either to get injured worse by playing too soon, but dragging out a DNP - Q week in week out when there is a DNP - D or DNP - O, and hearing Mike Smith say over and over he would hope that either could see limited practice later in the week gives me hope they could come back.

“It’s still a day-to-day situation with both those guys.”

:lol:

Our bloated coach at it once again. Day to day? Man he is desperate, it's getting sad to watch this guy melt under the pressure. We all know they aren't playing, to even mention that Ryan participated in a walk-through is a desperate attempt by a failing coach to give the illusion that these guys have a chance to play.

Ryan walked into the facility right? That's about what a walk-through consists of.

Well done Mike, 2-6 out of the last 8 games is very Mora-esque

Because I get sick and tired of the BS that I see week in and week out concerning our injured players. With Turner's ability in the past to heal quickly from ankle sprains, and the fact that I would love the Falcons to win the remainder of our games whether we make the post season or not - that is why I went there!

If the Falcon organization is more concerned about next year than they are winning the remainder of their games - that makes me upset! I do not want either to get injured worse by playing too soon, but dragging out a DNP - Q week in week out when there is a DNP - D or DNP - O, and hearing Mike Smith say over and over he would hope that either could see limited practice later in the week gives me hope they could come back.

You do realize that he came back too soon the first time and re-injured the ankle. If he could practice he would. This time it may be too bad of an injury.

:lol:

Our bloated coach at it once again. Day to day? Man he is desperate, it's getting sad to watch this guy melt under the pressure. We all know they aren't playing, to even mention that Ryan participated in a walk-through is a desperate attempt by a failing coach to give the illusion that these guys have a chance to play.

Ryan walked into the facility right? That's about what a walk-through consists of.

Well done Mike, 2-6 out of the last 8 games is very Mora-esque

keep it up FalconsMyLife

if your 2009 resolution was to get a -500 rep by the end of the year, you are so close to acheiving your misguided goal

You do realize that he came back too soon the first time and re-injured the ankle. If he could practice he would. This time it may be too bad of an injury.

And that too is why I am upset - Turner comes back against the Bucs, yes it took the very last play of that game to win, but if Atlanta could not beat the Bucs without Turner, we did not deserve to win that game. Snelling proved once Turner was out of that game, that he could carry the load. They felt the need to get Turner out there when we were more in the playoff hunt than we are now - I thought that was a HUGE mistake - it had only been 2 weeks and it was a high ankle sprain.

Now when it is a lower ankle sprain (which is typically does not take someone in the NFL longer to heal from than a high ankle sprain) and with Turner's ability to heal quickly - just makes me curious if they are thinking more about next season than this season. I want them to break the back to back curse once and for all, whether they make the post season or not (of course I am hoping like crazy that Dallas can come through and loose the remainder of their games). I want something positive to look forward to next year, and something for this team to build on, not simply say wait until next year!