Hutson Mason has set up commitment date. ***update***

SacFalcFan

Hutson Mason will be committing Monday December 21st and it will start at 7PM. It's down to clemson, miss state, and georgia.

Today's update: Mason called all 3 schools and he committed to the school of choice. He wanted to keep it a secret, but it got out. Instead of a live announcement on Monday, he is shooting his commitment video for inside the huddle next Tuesday on CSS. Watch it. I have a good feeling about this.

Yes I understand it's not all about the numbers... but this kid set all sorts of passing records and he has more than adequate height. Any thoughts on why he wasn't moraea highly recruited??

he had a bad camp at the beginning of last year, but he improved a ton during the summer.. by his 3rd camp guys were talking about how much he has improved and how great he was doing. Then he had an awesome year. He is a late bloomer and he had a great year. He will be in two allstar games in the next month so we will see him against some other top players. He is a player we have for competition and depth and he is a need for us this class. We can't go into the year with just 2 qbs.

Lassiter quarterback Hutson Mason has made up his mind on his college choice and he’ll make an announcement tomorrow.

But the world won’t know what he decided until Tuesday night.

Mason told me he is informing the coaches of the lucky team tonight (Wednesday). He’ll reveal that choice to Rivals.com’s Jamie Newberg tomorrow (Thursday) afternoon while taping the show “In the Huddle” for CSS-TV. But Mason has made an agreement with Newberg and CSS not to go public with the decision until the show airs Tuesday night. So you can expect to hear the news from me right around the same time. It’s between Georgia, Clemson and Mississippi State.

This announcement thing has kind of taken on a life of its own for Mason, who set the single-season state passing record this year with 4,522 yards and 54 touchdowns.

At one point he was considering making the announcement on TV at the U.S. Army High School All-America Bowl in San Antonio, Texas, on Jan. 9. It was at the behest of producers of a reunion show for the reality series of which he was a part, “The Rise.” Thankfully, Mason decided he didn’t want to wait that long.

Then he was telling me as late as Wednesday afternoon he was going to do it Monday at 7:30 p.m. at a Fox Sports Grill in Atlanta. It wasn’t until I texted him Wednesday evening to get the exact location of the restaurant that he informed me of this latest wrinkle.

“The coaching staff of the school I chose wanted me to let them know so I figured I’d go ahead and do it this way,” said Mason, clearly a little frazzled by all the twists and turns.

What do I think?

I wish Hutson would just pick up the phone and call me after he informed the school of his choice, but that’s not the way it works these days. Everything is a negotiated deal it seems. And I’m not sure if they can keep his choice quiet that long, especially in these mouthy days of the Internet. But that is these kids’ prerogatives and I don’t blame them for getting a little attention and having some fun with it.

As for a prediction, I’d say forecasts appear favorable for Georgia. Mason emerged genuinely giddy from that official visit with the Bulldogs this past weekend. He has taken only a one-day unofficial to Clemson since. And while he said “it was great” of that trip and the unofficial visit to Mississippi State the week before, I just didn’t detect the same passion I did post-Athens. He says he eliminated FSU last week so it’s coming down to those three. Well, I guess he could surprise us all and go with one of his early offers from Western Michigan or UAB, but I doubt it.

In any case, it has been really enjoyable watching Mason’s recruitment go from Pink Floyd’s “Is There Anybody Out There?” to Jiminy Cricket’s “When You Wish Upon a Star.”

I’m sure he’ll be really happy to have it all behind him. I will, too.

how so? nothing about it says it's clemson..

I just put myself in his shoes. Why go to Georgia where they just redshirted a 4-star AND a 5-star quarterback?

If I am him, I go to Clemson where I expect to beat out Taj Boyd. Dabo is the offensive play caller and he loves the spread shotgun passing game. That is right down Hutson Mason's alley.

Wouldnt you do the same if you didnt have a bias either way? If it wasnt for the playing time issue and crowded nature of the position, then I would say UGA hands down.

I just put myself in his shoes. Why go to Georgia where they just redshirted a 4-star AND a 5-star quarterback?

If I am him, I go to Clemson where I expect to beat out Taj Boyd. Dabo is the offensive play caller and he loves the spread shotgun passing game. That is right down Hutson Mason's alley.

Wouldnt you do the same if you didnt have a bias either way? If it wasnt for the playing time issue and crowded nature of the position, then I would say UGA hands down.

You said it was obvious and it's not IMO. First off would you want to play for cmr who has put a number of qbs into the nfl or dabo? Nothing against dabo, but he doesn't have close to the resume of dealing with qbs as cmr does. You also mention aaron murray and mettenberger as being redshirted and that is a good point, but they have kyle parker and boyd and kyle isn't leaving anytime soon since he is a redshirt freshman. That really is a push since he will have to compete in either situation, but with clemson he is going to have to go against an entrenched starter with uga he can compete from day 1 with redshirt freshmen who haven't proved anything yet. Clemson's qb situation isn't anymore desirable than uga's.

