Falcons Draft Need - Cornerback

atljbo

link

Falcons Draft Need - Cornerback

By Scott Eklund

FalconsInsider.com

Date: Dec 15, 2009

Head coach Mike Smith and GM Thomas Dimitroff have their hands full this offseason. Whether they make the playoffs or not, the Falcons must find some cornerbacks they can rely on in both zone and man-coverage in order to take the next step. The offensive playmakers are in place, but on defense they need more or they will be mired in mediocrity for the forseeable future...

Does anyone has a scout.com account so we can see the whole article ?

Like I posted last night we like Haden and Spoon right now. I really think they will take Haden if he is there.

This is a good article on Haden below. I highlighted what I like best about him from this article.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/florida-gators-joe-haden-goes-from-high-school-quarterback-to-all-america/1056161

Coach Meyer was talking to me and I said, 'Coach, I just want to get on the field. I feel like I can play.' He was like, 'You're right. You should be on the field helping the team win.' He said, 'You can go play cornerback.' And I'd never played corner before, and I was like, 'So now I have to guard Percy?' And he was like, 'Yeah.' I was like, 'Okay, we'll work on it.' "

He worked on it as if his life depended on it. In the spring of 2007, while the rest of his high school classmates were finishing school, Haden had hooked up with assistant coach Chuck Heater and was learning his new position. By fall, he had earned a starting position, although it would be an up-and-down first season. Enter former Michigan defensive backs coach Vance Bedford, who was hired at the end of Haden's freshman year. Bedford built on what Heater started.

He had never played CB before going to FL. And it seems like he can learn anybody's system quickly.

Like I posted last night we like Haden and Spoon right now. I really think they will take Haden if he is there.

This is a good article on Haden below. I highlighted what I like best about him from this article.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/florida-gators-joe-haden-goes-from-high-school-quarterback-to-all-america/1056161

Coach Meyer was talking to me and I said, 'Coach, I just want to get on the field. I feel like I can play.' He was like, 'You're right. You should be on the field helping the team win.' He said, 'You can go play cornerback.' And I'd never played corner before, and I was like, 'So now I have to guard Percy?' And he was like, 'Yeah.' I was like, 'Okay, we'll work on it.' "

He worked on it as if his life depended on it. In the spring of 2007, while the rest of his high school classmates were finishing school, Haden had hooked up with assistant coach Chuck Heater and was learning his new position. By fall, he had earned a starting position, although it would be an up-and-down first season. Enter former Michigan defensive backs coach Vance Bedford, who was hired at the end of Haden's freshman year. Bedford built on what Heater started.

He had never played CB before going to FL. And it seems like he can learn anybody's system quickly.

The thing is the fact that we are taking a gamble to see if he is available if we dont address it in FA. I just think that based on TD and his tendencies he might not go overly aggressive in FA for a CB and will just wait to the draft and see what happens.

The thing is the fact that we are taking a gamble to see if he is available if we dont address it in FA. I just think that based on TD and his tendencies he might not go overly aggressive in FA for a CB and will just wait to the draft and see what happens.

I don't think it's a one or the other type of thing. We can pick up a solid FA and still draft our guy for the future. If that's Haden, I don't see any reason not to do it if that's who they feel is the best pick. It's not like we couldn't use the help.

Of course we can't count on landing Haden, so I don't think our efforts in free agency will be determined by what we think we might get in the draft.

Owens is the only one we have now that I would consider keeping around for that starting job... and he has improvements to make himself. Houston and Grimes are good for competition but I'd keep Chevis over both of them for nickel.

CBs we have Houston Grimes Owens Hill Jackson and say if we do draft Haden say I think Hill is the unlucky one of the bunch.Pehaps use Houston as trade bait if that would be a viable plan B.I like the look of Haden and the fact that the FO is holding true and building through the draft.

I say we sign an older corner maybe in there late 20's early 30's if we plan on drafting a young corner for the future therefore the rookie can start at nickel or dime the vet can start and owens and houston start. By the time Houston's contract is up the rookie and owens will have bloomed and we can let him walk. BOOM problem solved.

I think dependant on the Bryan Williams situation I'm thinking this is the guy that will be the leader of that secondary next year bring in a young guy no need to touch a CB in FA.But I do think Hill and possibly Houston's time are up with the Falcon's.I think we go young with Haden if he's available keep Williams and there we are.The wildcard for our secondary is how Moore progresses if he turns up to training camp fully soughted and ready to go I think our secondary will be improved vastly on this year.

I think dependant on the Bryan Williams situation I'm thinking this is the guy that will be the leader of that secondary next year bring in a young guy no need to touch a CB in FA.But I do think Hill and possibly Houston's time are up with the Falcon's.I think we go young with Haden if he's available keep Williams and there we are.The wildcard for our secondary is how Moore progresses if he turns up to training camp fully soughted and ready to go I think our secondary will be improved vastly on this year.

The thing about Williams is that he required reconstructive surgery to repair his knee. While that doesn't spell out doom and gloom for his career, it is significant. He'll have to work extremely hard and be extremely dedicated to his rehabilitation if he hopes to return to pro football in any timely fashion.

Few guys come back from serious blowouts like that and remain very effective. He didn't just tear an ACL (which is serious in itself)... he blew out a bunch of stuff in his knee.

Hill is not working out. Houston and Grimes would not start on most teams. We can't count on Williams coming back from a major knee injury.

I like Jackson at nickel. And I like Owens' potential. I think if we had a better pass rush Jackson would be be more effective and Owens could develop better. Lacking that pressure hurts young DBs at this level... experience and less time to be in coverage counts for a lot. We absolutely have to bring in a good FA corner. And if Haden is there we should jump all over it, cuz we won't get any better at corner if we don't add the talent.