Dawg fans CMR has his man and some info regarding recruiting.

SacFalcFan

A few recruiting items. This weekend's GALA helpe secure nickell robey. He is all dawg. Michael thornton says he is not leaning toward anywhere (see auburn) and he said the Dawgs know where they stand with him. He has known Rodney since he was 9th grade. I still think he is auburn's to lose, but who know really what's in his brain. Hutson Mason had a great time. IMO it depends on whether we move logan gray to wr. Even though that looks to be the plan it's not official.

Okay this comes from a guy who lives in Athens and was at the gala. He also broke a few commitments so when he says something you can take it to the bank. Well during the Gala he got to talk with CMR and here is his post:

"Last night I asked CMR if he had anything he wanted to share with me regarding the new DC. He just smiled and said "no but I got my man". He would not expand on that but I found what he said interesting. Just reporting what he said for what it's worth."

The talk on the uga boards is we will get an announcement at the beginning of the week. I am thinking Tuesday, but it could be Wednesday. I can't wait to see who CMR's man was he hired.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gut wants me to say it's Foster. My mind wants to say it's Kirby Smart because of the fact that he was seen chatting Bobo up at the Buford-Calhoun game. But my other side of my brain wants to say it's Tubberville because he's been reported to have bought a house in Athens within several real estate circles.

Which one do I want? I don't really know to be honest, as I don't think there's a bad candidate among the bunch. Tubberville, IMO, would be the least likely to be using the job as a springboard for a HC position, as I'm sure he's still getting calls. I also think he'd have a solid recruiting base because of his ties within the state as far as being a recruiter in the past goes.

Foster would, IMO, be second least likely to leave any time soon. He's had a great defense for years with a lower tier recruiting base. His defense would be scary good with the talent he'd be able to reel in at UGA, being in the SEC.

Kirby Smart is the hot name on several boards for vacant positions, and to me, would be the first of the bunch to leave for a better gig (HC job possibly). That's not to say he's not a great coordinator, but I also think about the fact that Saban is a genius and that he has always had great defenses in his regimes, so to say Smart is the mastermind would be like saying that Tom Landry's DC was the mastermind behind his 4-3 defense.

If I had to pick which one was at the top of my wish list, I'd say Bud Foster followed by Tubberville.

Edited by popcornplaya

I agree with you. Bud is #1 for me. Kirby is not "proven", as unfair as it sounds, but I'd take him for his youth and longevity at UGA over Tubberville. However, I would not be surprised at all if it is someone out of the blue. There is a 0.01% probability of this, but I do find myself thinking about Tony Dungy sometimes :).

Edited by Dawgy

Bud Foster would be an epic hire. I pray for this. Tommy Tuberville is #2 for me.. but Im sure Richt knows what he is doing, Lets hope for a big name though!

I highly doubt it's an unknown. At UGA you can't go out and bring in an unknown if you are CMR. His job depends on this hire and the fan base is already ticked off with him not firing willie after last season and if he goes out and risks his job on an unknown who doesn't excite the fan base nor recruits it will backfire. You want to go into the recruiting season and offseason where he does his tour with some positive buzz among the fans and recruits. He needs to make a solid known hire period and he knows it. From what i was told from those who talked to him he was quite excited about it, but wasn't divulging any information on who he has hired. I really think he is waiting so his new dc can hire the two coaches he wants and then announce it. Right now there is a lot of competition out there because of job openings for some great assistants.

Right now I think the hire comes from the following list:

Bud Foster

Kirby Smart

Vic Koenning

Dick Bumpas

I highly doubt it's an unknown. At UGA you can't go out and bring in an unknown if you are CMR. His job depends on this hire and the fan base is already ticked off with him not firing willie after last season and if he goes out and risks his job on an unknown who doesn't excite the fan base nor recruits it will backfire. You want to go into the recruiting season and offseason where he does his tour with some positive buzz among the fans and recruits. He needs to make a solid known hire period and he knows it. From what i was told from those who talked to him he was quite excited about it, but wasn't divulging any information on who he has hired. I really think he is waiting so his new dc can hire the two coaches he wants and then announce it. Right now there is a lot of competition out there because of job openings for some great assistants.

