Let's Talk 2010 Draft

Radiohead

I know many of you are high on CB Joe Haden out of Florida for our first round pick, but simply put... NO. This kid is good, but #1 I don't want to waste first round pick on a corner and #2 CBs usually take a while to adapt to the NFL.

If I had my choice for FIRST ROUNDER, Derrick Morgan DE out of GT. This kid is awesome and has a great motor. If he is off the board, which he probably will be, Pierre-Paul out of USF is a great pass-rusher too.

For the SECOND ROUND (we traded Gonzo for 2011 2nd round pick, not 2010). I say we go after Jermaine Gresham Oklahoma TE. Yes, he got hurt, but that is his only injury and it will probably drop him into 2nd round. He would be a ******* steal. Let's face it, Gonzo has about 3-4 years MAX. He can teach Gresham the ways.

I know many of you are high on CB Joe Haden out of Florida for our first round pick, but simply put... NO. This kid is good, but #1 I don't want to waste first round pick on a corner and #2 CBs usually take a while to adapt to the NFL.

If I had my choice for FIRST ROUNDER, Derrick Morgan DE out of GT. This kid is awesome and has a great motor. If he is off the board, which he probably will be, Pierre-Paul out of USF is a great pass-rusher too.

For the SECOND ROUND (we traded Gonzo for 2011 2nd round pick, not 2010). I say we go after Jermaine Gresham Oklahoma TE. Yes, he got hurt, but that is his only injury and it will probably drop him into 2nd round. He would be a ******* steal. Let's face it, Gonzo has about 3-4 years MAX. He can teach Gresham the ways.

Like the thoughts. Completley agree about value of Cbs in RD1. Love Morgan, hope he is around but doubt it. I'm not sure I would pick Pierre-Paul in 1st rd if Morgan not available. Would consider Hardy (Ole Miss) or Griffin (USC) or Off Tackle in that spot instead of P-P.

Wish you were right about Gonzo trade but this is straight off this website. "23 (apr) - Acquired TE Tony Gonzalez from Kansas City in exchange for a second-round pick in the 2010 draft".

http://www.atlantafalcons.com/News/Official_Transactions/2009_Transactions.aspx

He was traded for a 2nd Rd this year not 2011.

You don't want to waste a 1st round pick on a corner? What does that even mean? It's one of our biggest needs, if there is someone good there it makes perfect sense to pick one. Plus Joe Haden may not even be available when we pick.

And if we pick in the top 5-10 we should have a shot at Derrick Morgan. Otherwise there's no way we will have a shot at him. And I can't help but laugh at your reasoning for not drafting a corner in round 1. It was "CB's usually take a while to adapt to the NFL." Well Pierre-Paul is raw as **** and will take at least two years to develop and produce if not a little longer than that. That's good stuff.

And we don't have a 2nd rounder this year, it was traded for this year not 2011. And Gresham is an injury concern, doesn't block well at all and has far too many drops for me to consider him one of the best TE's in this class. Even if he was healthy I wouldn't want him.

You don't want to waste a 1st round pick on a corner? What does that even mean? It's one of our biggest needs, if there is someone good there it makes perfect sense to pick one. Plus Joe Haden may not even be available when we pick.

And if we pick in the top 5-10 we should have a shot at Derrick Morgan. Otherwise there's no way we will have a shot at him. And I can't help but laugh at your reasoning for not drafting a corner in round 1. It was "CB's usually take a while to adapt to the NFL." Well Pierre-Paul is raw as **** and will take at least two years to develop and produce if not a little longer than that. That's good stuff.

And we don't have a 2nd rounder this year, it was traded for this year not 2011. And Gresham is an injury concern, doesn't block well at all and has far too many drops for me to consider him one of the best TE's in this class. Even if he was healthy I wouldn't want him.

I dont mind taking a CB in the first, I just feel like we need a Vet to step in so given that i think the 1st could serve better value on the dline or Oline, mainly dline. I do agree that Pierre Paul is not a 1st round pick at all based on the fact that he doesnt have 1st round experience.

I would love a veteran too, just depends on what we are able to get. I doubt we are going to be able to bring in Robinson or Rogers, but I thought the same thing about Turner so maybe I will be proven wrong again.

I was mainly pointing out that if there is a corner we like more than any other player there's no reason not to draft him. I was also pointing out that he doesn't want to wait to develop a corner and then mentioned one of the more raw DE's that will go in the first 2-3 rounds as a potential 1st round pick, potentially as an immediate impact player.

I would love a veteran too, just depends on what we are able to get. I doubt we are going to be able to bring in Robinson or Rogers, but I thought the same thing about Turner so maybe I will be proven wrong again.

I was mainly pointing out that if there is a corner we like more than any other player there's no reason not to draft him. I was also pointing out that he doesn't want to wait to develop a corner and then mentioned one of the more raw DE's that will go in the first 2-3 rounds as a potential 1st round pick, potentially as an immediate impact player.

HOnestly even if we didnt sign a Vet CB, I still think we get better value addressing the Dline or Oline. I guess i am just big on the Dline. I also think we have a fighters chance at getting Morgan if we cant turn this thing around and run the table. I think that because Morgan is not a good option for 3-4 teams that may increase our chances of him slippling a little if we end up in the early to mid teens. The QB's coming out too may help with us acquiring him.

