10 observations from the game

Ice1974

1. notice how everyone on offense got in on the act, thats what we were doing in the early part of the season, but seemed to go away from it in the middle part of the season, like to see Mughelli catch at least 1 pass a game, we ran a screen, Mularkey had a good game plan, but when it came to something outside it....he does the WILDCAT REVERSE and another Snelling zag route????

2. Owens seems...so far through 3 games, like the real deal, yea he got beat deep , but made a good recovery, in only his 3rd start, he looks good

3. terrible officating, that 2nd down spot was just a phantom call, holding calls, non holding calls, PI, I keep reading about a NON-CALL ON BUSH's 3RD and 19 catch, what was that?,

we all know about the Grimes one, ALL YEAR, all we have been saying about our corners....GET YOUR HEAD AROUND, one finally does it....PI

4. Nice to have a reliable kicker, Matt where were you all year long, you could just tell the guy still has some ooomph in his leg, the way the ball came off it, way better than Elam

5. I dont get any of BVG's blitz packages, I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND why we drop the DE into coverage, I saw it at least 4 times yesterday, and how many times have we seen it done, and the other team gets a big play, Abe on Shockey, JA98 on Shockey, Sidbury on Bush, etc etc etc, it hasnt worked, stop trying it

6. As much as DeCoud has been a surprise this year, he has still been shaky at times, hopefully year 2 to year 3 will make another huge leap.

7. Does anyone have any answers on where to go for a pass rush next year, Bierman is not a Patrick Kearney type, I think he is more like a Brady Smith(but with a bigger motor) do we draft one, sign one, trade for one???

do we dump Abe,??? I think that is our biggest concern for next year, because......

8. I think our secondary will be ok next year, we bring back Williams, we have Owens, we sign a big name FA, thats 3 qualilty corners, then we still have Grimes, Jackson, (trade houston) and with Moore coming along with DeCoud... its not that bad... just depends on the FA signing or trade for a CB

9. I honestly dont think Smith will do anything with coordinators in the offseason....which worries me, Mularkey is at least serviceable, when given the players, .............but if Mularkey is forced to match wits, he shoots himself in the foot, but BVG is another story..................

10. you really gotta feel for Blank(and I dont mean in the billionaire, sitting on top of the world way) more of the....you can just tell he puts his heart into this franchise, city and players way,

he truly wants everyone to have a great experience and is emotional about the team, that look on the sideline after 4th and 2, there should have been a bubble over his head that said "what did I get myself into"

on that note, I still HOPE for a playoff run, I still want the team to go 9-7 , and at least break the curse

and go into next year with more depth, better coaching, and using possibly Tony G's last year as a great story that the media will jump on

Edited by Ice1974

1. notice how everyone on offense got in on the act, thats what we were doing in the early part of the season, but seemed to go away from it in the middle part of the season, like to see Mughelli catch at least 1 pass a game, we ran a screen, Mularkey had a good game plan, but when it came to something outside it....he does the WILDCAT REVERSE and another Snelling zag route????

2. Owens seems...so far through 3 games, like the real deal, yea he got beat deep , but made a good recovery, in only his 3rd start, he looks good

3. terrible officating, that 2nd down spot was just a phantom call, holding calls, non holding calls, PI, I keep reading about a NON-CALL ON BUSH's 3RD and 19 catch, what was that?,

we all know about the Grimes one, ALL YEAR, all we have been saying about our corners....GET YOUR HEAD AROUND, one finally does it....PI

4. Nice to have a reliable kicker, Matt where were you all year long, you could just tell the guy still has some ooomph in his leg, the way the ball came off it, way better than Elam

5. I dont get any of BVG's blitz packages, I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND why we drop the DE into coverage, I saw it at least 4 times yesterday, and how many times have we seen it done, and the other team gets a big play, Abe on Shockey, JA98 on Shockey, Sidbury on Bush, etc etc etc, it hasnt worked, stop trying it

6. As much as DeCoud has been a surprise this year, he has still been shaky at times, hopefully year 2 to year 3 will make another huge leap.

7. Does anyone have any answers on where to go for a pass rush next year, Bierman is not a Patrick Kearney type, I think he is more like a Brady Smith(but with a bigger motor) do we draft one, sign one, trade for one???

do we dump Abe,??? I think that is our biggest concern for next year, because......

8. I think our secondary will be ok next year, we bring back Williams, we have Owens, we sign a big name FA, thats 3 qualilty corners, then we still have Grimes, Jackson, (trade houston) and with Moore coming along with DeCoud... its not that bad... just depends on the FA signing or trade for a CB

9. I honestly dont think Smith will do anything with coordinators in the offseason....which worries me, Mularkey is at least serviceable, when given the players, .............but if Mularkey is forced to match wits, he shoots himself in the foot, but BVG is another story..................

10. you really gotta feel for Blank(and I dont mean in the billionaire, sitting on top of the world way) more of the....you can just tell he puts his heart into this franchise, city and players way,

he truly wants everyone to have a great experience and is emotional about the team, that look on the sideline after 4th and 2, there should have been a bubble over his head that said "what did I get myself into"

on that note, I still HOPE for a playoff run, I still want the team to go 9-7 , and at least break the curse

and go into next year with more depth, better coaching, and using possibly Tony G's last year as a great story that the media will jump on

I don't know if the PI was the right call or not, but it definetly isn't as clear as you Falcon fans are making it out to be. If you look at the camera view in front of the players, there is a ton of contact from Grimes with a little forearm action while the ball is in the air, BEFORE he turns his head. It's about as close as it gets. My guess is, if the ball is completed to Meachem it's a nocall, the ref waited to long, which is where the issue comes in.