Right now I think the hire comes from the following list:

Bud Foster

Kirby Smart

Vic Koenning

**** Bumpas

with kirby smart or bud foster it seems like this would be a stepping stone to a future HC job somewhere else. I am not saying i blame them, but i want someone who will be here for a long while.

with kirby smart or bud foster it seems like this would be a stepping stone to a future HC job somewhere else. I am not saying i blame them, but i want someone who will be here for a long while.

With the rate of turnover of college coaches today ANY very good DC is going to have a shot at a HC position at least once every three or four years, if not more often, and is eventually going to take it. If a DC is really as stellar as we UGA fans are hoping he will be then he is going to get a shot at a HC gig within 3-5 years, at least, just by virtue of him putting a fantastic defense on the field at a school like UGA.

People hoping we hire a DC that is going to be here for 7-10+ years are kidding themselves. Willie would have stayed that long, but he was CMR's BFF, you aren't going to find that loyalty from just anyone who is as good as we are hoping the DC we hire is going to be. I don't care who we get as long as he stays at least 3 years and puts a defense on the field worthy of being called "Junkyard Dawgs" again. I think all the candidates on Sac's short list are capable of that.

"Last night I asked CMR if he had anything he wanted to share with me regarding the new DC. He just smiled and said "no but I got my man". He would not expand on that but I found what he said interesting. Just reporting what he said for what it's worth."

The talk on the uga boards is we will get an announcement at the beginning of the week. I am thinking Tuesday, but it could be Wednesday. I can't wait to see who CMR's man was he hired.

*crossing fingers*

Koenning wouldn't be a bad choice. I imagine most Dawg fans don't want a Clemson reject, but if Clemson had gone a different way besides Dabo, he would possibly still be at Clemson. He was not let go for poor performance, and he made it known he was upset by being passed over for the interim HC gig last year (without directly saying it). His defenses were never the problem for Clemson. Dabo wanted an attacking, blitzing defense, and that is not Koenning. I also got the impression Koenning did not think much of Dabo's eye for talent.

They did seem to struggle late in games, but that can just as easily be attributed to the Rob Spence offense (which often went AWOL a lot with 3 and outs, and led to a tired defense).

Almost all Clemson fans feel we would have won the ACC if Koenning was still here, so I think that is a good endorsement of him.

I want it to be Bud Foster badly. Let's look at his body of work for a second.

He's been with VT since 1999. In that time span(through the 08 season), he's had 7 seasons where he's been inside the top 6 in the nation in total defense, leading the nation twice. He's never been ranked lower than 51st in total defense, which he was one time. The other 2 seasons in that time span, he had the #32 defense and the #27 defense. His average total defense ranking is 13.1 in the nation. During the same time span, his defense has been in the top 3 in scoring defense 6 times. The other rankings for that time span, he's ranked 45th twice, 21st once and 16th once. That's a consistent top 45 scoring defense, and averages ranking 13.8th in the nation in scoring defense. His rushing defense has never ranked outside of #36 nationally. His passing defense in that timespan was outside of the top 50 only 3 times, being 56, 76, and 77 in those 3 seasons. He's still better than half of the field of DI teams.

He consistently has a top defense nationally. I also think he'd be less likely to leave than Kirby Smart, who's name already comes up in certain discussions.

Bud has also had 1 job during that time span. Kirby Smart has had 7 in the same span, 2 times being at Georgia to bolt back to Saban.

That said, Bud Foster is not only the apparent loyal candidate, but he's also the most consistent candidate available. If anyone out there could command big bucks, I'd give it to Foster. That's just me though. I love the lunch pail defense. It works great, and has for a long time at VT. With the quality of SEC recruits versus recruits he's getting at VT, there's no reason he couldn't improve his average even more.

That's why I want Bud.