Uhh, Clemson isn't lacking for quality at QB. With Korn transferring, they need depth in case of injuries. They just redshirted the guy ranked right behind that 5 star from UGA, and played a redshirt freshman at QB this past season.

Tahj Boyd was a 5-star QB himself on Scout, and a very high 4-star on rivals (right behind Murray on both sites). Boyd was a consensus top 5 QB last year. He earned MVP honors at All-American game last season.

While Mason has been very impressive this season, he is not even to be found on the top 50 QBs coming out this season on either site. Does that mean he can't beat out Boyd? No, but it's not likely right out of the gate. He's a late bloomer who might have those abilities, but there is a reason teams were hesitant on offering him.

Plus, even if he does manage to beat out Boyd, he still has Kyle Parker, who has a season full of experience running the offense. Parker was a four star QB who was generally among the top 10 pro-style QBs in 2008. There's hints of him entering the MLB draft after this baseball season (He's a Junior in baseball), but no credible MLB scout has mentioned this. I can't imagine MLB teams salivating over a 5'11-6'0 power hitter with no real position, who strikes out a lot and doesn't walk often.

Dabo is NOT the offensive play caller, and while he does love the spread shotgun, it was clearly like fitting a square peg in a round hole this season. When Clemson went with that offense, it was clear they did not have the personnel to run it. They operated much better out of I-form, Dual TE sets, and Pro Sets, which is what the Offensive Coordinator Napier wants to do.

Kyle Parker sucks..

Mason could end up at UGA, but it wouldnt be a smart move. Its like all those big time running backs who go to USC as the 5th string 5 star running back. It makes no sense at all, but it happens all the time. Half of them transfer out..

If its me, I go to Clemson where im sure I can play.

Uhh, Clemson isn't lacking for quality at QB. With Korn transferring, they need depth in case of injuries. They just redshirted the guy ranked right behind that 5 star from UGA, and played a redshirt freshman at QB this past season.

Tahj Boyd was a 5-star QB himself on Scout, and a very high 4-star on rivals (right behind Murray on both sites). Boyd was a consensus top 5 QB last year. He earned MVP honors at All-American game last season.

While Mason has been very impressive this season, he is not even to be found on the top 50 QBs coming out this season on either site. Does that mean he can't beat out Boyd? No, but it's not likely right out of the gate. He's a late bloomer who might have those abilities, but there is a reason teams were hesitant on offering him.

Plus, even if he does manage to beat out Boyd, he still has Kyle Parker, who has a season full of experience running the offense. Parker was a four star QB who was generally among the top 10 pro-style QBs in 2008. There's hints of him entering the MLB draft after this baseball season (He's a Junior in baseball), but no credible MLB scout has mentioned this. I can't imagine MLB teams salivating over a 5'11-6'0 power hitter with no real position, who strikes out a lot and doesn't walk often.

Dabo is NOT the offensive play caller, and while he does love the spread shotgun, it was clearly like fitting a square peg in a round hole this season. When Clemson went with that offense, it was clear they did not have the personnel to run it. They operated much better out of I-form, Dual TE sets, and Pro Sets, which is what the Offensive Coordinator Napier wants to do.

very well said.

Kyle Parker sucks..

Mason could end up at UGA, but it wouldnt be a smart move. Its like all those big time running backs who go to USC as the 5th string 5 star running back. It makes no sense at all, but it happens all the time. Half of them transfer out..

Other than Andrew Luck, there wasn't a more consistent freshman QB this season than Parker, but yeah, he sucks. I guess he's no Jaybo Shaw :lol::lol:

Kyle Parker sucks..

falconlord kyle parker does not suck.. he did a very good job for a redshirt freshman in his first year starting.. would you like to compare his stats as a freshman and josh nesbitt by chance? you don't want to do that.

regarding the depth chart they are very similiar for both teams so i don't see an advantage for either team regarding mason. we only have 2 qbs on campus right now with logan moving to wr..

Kyle Parker sucks..

You're out of your mind. You only say Kyle Parker sucks cuz he's Clemson's starting QB. He was far better than what was expected... and as clemumo82 said, only Andrew Luck (a future top 5 draft pick) was more consistent as a freshman. That includes Matt Barkley, who the media drooled all over. I'm pretty sure he'll be a lot better than Cullen Harper.

And yeah, you don't wanna try comparing Nesbitt or Shaw to him. :lol:

UGA will redshirt Mason and let him develop behind Murray and Mettenberger. Those are the only other QBs that UGA has. Logan Gray is being moved to WR and I wouldn't be surprised if he transfers. Mason might not get a shot at the field until he's a senior, but in the process he will have plenty of time to learn the offense and develop at the position.

Figured that. Hard to beat out UGA for a GA kid unless there's a major circumstance helping out, and there wasn't one in this case.

that is what everyone who knows about hutson's commitment has said regarding his uga commitment. what ticks me off is chip towers. hutson asked a few sites and chip to keep his commitment silent, but chip towers how didn't do that and instead posted it. in case you want to see it and maybe it's a true surprise, he has a segment taped on inside the huddle next tuesday on css.