How dumb can you be?

yesmann

These coordinators are TERRIBLE and have to go. Horrible play calling on offense, the offense was underachieving before the injuries. The bend and break zone defense with no pressure. Jesus effing christ, Smitty needs to fire both of them this offseason or he'll crash and burn with them. Another season like this one next year and Smitty is gone imo.

Dude, it was a fun play call. It was unexpected. The execution wasn't all that great so of course it didn't quite work but why not? First down, The saints have EVERYTHING to lose and we pretty much have NOTHING to lose. I liked it... and oh, did I forget that it was FUN? Man, have you guys forgotten that the whole point of NFL Sundays is FUN?? Some you guys take this stuff WAY too seriously.

Well, on the flipside:

The play results in a 30yd. gain..

is it still stupid?

---

Now, lemme make this clear. I'll agree it was a very questionable call. Though, I imagine you would be saying something different had the play gone the other way.

I would say dumb play call with lucky result. We weren't in a position to go high risk high reward. The offense was rolling and only needed 3 points to tie the game. I could understand a wildcat run. But reverses have a high liklihood of being big losses. Mularky is an idiot.

Dude, it was a fun play call. It was unexpected. The execution wasn't all that great so of course it didn't quite work but why not? First down, The saints have EVERYTHING to lose and we pretty much have NOTHING to lose. I liked it... and oh, did I forget that it was FUN? Man, have you guys forgotten that the whole point of NFL Sundays is FUN?? Some you guys take this stuff WAY too seriously.

lol. I thought you were serious there for a second. Just in case you aren'y joking though.. Unexpected wouldn't matter since we were in the wilcat and they knew it was going to be a run of some sort. Man, this staff gets out coached every week. At least they're fun though (especially for the other team).

Horrible play to call IMO...

We could've went with the wildcat once we got into the Ain'ts field...not the right time to make that call deep in your own territory. Regardless of what could've been, it resulted in a loss and then an INT...luckily, we got the ball back and was able to take another shot. I also believe we need a new offensive coordinator for the simple fact that our offense has been "vanilla" and predictable. I'm not counting out BVG just yet though...I want to see what he can do with a talented backfield and some better coverage LBs.

Well, on the flipside:

is it still stupid?

---

Now, lemme make this clear. I'll agree it was a very questionable call. Though, I imagine you would be saying something different had the play gone the other way.

It's still a terrible call that we just got really lucky with. The point is that the play was unnecessary. We were in a spot to drive with plenty of time on the clock. There was no need for that, which forced Redman to make a bad throw

Well, on the flipside:

is it still stupid?

---

That's the thing though, the wildcat reverse hasn't "worked" in the past two years we've run it. I remember gigantic yard-losses last year with this play as well.

We don't have the threat of one of our backs passing so I don't even understand the logic in running it.

Horrible play to call IMO...

We could've went with the wildcat once we got into the Ain'ts field...not the right time to make that call deep in your own territory. Regardless of what could've been, it resulted in a loss and then an INT...luckily, we got the ball back and was able to take another shot. I also believe we need a new offensive coordinator for the simple fact that our offense has been "vanilla" and predictable. I'm not counting out BVG just yet though...I want to see what he can do with a talented backfield and some better coverage LBs.

It's true that BVG hasn't had muc talent, but 28th ranked D isn't acceptable. Rather than seeing him with more talent to work with, I'd rather fire him and see what a proven coordinator could do with the talent. BVG's bend and break zone might become a bend don't break scheme with more talent. I'd rather see a defense that doesn't bend or break.

The Wildcat was awesome with my 2006 Razorbacks, and that's where it should have stayed. Why did we not continue what was working for us, why did we have to get cute with the play calling at a critical moment? WHY???

You have to change it up man. You can't make smart calls all game or the D will get used to it.

These coordinators are TERRIBLE and have to go. Horrible play calling on offense, the offense was underachieving before the injuries. The bend and break zone defense with no pressure. Jesus effing christ, Smitty needs to fire both of them this offseason or he'll crash and burn with them. Another season like this one next year and Smitty is gone imo.

