Kiffin: recruiting probe a compliment

Unknøwn

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Tennessee football coach Lane Kiffin said he takes investigations of the school's recruiting practices as a compliment.

Kiffin said the strength of Tennessee's recruiting class, ranked by most analysts near the top nationally, has caused the unusual amount of interest in the Volunteers' methods, which are under investigation by the NCAA and the Southeastern Conference.

"I think when it comes to recruiting, we're at the highest level, and I think that people really want to know what we're doing," Kiffin said after practice Saturday. "They want to know how are we able to get interest from so many great players, and sign so many great players, so I think you have a lot of people coming at us."

Kiffin confirmed a report in Friday's New York Times that SEC officials are questioning Tennessee about an October recruiting trip to St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., in which Kiffin was accompanied by recruiting intern Steve Rubio, a St. Thomas Aquinas graduate and former Vols assistant coach.

Kiffin said Rubio acts as a personal assistant on some off-campus recruiting trips, but he did not think Rubio did any recruiting at the school, which would be a violation of NCAA rules.

"I know that he [Rubio] went in there and saw some of his old teachers and saw some of his coaches. I don't know that he did [recruit] at all," Kiffin said. "I never want to say never, but I will pretty much say that he did not while I was with him. And I don't think he could have, because they were practicing during the time that he went inside, anyway."

Mike Hamilton, the school's athletic director, said Tennessee took the SEC's review, like all recruiting ethics questions, "very seriously."

Kiffin said he assumed another SEC program turned in the potential violation, since the league office -- rather than the NCAA -- contacted Tennessee about the situation.

Meanwhile, Sports Illustrated posted a photo on its website Friday that shows two University of Tennessee hostesses with football recruits at a South Carolina game.

The Knoxville News Sentinel reported that the women in the photo are Lacey Earps and Dahra Johnson. Both are members of Orange Pride, a group mostly comprised of female students which is responsible for entertaining recruits on campus visits, among other duties.

The New York Times first reported on Wednesday the women traveled nearly 200 miles to Duncan, S.C., on Sept. 25 to watch UT commitments Brandon Willis and Corey Miller of Byrnes High School play in a game against Gaffney.

The fathers of Willis and Miller described the female Tennessee students as friends of their sons who promised in the summer they would drive down for a game.

But the visit could be interpreted by the NCAA as an illegal off-campus recruiting trip by non-sanctioned Tennessee personnel.

Kiffin has said he is not aware of any recruiting violations and has received no official inquiry from the NCAA.

I don't care if you're a Vols fan or not; somebody needs to sew Lane's mouth shut. Why can't the man just learn to STFU in certain circumstances? Even if there is some perverse logic behind his statements he's still risking the possibility that the investigative bodies will begin to take this as Lane tryin to "one up" them. It's obvious that the current Tennessee football administration is doing their very best to tiptoe up to the line regarding violations while still avoiding serious consequences. To do so is very risky. But by continuing to verbally poke them with a sharp stick Lane is courting trouble.

What a moron.. serious so meyer and saban want to know what kiffin does in order to recruit? No the issue is they are doing some very questionable/illegal things and it's coming out. You don't want the ncaa sniffing around your program. He needs to shut his pie hole because he is looking like the moron many thought he was before the season started. He will have to replace at least 5 coaches from the staff who were great recruiters and some terrific position coaches.

2 coaches going for massive pay rises is harldy jumping ship..in that case Florida is the Titantic as they have lost 3 guys!

there are plenty of coaches who don't leave just because of money if they work for a coach they respect and want to play for.. I can give you plenty of examples of that.. you guys are losing most than 2 coaches.. you will be losing 5 coaches and that is huge turnover even if it's guys who are making more money..

I'm no UT fan in any sense, but I do like Kiffin as a coach... he just REALLY does need to learn when it's time to talk and when it's time to stay quiet. There is nothing he can say in this situation that's going to put UT in a positive light.

The only thing that's going to help is if the investigation shows there were no major violations. Minor violations is something everyone should just get used to with Kiffin, I think.

I'm no UT fan in any sense, but I do like Kiffin as a coach... he just REALLY does need to learn when it's time to talk and when it's time to stay quiet. There is nothing he can say in this situation that's going to put UT in a positive light.

