Finding a pass rush should be the biggest thing we do this offseason.

If look at last season why our Defense was better it was because Abraham was having a ridiculous year getting to the quarterback, then look at that Miami game where we got a lot of pressure and which created a lot of turnovers, then to the Wash game. It's simple if we get a pass rush everyones job is easier and the quarterback makes mistakes.

I believe that we need to find Abe some help in the off season. People are complaining about his decrease in sacks, but fail to look at how many times he has been in double or triple coverage the whole season because nobody else is getting any rush on the qb consistently. I don't care who you have back there if you don't get after the qb then he will shred you to pieces.

Abe is 2nd in the NFL in QB pressures. We do need to improve the pass rush, which starts by getting Peria Jerry back IMO. The biggest problem we have though is that our CBs haven't been able to even do the minimum in pass coverage. We have lockdown CBs, but God forbid that the ball is actually thrown at them or they have to bring down a ball carrier. I guess if our CBs just needed to play two hand touch football they could be All-Pro.

We don't need do draft anyone to help us get pressure on the QB. Jamaal Anderson is on the edge of breaking out. He gets so much pressure and is always so close to getting sacks. He's got loads of talent and just needs a little polishing. With the Petrino year it's really like he's only...wait...I can't do this with a straight face.

We desperately need a big DE. Someone we can start opposite Abe. Sidbury and Biermann have shown some talent but it's possible that they're more of rotational players. And with our D-line rotation there will be plenty of snaps for everyone.

differences between 08 and 09 defense

Jackson replaced by Jerry then Jefferson/Walker this was OK with Jerry but Jefferson/Walker

is questionable. In some situations they are better than Jackson and in others not as good.

Boley replaced by Nicholas Nicholas is equal to the Boley of 08 but no where near the Boley of 07.

Brookings replaced by Peterson I sorry folks this is just a wash

Foxworth replaced by B. Williams also a wash but after Williams went on IR there has been no one to

really step up here Oh Grimes has played his heart out but just not made it.

Irons gone but Do they even miss him??

Hutchins gone but will we ever know??

Milloy Replaced by Coleman @ SS has been a drop off

Coleman replaced by DeCoud @ FS has been a drop off but may get better next year.

But overall not really that much of a change in capability so why haven't they done better?

Well, I know this may not be a very popular opinion, but until we change the scheme and disguise our blitz packages more, we could have Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Micheal Strahan in their primes while rushing Lawrence Taylor off the edge and still not get enough pass rush.

While I'm not suggesting we pass up adding to our pass rush via draft/FA, there is talent there. It's just vastly under-utilized.

We don't need do draft anyone to help us get pressure on the QB. Jamaal Anderson is on the edge of breaking out. He gets so much pressure and is always so close to getting sacks. He's got loads of talent and just needs a little polishing. With the Petrino year it's really like he's only...wait...I can't do this with a straight face.

We desperately need a big DE. Someone we can start opposite Abe. Sidbury and Biermann have shown some talent but it's possible that they're more of rotational players. And with our D-line rotation there will be plenty of snaps for everyone.

Man, my blood pressure was starting to rise as I read your post, then I saw it was Striker and I started laughing to myself. You got me. :lol:

I believe that we need to find Abe some help in the off season. People are complaining about his decrease in sacks, but fail to look at how many times he has been in double or triple coverage the whole season because nobody else is getting any rush on the qb consistently. I don't care who you have back there if you don't get after the qb then he will shred you to pieces.

Abe was our only real pass rusher last season too. We were just fortunate that he was able to stockpile some sacks anyway. This season reflects teams adjustments to the the fact that Abe is the only rusher on our squad that earns respect from opposing offensive linemen.

Jackson replaced by Jerry then Jefferson/Walker this was OK with Jerry but Jefferson/Walker

is questionable. In some situations they are better than Jackson and in others not as good.

Boley replaced by Nicholas Nicholas is equal to the Boley of 08 but no where near the Boley of 07.

Brookings replaced by Peterson I sorry folks this is just a wash

Foxworth replaced by B. Williams also a wash but after Williams went on IR there has been no one to

really step up here Oh Grimes has played his heart out but just not made it.

Irons gone but Do they even miss him??

Hutchins gone but will we ever know??

Milloy Replaced by Coleman @ SS has been a drop off

Coleman replaced by DeCoud @ FS has been a drop off but may get better next year.

But overall not really that much of a change in capability so why haven't they done better?

In retrospect maybe we should have kept Von Hutchins. He could not do any worse than Grimes or Houston.

You are absolutely right, sir. If we had some semblance of a consistent pass rush, it would make our CBs better....even though we DO definitely need to find some taller and better CBs, either through FA or the draft.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've screamed, "GET HIM, GET HIM" at my TV screen, when the opposing QB is standing back there in the pocket for 5, 6, 7 seconds, absolutely un-molested. I mean, these guys got to this level because they're good at throwing a football, and they will pick you apart, if given THAT much time.

So yeah, PASS RUSHER (DE).....CB.....O-line.....and we're automatically better!!! JMO.

Agreed, After Jerry went down it was all down hill. With Jerry Abe was effective. I would like to see us get a big DT, like Cody.

Well, I know this may not be a very popular opinion, but until we change the scheme and disguise our blitz packages more, we could have Reggie White, Bruce Smith, Micheal Strahan in their primes while rushing Lawrence Taylor off the edge and still not get enough pass rush.

While I'm not suggesting we pass up adding to our pass rush via draft/FA, there is talent there. It's just vastly under-utilized.

haha that would be awesome. but i think your taking that a little too far. those guys had great talent at getting to the qb. even if our scheme is crap(which it is), those guys had the skill set to overcome that. they would still get to the qb. just saying..

If look at last season why our Defense was better it was because Abraham was having a ridiculous year getting to the quarterback, then look at that Miami game where we got a lot of pressure and which created a lot of turnovers, then to the Wash game. It's simple if we get a pass rush everyones job is easier and the quarterback makes mistakes.

This is a case of which came first the chicken or the egg. Or in this case, the pass rush or the pass coverage. In other words does good pass coverage produces sacks or does does a good pass rush produces good pass coverage and interceptions.

I completely agree. Our loss to New York Giants makes that painfully obvious. Look at all the PERFECT long throws Eli was able to make when he was given time to set up and make the throw. Last time we had a pass rush to put constant pressure on QB was against Washington. A couple of weeks later Jason Campbell had a 300+ yard game against New Orleans and almost beat the saints because Washington's OL gave him time.

Much harder schedule (counting the byes of other teams--and most of them were playoff teams, our bye, and a general upgrade on the teams we played)

Edited by rounz

I'm not ready to write Abe off yet I think with Jerry back healthy and playing a full season with Jerry Babs and Abe up front with the possibility of adding someone like Richard Seymour now there is instant pass rush right there throw in Sidbury and Biermann for situational pass rush we'll be fine.