Anybody good at working the Baseball reference thing?

Goodoleboy58

I see that under career splits they have a stat called ROE (Reached on Error) I would like to see the top Braves in this category last year and maybe the top 10 or so of the MLB. Be interesting to see who really hustles on the Braves and how they stack up amongst the league leaders. Don't know if this is possible to sort but would be neat if anyone can figure it out.

2009 RoE Leaders:

1. Derrick Lee CHC 13

2. Matt Kemp LAD 12

3. Cristian Guzman WAS 12

4. Brenden Harris MIN 11

5. Dustin Pedroia CLE 11

6. six tied at 10

Braves Leaders:

1. Brian McCann 7

2. Martin Prado 6

3. Yunel Escobar 5

4. Casey Kotchman 4

5. Matt Diaz 4

6. Nate McLouth 3

7. Chipper Jones 3

8. Omar Infante 3

9. eight ties at 2

I don't think this is a particularly good measure of "hustle". In the course of a season, it has such small sample size I just don't think it would have that much actual meaning.

For it to have any meaning, you'd have to look at trends over multiple seasons. It's just too luck-dependent for any real use in a single season.

Alternatively, you can weigh it against other "hustle stats", like going 1st-3rd on a single and going 1st-Home on a double. Some of that is simply speed, but often some slower guys do well in those stats.

Gotta say, you have me intrigued.

Looks to me like Chase Utley may be the best baserunner in baseball. Not fastest, but best.

He stole 2B 22 times and didn't get caught. He was on 1B 271 times without a runner in front of him; so he steals at about a 8% clip. That looks to be pretty good for someone not really known for his speed, and hits in front of Ryan Franklin and Raul Ibanez.

He also either got to 3rd or scored on a single while on first 19 times in 33 opportunities. That's a lot of taking an extra base, behind only Chone Figgins and Orlando Cabrera. He also scored from 1st on a double 10 times, tied for the MLB lead with Emilio Bonificio. Out of 15 times he was on 2B when a single was hit, he scored 13 times.

He also reached on error 4 times, which seems pretty average for a starting position player.

Edited by K26dp

Looks to me like Chase Utley may be the best baserunner in baseball. Not fastest, but best.

He stole 2B 22 times and didn't get caught. He was on 1B 271 times without a runner in front of him; so he steals at about a 8% clip. That looks to be pretty good for someone not really known for his speed, and hits in front of Ryan Franklin and Raul Ibanez.

He also either got to 3rd or scored on a single while on first 19 times in 33 opportunities. That's a lot of taking an extra base, behind only Chone Figgins and Orlando Cabrera. He also scored from 1st on a double 10 times, tied for the MLB lead with Emilio Bonificio. Out of 15 times he was on 2B when a single was hit, he scored 13 times.

He also reached on error 4 times, which seems pretty average for a starting position player.

Even without stats, just watching him play, one can tell he hustles and is smart.

Speed is over-rated, can't think of any names off hand, but I know there's been several 'speed merchants' who couldn't steal a kiss from a hooker

Good stats on Utley I knew he was a tough player but that just puts some numbers out there to prove it. I bet that whole Philly team though has great baserunning numbers. They are some of the peskiest players I've ever seen.