Atlanta: What's up with your sports radio guys?

Not usually a thread starter in TATF but this was ridiculous... and I am venting

I am not from Atlanta, so I don't hear these stations all the time. BUT after the game I switched on one of the AM stations I hear people mention on here hoping to hear at least an honest discussion of the game. I was shocked and the nonsense I heard. I don't mind if the talk is negative at points but DEAR GOD these guys were morons; and some of the so called fans were not much better... i heard 3 calls: the calls took about 30 minutes

the first guy was talking all kinds of crap about ryan and turner not playing and how they need to be on the field. At this point i expected to hear the hosts defend the team.. OH no that was not it. THey went on to discuss how average matt ryan is and that he does't have much potential. But Matt Stafford had a lot more potential and would be a lot greater than matt ryan.. they said fans need to stop predicting how he will develop in the future (ryan)

Next caller said they were morons (thank you whoever you are) and that they were doing the same thing with stafford by predicting how great he would be... they told him to shut up basically and the call was over

then there was the bring in Shockley caller.... :rolleyes:

My point is this: When i went to the carolina game i did the same thing (listened to carolina sports radio guys) and the announcers were defending delhomme. Fans called in bashing another fan who was talking trash about delhomme. Let me say that again: THE Hosts were defending DELHOMME!!!

why would the home team radio station trash a guy who didn't even play in the game?

(Ok. i know this thread may not make much sense so carry on... i havent been to sleep since the game because my flight was delayed..)

It is just a disgrace, that a city this size, has the quality (lack of) of talk radio that it has.

I thought it was a national phenomenon, but what your saying seems to disprove that.

If someone could come to Atlanta, and start-up an intelligent sports or political talk show, they

could blow the market out.

I am not sure which one of the two radio stations you listened to, but on one of them it is even

hard to even hear any information about the professional sports teams in Atlanta, other than

the Braves. Most of the time it is all about them Dawgs!

He's absolutely right, Im here in Savannah and I tried to listen to 790the zone yesterday and I heard these same terds saying the exact same thing. I had to check the sidebar to see exactly what show I was listening to. Its ususally Brandon Adams and some other guy but that was not the case yesterday. I even heard one of the guys say that he's been in the city for about 3 years and he roots for atlanta when they are doing good but he is a redskins fan. They were bashing Ryan saying last year is basically his ceiling.

Edited by danvillefalcon

If someone could come to Atlanta, and start-up an intelligent sports or political talk show, they

could blow the market out.

I'm not sure how much of the market would recognize intelligence. Judging how people here react to Sirius NFL, if someone says something bad about the Falcons, the guy's an idiot. If he praises the Falcons for no good reason, then they are the only one that gets it.

Rational discussion just doesn't seem to sell, because it will eventually say what people don't want to hear. Oversimplification of course.

790 sucks. 680 aint much better. I agree with the guy that thinks they both should be renamed SEC/ACC Football Radio. I follow the pros. We need a Pro Sports station in ATL. FM would be nice. Not planning on getting satellite plus I prefer local radio cause they have a better scoop on the local teams.

Yeah, but for football, you can't beat Sirius. Their knuckleheads are better than our best. It's not Falcons focused, but neither is the local stuff unless someone gets arrested, in which case you might as well listen to rightwing radio. Amazing how fast these munchkins can get up on those high horses.

I'm not sure how much of the market would recognize intelligence. Judging how people here react to Sirius NFL, if someone says something bad about the Falcons, the guy's an idiot. If he praises the Falcons for no good reason, then they are the only one that gets it.

Rational discussion just doesn't seem to sell, because it will eventually say what people don't want to hear. Oversimplification of course.

Infidel, I think there would be a market here for intelligent talk radio. For some reason listeners

have always had to accept less in Atlanta, and I'm not sure why. When I first came to Atlanta (30 yrs ago),

I covered sports for one of the top rated stations in Atlanta. I did it by default, because no one else

wanted to. And you know what? I did'nt know jack about what I was doing!

It is amazing, with how big this city has gotten, but nothing has changed since then. This city expects less

because that is all they have ever gotten. In the East these Jokers would be run out of town!

Infidel, I think there would be a market here for intelligent talk radio. For some reason listeners

have always had to accept less in Atlanta, and I'm not sure why. When I first came to Atlanta (30 yrs ago),

I covered sports for one of the top rated stations in Atlanta. I did it by default, because no one else

wanted to. And you know what? I did'nt know jack about what I was doing!

It is amazing, with how big this city has gotten, but nothing has changed since then. This city expects less

because that is all they have ever gotten. In the East these Jokers would be run out of town!

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have it, listen to it every day. But I don't think there's enough of us for it to be profitable enough.

That must have been an awesome experience though. I've often thought about calling in to offset the crazies, but who wants to sit around on hold indefinitely. That and F-Bombs have been dropping from me when it comes to the Falcons lately.