Finn on IR, Bergeron promoted, Swinton signed to practice

Proto  Man

FLOWERY BRANCH, GA -- The Atlanta Falcons today placed wide receiver Brian Finneran on injured reserve, signed wide receiver Troy Bergeron from the practice squad to the 53-man roster and signed wide receiver James Swinton to the practice squad.

Finneran was placed on injured reserve after suffering a knee injury in a Week 14 contest against New Orleans. This season, he contributed with 11 receptions for 111 yards and in nine NFL seasons, has totaled 219 receptions for 2,927 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Bergeron, 6-2, 195 pounds, was originally signed by the Falcons as a free agent on May 10, 2009 and was inked to the team’s practice squad following training camp. On three previous occasions this season, he was elevated to the 53-man roster and he saw his first career NFL action against Philadelphia in Week 13.

Swinton, 6-0, 178 pounds, is a native of Tucker, Georgia and a graduate of Auburn University. In his Tigers career, he caught five receptions for 53 yards. As a senior at Tucker High School, he earned Georgia 4A All-State Honorable Mention honors and was an Atlanta Journal-Constitution Georgia Top 50 selection.

Do you think Finn will be back for football next season? Or will he retire.

I have no idea, I don't even know what the injury is, didn't even realize it happened during the game. If it's not something having to be reconstructed, I'd say he comes back. Otherwise, he'd probably retire.

Swinton 5 catches in his college career...wow...I bet he never thought he would make any squad in any league. Think he is a personnel filler...

5 catches his whole college career??? We must have hit rock bottom on players. What happened to that WR out of Clemson (Aaron Kelly) we had in the preseason?? He must have really sucked if he didn't get called back and we get some guy with 5 catches. Oh well it's just the practice squad.

You would have thought we could have brought in someone like Brandon Coutu for the rest of the season and give Bryant some competition next summer.