HOnestly even if we didnt sign a Vet CB, I still think we get better value addressing the Dline or Oline. I guess i am just big on the Dline. I also think we have a fighters chance at getting Morgan if we cant turn this thing around and run the table. I think that because Morgan is not a good option for 3-4 teams that may increase our chances of him slippling a little if we end up in the early to mid teens. The QB's coming out too may help with us acquiring him.

I am all for signing a veteran CB...and not just another Brian Williams. I am thinking more along the lines of Carlos Rogers.

You may be right, we may get more value on the defensive line in year one, but if you look at CB's taken in the 1st round, they have a pretty good history. It may take them longer to develop, but a ton of really good CB's have been taken in the 1st round the last 6-7 years. Sure, there were some busts, but it suprisingly positive at that position.

I think we can bring in pretty much anyone we want now, before we didn't have a QB and the team's future was bleak. Now the team's future, with everyone coming back healthy next year, is very bright.

I'm not against drafting Joe Haden, but I'd grab Perrish Cox later although Cox can easily end up a fringe 1st round pick. I agree Pierre-Paul is raw, but someone willing to take a chance on him with a late 1st rounder won't be disappointed. He's big with very long arms and has great athleticism for the position. Pair those with great intangibles and a top notch motor and once you get him with an NFL DL coach he will be a monster. I see him as a young Jevon Kearse. I also think you have Derrick Morgan going too high, but that's just my speculation on how the draft will fall and I could be wrong.

I'd be interested in your opinion on Brandon Brinkley, the senior CB from Houston. He's a CB with very good size (6 feet tall, 185 lbs) and good speed (4.45 40) and is the leader of his secondary and a very good tackler. A standout game from this season was against Mississippi State when he had 7 solo tackles, 3 pass breakups, and 2 interceptions. On the season he had 73 tackles, 3 TFL, 2 FF, 12 passes broken up, 4 INTs (1 TD). Keep in mind that opposing teams favored throwing away from Brinkley since he was the only returning starter in the secondary and a good CB, although they did not give him the Nnamdi treatment, and he still produced those #s. I think he could be an Asante Samuel type of find in the later rounds of the draft.

Brinkley has also been a consistent playmaker, which I find to be very important.

As a sophomore he had: 29 tackles, 10 PBUs, and 2 INTs.

As a junior he had: 74 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 15 PBUs, and 4 INTs (1 TD).

A big increase in production as a junior CB starting, but he followed it up with a near identical season as a senior: 73 tackles, 3 TFL, 2 FF, 12 PBUs, and 4 INTs (1 TD).

Yes the C-USA, which is the conference that Houston plays is, isn't quite as strong as the Big 12 (Cox) or the SEC (Haden), but as we have seen good CBs can come from smaller conferences -- DRC is only the most recent example.

It would be insane to not draft a CB in round 1. CB is our first and second biggest need, because we dont have any of starting caliber at this point. Ive posted this at least 5 times and people keep ignoring the fact that Carolos Rogers DOES NOT have 6 years of NFL experience and he will not be an unrestricted free agent come March 2010. So, if that Falcons or any other team wants Rogers, they will likely have to give up draft picks and players.

The above mention facts about Rogers are the downside of not having a CBA and the uncapped 2010 season. Dunta Robinson and Bodden are the only real CB of note that meets all the qualifications to be an unrestricted free agent in 2010. Falcons already dont have a 2nd and no excess of talent at any positions so they can trade players. This is why I think we need two CB out of the draft.

Edited by isproab

When people say we have "no shot" at Derrick Morgan, I just think of The Redskins grabbing Brian Orakpo at 13.... (which is around where I think we end up picking)

Orakpo was almost certainly a top 8 pick who could play both 4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB. Morgan is strictly a 4-3 DE coming into a league where the 3-4 is becoming dominant.

We definitely have a better shot at Morgan than many people think.

I think we keep our 1st round pick and grab one of the "big three"..... DE Derrick Morgan, CB Joe Haden, or OT Anthony Davis.

Then we will find a way back into the 2nd and grab another good player at a position of need.

i think we go hard at the top 2 DEs and the top 2 corners. Morgan and Hardy would be great pick ups and i think strong possibilities because of the deepness in the draft. Hardy would be great to pair back with Jerry. Yea people say he is injury prone and takes plays off but why not rotate him with Abe/Biermann/Sid?? That would keep him fresh like it has kept Abe fresh. He is a very good player, can play both the pass and the run. But if not i wouldn't mind getting an 'incomplete' DE in the third like a Brandon Graham, Corey Wootton, Pierre-Paul, or Austen Lane. Yea i highly doubt they would wait until the 3rd/4th to get a DE again like with Sidbury but if we can get a guy like Haden/Warren/Cox/Dowling in the first ( i think we can trade back and get another 3rd from a team that wants to move up if we go this route because of the lack of the need of corners lately ) Being that Haden is the only 1st round lock so far, he will probably be gone by our pick so we can move back if we get a CB first and get another 3rd round pick to possibly trade up and pair to get back in the second round.

Ultimately, once we address our cornerback issue i think we will have plenty of room to move