The only thing that's going to help is if the investigation shows there were no major violations. Minor violations is something everyone should just get used to with Kiffin, I think.

carter the ncaa doesn't spend the money they have on this investigation for hostesses visiting recruits. They don't send the suits unless they know of rule violations. What I am saying is they know a lot before they even went into this whole process. Kiffin is a moron with his comments and he knows it.

carter the ncaa doesn't spend the money they have on this investigation for hostesses visiting recruits. They don't send the suits unless they know of rule violations. What I am saying is they know a lot before they even went into this whole process. Kiffin is a moron with his comments and he knows it.

I'm not saying this just because I am a Tennessee fan, but I really think all you are gonna see out of this is 1 or 2 minor violations.

Up next...

Lane Kiffin explains how 5 years of probation is really a good thing and a sign that the NCAA is afraid Tennessee will render the entire BCS system moot. :wacko:

yes i can see it now "the ncaa is jleaous so they caught us cheating and instead of letting us off they showed their jealous by putting us on probation." :lol:

Minor violations is something everyone should just get used to with Kiffin, I think.

Seriously its not like Kiffin is the only person to ever get a minor violation, Ohio State had 375 this decade...which is over 40 a year, Oklahoma averages around 25, the lovely georgia bulldogs had 17 in '07 but Kiffin has made what? 6 and its like devils spawn is testing the rules

Seriously its not like Kiffin is the only person to ever get a minor violation, Ohio State had 375 this decade...which is over 40 a year, Oklahoma averages around 25, the lovely georgia bulldogs had 17 in '07 but Kiffin has made what? 6 and its like devils spawn is testing the rules

It's not so much that it's happening. As you said, most schools have some minor violations. It's more that Lane seems to be doing it intentionally with a belief that he will still win out with recruits by having these small violations.

I believe 100% that one of the reasons the NCAA is digging so deeply on this recent thing is because of the recent minor violations as well as Lane's public, seemingly cavalier(sp) attitude about those infractions.

I think Kiffin and co. might have some explaining to do as they claim to have known about the hostesses at the Byrnes game immediately after, but clearly did nothing about it as the same two hostesses were seen after that incident with other recruits.

His attitude that secondary violations are just a part of average everyday recruiting will dig his grave. Secondary violations happen to every program, but not intentionally and steps are taken to try and prevent future ones. That doesn't appear to be the case with Lane Kiffin.

yeah you need to quit reading volunteer message boards.. your number for uga is wrong, not even close.. and it's not just the minor violations it's the blatant violations that kiffin has done. he actually setup the joyner violation and planned it knowing up front what he is doing and if you don't see the difference there you never will and if you don't think they matter, they sure as heck do. Secondary violations can make it where you can't go after a recruit anymore. If you look at most violations they are the team called a recruit 2 many times or two coaches called him on the same day stuff like that. When you are traveling and you have multiple coaches calling a recruit that stuff can easily happen and it's a planned violation. Having espn in and setting up a gameday experience are indeed known secondary violations that are planned. When you plan to violate it's not surprising you set up that culture you start havign major violations shortly around the corner.

I just found out through a source VERY close to the Tennesse program that Lane Kiffin is now openly campaigning (sp) for the NCAA to levy the death penalty on the Vols program.

Kiffin is quoted as saying "I mean if you're gonna investigate us, threaten us, and sanction us, then at least be willing to do a good job of it. We know how good we're going to be, as does the rest of the country. That's why all these investigators are snooping around our program. Of course everybody is afraid of us; the Tennessee Volunteers have earned the right to get the death penalty."

"Kiffin has said he is not aware of any recruiting violations and has received no official inquiry from the NCAA."

Not aware??? WTH? The head coach is always aware of everything that their coaches or representatives of the university do while on recruiting visits. I'm pretty sure those girls would be considered as representatives of the university. I heard that Orson Charles got similar attention from some of the hostesses when he was being heavily recruited by Tennessee, and also that one of the hostesses was told by a recruit's father: "Stop rubbing your breasts against me and my son or there is going to be a problem." -Not my words, it came from the mouth of John Kincade on 680 the fan. Kincade also said that one hostess in particular has been dating one of the recruits as well, which I'm pretty sure is very much against the rules.

And yes, Kiffin is an idiot. He's a pretty good tactician on the field, but loves to stir the pot for the heck of it, when he should just learn to shut up.

Edited by RedandBlack4Life!