Dawg fans CMR has his man and some info regarding recruiting.

SacFalcFan

My question is why keep it a secret? I feel the longer he waits the more it could hurt him. The hiring could give UGA a boost on some recruits but by waiting these players might get persuaded by school. Also as mentioned before the fan backlash will be worse if it's not the caliber of DC the fans are looking for b/c he waited to say who it is.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is why keep it a secret? I feel the longer he waits the more it could hurt him. The hiring could give UGA a boost on some recruits but by waiting these players might get persuaded by school. Also as mentioned before the fan backlash will be worse if it's not the caliber of DC the fans are looking for b/c he waited to say who it is.

I think the only reason you hold it is if the DC is asking you to, perhaps to avoid disrupting their bowl game. In which case, the only bowl game worth holding out the inevitable would be a NC game. Then again, it could be that a deal is still being worked out and CMR is avoiding being embarrassed about being turned down.

that would make a fine hire and i hope cmr doesn't screw this up or go on the cheap.

I may have been the firat one to have brought up Bumpas' name as an option, but he's in his 60s and well settled at TCU with a guy he's worked at for multiple years and at other schools as well-- sort of like a Beamer/Foster combo. It's hard to get excited about it too much, though he would be a solid hire.

I'll step back and say that Van Gorder may not be out of the question either-- Falcons are almost out of the play-offs and the timing/silence makes sense from that stand-point.

And I'll throw out Brent Venebles as well.. it's a guessing game for now :)

Edited by Dawgy

Maybe we got DickK LeBeau. It would make sense since the steelers are losing so much right now and he is ready to leave the nfl to settle down alittle bit and get in with the young crowd. A very reliable source tells me that he was in athens this week walking around campus with richt. WHAT A MONSTER HIGH!

haha i mean we are just throwing out names so might as well throw out some big names right

Maybe we got DickK LeBeau. It would make sense since the steelers are losing so much right now and he is ready to leave the nfl to settle down alittle bit and get in with the young crowd. A very reliable source tells me that he was in athens this week walking around campus with richt. WHAT A MONSTER HIGH!

haha i mean we are just throwing out names so might as well throw out some big names right

:)

Edited by Smooches

:lol::lol: cmr has done a great job with locking down info.

recruits prolly know who it is. CMR asked them to keep it quiet. but i think he would of let them know.

No way would Richt or anyone in their right mind trust 17 and 18 year olds to keep something like that quiet. If Richt has indeed already made a hire then I'm willing to bet the # of people of people that know can be counted by the fingers on one's hand.

No way would Richt or anyone in their right mind trust 17 and 18 year olds to keep something like that quiet. If Richt has indeed already made a hire then I'm willing to bet the # of people of people that know can be counted by the fingers on one's hand.

You have a point, but I think Richt even said he made it a point to speak to the recruits about their commitments before and after the firings. I'm sure they have a good idea if they don't know outright who it is. I mean it's one thing to keep the fanbase guessing, but with kids you're bringing in under chaotic circumstances it should be made pretty clear.

I'm just wondering what everyone will think if Garner turns out to be the new DC.

According to the story in ABH, "Foster said he talked to Virginia Tech officials starting Saturday about a new deal that will add an annuity to his current five-year rollover contract."

That implies that as on Saturday, Foster was still in play (probaly our first choice), and probably was the coach CMR was referring to at the gala. I find it unlikely that CMR found an alternative for Foster by that evening- that could only happen if Bud got what he wanted from VT in the am, right after he contacted the administration there, notified CMR, and then CMR got a confrmation from an alternate coach by that same evening. Highly unlikely. More likely was that UGA's offer was good, as was the reaction from Bud Foster, causing CMR to be optimistic at the gala.

So looks like Bud is out, probably Kirby as well, and we may be slipping to our B list now (Koenning is B for me, but Sac likes him, so there may be hope). Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but this just seems logical.

According to the story in ABH, "Foster said he talked to Virginia Tech officials starting Saturday about a new deal that will add an annuity to his current five-year rollover contract."

That implies that as on Saturday, Foster was still in play (probaly our first choice), and probably was the coach CMR was referring to at the gala. I find it unlikely that CMR found an alternative for Foster by that evening- that could only happen if Bud got what he wanted from VT in the am, right after he contacted the administration there, notified CMR, and then CMR got a confrmation from an alternate coach by that same evening. Highly unlikely. More likely was that UGA's offer was good, as was the reaction from Bud Foster, causing CMR to be optimistic at the gala.

So looks like Bud is out, probably Kirby as well, and we may be slipping to our B list now (Koenning is B for me, but Sac likes him, so there may be hope). Sorry to sound so pessimistic, but this just seems logical.

I disagree there dawgy.. if foster was uga's top option they talked to him way before saturday.. he talked to vt on saturday which means they have been talking for many days before it.. he was not given an offer by uga, they gauged his interest.. illinois offered him and he called fsu and told uf no. there was a lot going on last week right after cmr fired the staff. i am sure they called a lot of guys to gauge their interest. most went through their agents. cmr said he had his guy, he wouldn't say that if it wasn't a done deal. he can't announce the hiring publicly til tomorrow at the earliest due to state law.. so we will see in the next two days and we will get the whole story.

I disagree there dawgy.. if foster was uga's top option they talked to him way before saturday.. he talked to vt on saturday which means they have been talking for many days before it.. he was not given an offer by uga, they gauged his interest.. illinois offered him and he called fsu and told uf no. there was a lot going on last week right after cmr fired the staff. i am sure they called a lot of guys to gauge their interest. most went through their agents. cmr said he had his guy, he wouldn't say that if it wasn't a done deal. he can't announce the hiring publicly til tomorrow at the earliest due to state law.. so we will see in the next two days and we will get the whole story.

Sac, you're my reason for hope in this cruel uncertain world ;)

Sac, you're my reason for hope in this cruel uncertain world ;)

lol.. i know there is very little out, but the agreement from a few guys on our board that have been reliable in the past all believe this will be announced very soon as early as tomorrow. Also someone who broke a few big commits said the agreement with the new dc was completed saturday morning fwiw.. I can't wait to see the other assistants. I hope we hire travis jones and andy mccollum.

one thing regarding foster, you really think they worked out that extension on saturday in a few hours.. no they have been working on that for weeks..

In the world of coaching you don't just fire a guy first without testing the intrest of the future replacements.

LOL.. I am soo loving and hating this whole thing, but here is a quote from a recruit named Jakar Hamilton:

"He said it would probably be after the bowls or sometime like that, but he did not give a specific time. So, I want to say it’s probably after the bowls."

so basically it means we may have to wait til after the bowl games before a dc is announced.. oh goodie..