I don't know if the PI was the right call or not, but it definetly isn't as clear as you Falcon fans are making it out to be. If you look at the camera view in front of the players, there is a ton of contact from Grimes with a little forearm action while the ball is in the air, BEFORE he turns his head. It's about as close as it gets. My guess is, if the ball is completed to Meachem it's a nocall, the ref waited to long, which is where the issue comes in.

None of these are certain, I agree. There always is some contact, and there was contact by Grimes. However, generally you see PI when the defender doesn't get his head around, or does very late and swats at the ball. You hardly ever see it when the defender turns and actually makes the catch, because it, to them, de facto proves he was playing the ball.

By the letter of the rule, I think it could go either way. By how I've always seen it called throughout watching, I've never seen a play (without blatant push down/off) in which the defender turns and intercepts the ball and is called with PI.

Close game either way, and the Falcons had two chances to win it at the end, so it's their own fault regardless.

This is the way I viewed that play. If the refs are going to follow the absolute letter of the law on pass interference they could call it on virtually every defended pass. My interpretation of the way it has been called all of the years I have watched the NFL is that it will and should be flagged if the defender contacts the receiver in order to gain an advantage or just blatantly keep the pass from being completed. If the defender is right there with the receiver, has his head turned towards the incoming pass and makes incidental contact while making a play on the ball himself it should not be called.

Grimes did all of the things I mentioned in the latter part of the above, so in my mind it was not pass interference.

This is the way I viewed that play. If the refs are going to follow the absolute letter of the law on pass interference they could call it on virtually every defended pass. My interpretation of the way it has been called all of the years I have watched the NFL is that it will and should be flagged if the defender contacts the receiver in order to gain an advantage or just blatantly keep the pass from being completed. If the defender is right there with the receiver, has his head turned towards the incoming pass and makes incidental contact while making a play on the ball himself it should not be called.

Grimes did all of the things I mentioned in the latter part of the above, so in my mind it was not pass interference.

heres my 2 on this.

Grimes was running at full speed with the receiver, and GRIMES??? all 5'6 170lbs of him was able to push a taller heavier receiver of his route at full speed???? come on, he played the ball and once its in the air its a 50-50 ball, and he got his 50 in

and if that was called, then the Booker non-call should have been called, and if that wasnt called, then the other Grimes PI SHOULDNT have been called...............thats whats frustrating

I think everybody pretty much agrees that the ref's didn't beat the Falcons. The Falcons ultimately beat the Falcons.

That being said, there were too many inconsistencies with the PI calls/non calls. Go one way or the other, stop giving one team a pass and bird dogging the other side. It's like in the MLB, an ump will give a cy young pitcher more discretion because he "is a veteran who meant to put it right there" vs. joe shmoe who gets a much smaller strike zone. Pick one and go with it.

My 2 cents.

I think everybody pretty much agrees that the ref's didn't beat the Falcons. The Falcons ultimately beat the Falcons.

That being said, there were too many inconsistencies with the PI calls/non calls. Go one way or the other, stop giving one team a pass and bird dogging the other side. It's like in the MLB, an ump will give a cy young pitcher more discretion because he "is a veteran who meant to put it right there" vs. joe shmoe who gets a much smaller strike zone. Pick one and go with it.

My 2 cents.

Dead on the mark there blooz. I had this same conversation with a pal of mine today.

If it's Champ Bailey making that play the flag stays in the ref's pocket.

It is what it is.

My 2 cents.

yea, and I dont think those calls will ever go away, because one line judge will see it one way, and another...another way, no replay challenge will ever fix that,

I saw on the Saint's board that they seem to think the refs got all the calls right all day long. Talk about denial.

And they kept saying that he was pushing him out of bounds. He was a good 5 feet from being out of bounds. If this happened between the hashes, would they still say that?

Also, he never raised his arm above Meachem's waist, he looked back for the ball most of the time it was in the air and everybody, I MEAN EVERYBODY, on all the national networks are saying it was a blown call. Most of these are former players.

Just like there is holding on every play, there are some that you call and some you don't. That was a good defensive play with not enough there to make that call for PI.

What about the Illegal Contact in the second half? I don't remember the players but the receiver initiated the contact and pushed the defender back until they were pass 5 yards. The defender got pushed out of the play and was the one flagged.

Well, on that DE in coverage comment.

That works...... IF you get pressure quick. Then the QB makes a hurried throw into an area he thinks is clear but has a fatboy squating in it.

But when they get 5 seconds, instead they lick their chops and drop it over their heads.

Our DE zone blitzes stink. The only one that has worked all year was the one where JA98 was sitting in the perfect spot and batted a ball going to Olsen for the Bears.

I think that is the only one I have seen accomplish it's goal.

The rest have been highlight reels of Abe getting schooled out in the flats. Or JA98 about 10 yards behind Boss, huffing and puffing trying to catch up.

We shouldn't be using that blitz. Not yet.

It seems like it should work with someone as quick as Peterson or Nichols getting after the QB, but it hasn't.:(

yea, and I dont think those calls will ever go away, because one line judge will see it one way, and another...another way, no replay challenge will ever fix that,

Now that you bring that up, my buddy is a college ref, and talking to him over the years, there's a lot to that. It's natural for different people to see things differently, but he has said several times that he gets p i z z e d at certain other refs who are in his words "too chickens**t" to have the nuts to make a PI call and anger a home crowd.

Not that they are rigging a game, but they go all nancyboy when it comes to making or not making calls in tight game situations and it can cause rifts within a crew. My buddy once threw a flag on an obvious PI call that the other guy close to the play didn't call, and apparently was punished for overstepping his bounds. I don't exactly understand the details, but I guess you're not supposed to override the guy on the other side of the field.

In other words, the individual refs don't always call the same game the same way.