I really can't fault VanGorder on this loss. He played with what little he had, which was no pass rush all year and a terrible secondary.

Now Mularkey, on the other hand, needs to get fired. Running a Wildcat formation (which is our weakest formation in the playbook IMHO) was the stupidest play that you could call. To get hit for a 12 yard loss made it even worse. Mularkey is showing the exact same tendencies that got him booted from Pittsburgh and Buffalo. He's too predicable and can't make adjustments.

That's the thing though, the wildcat reverse hasn't "worked" in the past two years we've run it. I remember gigantic yard-losses last year with this play as well.

We don't have the threat of one of our backs passing so I don't even understand the logic in running it.

The Wing-T (aka Wildcat/Wildbird) has never been about giving any threat with the pass. It's all misdirection running and getting the defense out of position and not knowing where the ball is.

But earlier in the game, Norwood was going to pass the ball, but Jenkins was covered on the play so he kept it. So, there is a small threat that he might pass the ball, but that would have been an awful call in that situation.

I really can't fault VanGorder on this loss. He played with what little he had, which was no pass rush all year and a terrible secondary.

Now Mularkey, on the other hand, needs to get fired. Running a Wildcat formation (which is our weakest formation in the playbook IMHO) was the stupidest play that you could call. To get hit for a 12 yard loss made it even worse. Mularkey is showing the exact same tendencies that got him booted from Pittsburgh and Buffalo. He's too predicable and can't make adjustments.

BVG and the D were not bad today. I'm judging him as a failure based on his entire body of work. Bad defense last year, even worse this year. He hasn't had much talent but he hasn't shown he'd be very good with more talent.

Actually, I thought Mularkey called a pretty good game today, considering his franchise QB and RB were on the bench. We moved the ball pretty good on the Saints all day long.

come on now, you know it's not about the 56 other calls, it's only the 1 call that didn't work that matters.

Actually, I thought Mularkey called a pretty good game today, considering his franchise QB and RB were on the bench. We moved the ball pretty good on the Saints all day long.

The saints D isn't that good in preventing the other team from moving the ball. They are 18th or so in the league in total defense I believe.

Yeah, because it's okay to make terrible calls in critical situations. It's only one play.

Hindsight is 20/20. If you've been setting up a play though, you look for critical situations to run it in. If they work, you're a genius, if they don't you're an idiot. The playcalling today was fine. This one play didn't work, and put us in a terrible position, but 1 play did not win or lose the game for us.

Hindsight is 20/20. If you've been setting up a play though, you look for critical situations to run it in. If they work, you're a genius, if they don't you're an idiot. The playcalling today was fine. This one play didn't work, and put us in a terrible position, but 1 play did not win or lose the game for us.

The result isn't what makes it a dumb play call. ****, he could have called a pass play that resulted in a 12 yard sack and it wouldn't have been dumb. Reverse plays have a higher probability for a big loss that any other play in football. To combine that with the wildcat means that the defense knows that it's a run. That play had very little chance for success and very high chance for failure since the D would be swarming the backfield. That play call was downright terrible. No it didn't loe us the game by itself. But the outcome very well could have been different if he didn't make such a dumb play call in that situation. We had great field position.

The result isn't what makes it a dumb play call. ****, he could have called a pass play that resulted in a 12 yard sack and it wouldn't have been dumb. Reverse plays have a higher probability for a big loss that any other play in football. To combine that with the wildcat means that the defense knows that it's a run. That play had very little chance for success and very high chance for failure since the D would be swarming the backfield. That play call was downright terrible. No it didn't loe us the game by itself. But the outcome very well could have been different if he didn't make such a dumb play call in that situation. We had great field position.

If you had been paying attention, the corners for New Orleans had been blitzing a lot at the end of the game. 3 straight I believe on the last drive. If New Orleans had sent their corners in again, Gay would have not been in any position to make that play and it could have gone for a huge gain, just like Weems previous run. You take a chance to beat the defense you expect, yes the play was a huge risk/reward play & we lost out on it. I wouldn't have called it, but I'm not going to second guess based on the result either.